We Have The Right GM

Peace21

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lack of viable free agents next year is why I think we should be in on Holliday if we can get him in the 5/85 range. Holliday is a better long term option than either Carlos Pena or Derek Lee. We could then move Reimold to first or in trade for a prospect.

I agree completely. It's nice to say "next year will be the big year", but there is squat available on the FA market next year.

I agree completely. It's nice to say "next year will be the big year", but there is squat available on the FA market next year.

And you know what the rallying cry will be around here...."Its ok to wait another year....There is nothing available this year but next year, the FA