New WNST protest planned

NewMarketSean

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing the anger a radio host with the intention of embarassing the worst owner in baseball drums up around here. Can't people seperate the idea and Nestor? Noone else in Baltimore has the platform to make a rally or protest of any significance.

Free the Birds was not laughed at by the national press. In fact it was pretty much universally embraced as "well, at least some people still care about what is happening to the Orioles." Angelos was forced to comment on it and even gave an interview to Pressbox. I don't know about you all, but I certainly want to hear more from Angelos regarding the state of the team and what he plans on doing with it. And if that's what comes from rallys like this than I consider it a success.

I consider Free the Birds a war against fan apathy as much as it is against the owner. Baltimore doesn't seem to care about the Orioles anymore and neither does our local media. There hasn't been too much made of this historic 25 game stretch the Orioles have been on in the national press either. Roch and Shmuck are good guys and are pretty funny, but do you think Boston, New York or Philly papers would have guys like that covering the team? Dan Shaugnessy b****** about the Red Sox, the best team in baseball, like Mike Preston b****** about the Ravens. (Why doesn't Preston cover the O's - that would be more appropriate actually). The Boston Globe and New York Times/Post would be destroying a franchise as pathetic as the Orioles and it would be happening on a daily basis.

I think Free the Birds was started to show that some people do still care about what has happened to this franchise and they care enought to speak out about it. I've made all these arguments last time around and am not sure I want to get back into it, so I'll just leave it at that.

I went last year and I will not go this year. Mainly, because I don't care anymore. Last year when the Ravens were in the playoffs this city was painted purple and that's all anyone talked about. I seem to remember that feeling in the fall of 1997 and saying "wow, the ravens are in for a struggle, this is a baseball town."

I just don't care anymore, it's too late. This team will not be good for at least three more years, but wasting my $8 on this team isn't worth it. They've done nothing for me the fan other than provide me with a shotty product and players that don't even want to be here.

I could read the box scores before I could read and it saddens me every day that the Orioles are disgracing the wonerful city of Baltimore, but going to the rally won't help.

I went last year and I will not go this year. Mainly, because I don't care anymore. Last year when the Ravens were in the playoffs this city was painted purple and that's all anyone talked about. I seem to remember that feeling in the fall of 1997 and saying "wow, the ravens are in for a struggle, this is a baseball town."

I just don't care anymore, it's too late. This team will not be good for at least three more years, but wasting my $8 on this team isn't worth it. They've done nothing for me the fan other than provide me with a shotty product and players that don't even want to be here.

I could read the box scores before I could read and it saddens me every day that the Orioles are disgracing the wonerful city of Baltimore, but going to the rally won't help.

Case in point.

a second thought...

Why would you not want to at least take a chance. People poo poo the idea so quickly, however they don't have any better ideas. If this is something that could actually show management they're not doing a good enough job, why not try it. The fact that this makes people angry shows that the O's fans on this board are like beaten wives that think their husband will change. Without making a statement, while this isn't enough of a statement, they will not change.

a second thought...

Why would you not want to at least take a chance. People poo poo the idea so quickly, however they don't have any better ideas. If this is something that could actually show management they're not doing a good enough job, why not try it. The fact that this makes people angry shows that the O's fans on this board are like beaten wives that think their husband will change. Without making a statement, while this isn't enough of a statement, they will not change.

I've posted better ideas for actual protests before, but they have been scoffed-at as too impractical, because the people doing the protesting are too lazy to actually do something meaningful, so they spend their time screaming at a brick wall.

Because, you know, a couple fans walking and chanting around the ballpark will effect change when losing does not.

a second thought...

We want the Orioles to be better, but don't be confused here. This isn't about making the Orioles better, its about a bitter little man named "Nasty" of all things who wants to see how many people will follow him so he can advertise his radio station.

You know, I have tried like hell to support Nestor and WNST over the years, and to be quite honest, I love Haynie and Rob Long, but everytime I give Drew a second chance he immediately starts into the constant Oriole bashing. If Nestor and Drew truly cared about the Orioles, they would go to the stadium ALL the time without any fanfare, without any protests, and without tooting their own horn on their blog, and they would ROOT for the men down there on the field, the guys playing who have NOTHING to do with Peter Angelos or the front office! You want a winner Nestor? Then ROOT for OUR Orioles...don't root against them at the park and on your radio station! :mad:

I would post something about my feelings on Nestor and Drew, but some lurker would just copy it and email it to them two (insert bad name here) and they would use it as fodder on their little radio station. I say "their little radio station" because every time Drew or Nestor refers to us at the OH, its always as "That little fan site who defends the Orioles." I say PooP on anything Nestor and/or Drew are putting together!

By the way, its kinds funny that now that the honeymoon period is over with the Ravens, the cynical Baltimore sports fans are starting to criticize everything they do as well. Put that together with the fact that many of the top Ravens NOW have radio shows on 1300 rather than on WNST, and it won't be long before "the Nasty One" is also critical of the Ravens just like he is the Orioles now! Remember you heard it here first!

Oh, I know I've had some of the things I said at the Sun boards last year read over the air by that morning-show loser (actually losers, since one got himself fired since then).

I have no doubt that if Nestor were banned from the locker room for not being a journalist, or something like that, he would immediately turn on the Ravens.

We want the Orioles to be better, but don't be confused here. This isn't about making the Orioles better, its about a bitter little man named "Nasty" of all things who wants to see how many people will follow him so he can advertise his radio station.

You know, I have tried like hell to support Nestor and WNST over the years, and to be quite honest, I love Haynie and Rob Long, but everytime I give Drew a second chance he immediately starts into the constant Oriole bashing. If Nestor and Drew truly cared about the Orioles, they would go to the stadium ALL the time without any fanfare, without any protests, and without tooting their own horn on their blog, and they would ROOT for the men down there on the field, the guys playing who have NOTHING to do with Peter Angelos or the front office! You want a winner Nestor? Then ROOT for OUR Orioles...don't root against them at the park and on your radio station! :mad:

Been making that argument since the first protest rumors last year.

how would going to the game and rooting help?

Seriously? How would that make the team better? I've personally done that for 20 some years and they still suck. I yell loud and proud, usually the ushers will tell you to shut up. How does that make Tejada make routine ground balls, Mora hit .300 again, anyone hit more than 25 bombs, or give the bullpen the ability to get an out. THeir record isn't that differnt on the road, so your arguement doesn't make sense.

how would going to the game and rooting help?

Seriously? How would that make the team better? I've personally done that for 20 some years and they still suck. I yell loud and proud, usually the ushers will tell you to shut up. How does that make Tejada make routine ground balls, Mora hit .300 again, anyone hit more than 25 bombs, or give the bullpen the ability to get an out. THeir record isn't that differnt on the road, so your arguement doesn't make sense.

It does if I'm being sarcastic...

People here just need to accept that there are O's fans out there that feel different from you. They feel hatred toward the current team, the front office. They loathe everything Orioles because it only reminds them how far the team has fallen since they days when they were the best organization in baseball. You guys forget sometimes that there are emotions attached to this team that run as deep as family and friendship. People take this stuff seriously. They can't shrug off things like SilentJames and say "Ah well, other teams do the same things the Orioles do." Back in their time, the Orioles were the ONLY ones doing things a certain way. That kind of rationale means nothing to them. They can't look at the team like BaltimoreTerp and say "They are going to be a winning team this year." For one, it's just not true, and two, they have seen enough. They can't allow themselve to believe in the Orioles because they've only been hurt.

I know Nestor has his own interests at heart here. But he wouldn't do this if he didn't care. There are other ways for him to make money and get attention. He could do any number of things with the Ravens since that is all he normally talks about. So let's remember where this protest is coming from. 1. The heart. 2. the wallet.

I don't doubt anyone here is a tried and true Oriole fan. It just makes me sick to my stomach to sit here and listen to the ramblings of some people who bash others for having a negative opinion of the team. Nasty Nestor, the fans, other doom and gloomers... ME... has every friggin right to voice their opinion no matter what the front office has "done" since hiring MacPhail... since signing mediocre players to make a run at .500 or anything other "positive" the team has done since whenever.

There is so much work to be done to turn this team around that its not even funny. And to think that simply hiring one man in MacPhail makes those things all fine and good is foolish. MacPhail will probably fail at his job. That is the sad reality that people need to seriously consider around here.

The bottom line is that this organization continues to not know how to tie their own shoe laces, and until they show the fans something, ie through the standings, the fans have every right to complain about whats going on. The fans are past player "development", they are past looking toward next year.

This organization has been sliding since 2004. And no matter who they hire, that is the truth.

So I'll say again, this protest absolutely has merit and EVERYONE involved has a right to be there and voice their opinion as much as the people here who say the opposite.

Sorry for the rant.

People here just need to accept that there are O's fans out there that feel different from you.

My god, can we get this quote posted in legendary status please?

NMS, yeah they DO have the right to do it. No one here is saying that they don't. But we also have the right to call it a sham and a publicity stunt as well.

Nasty has repeatedly said over the years that all would be forgiven if Peter would allow him to interview him.

So Peter remains the owner, everything else stays the same and Nasty gets his interview and everyone is happy. But the thing is, most people don't care about him, no matter how inflated his ego may be.

I used to be invited on that station repeatedly as an on air guest. Suddenly that stopped. Seriously, I was getting calls from producers on a weekly basis. I criticized Nestor in a podcast - those calls stopped.

And WHO is controlling opinions?

Archived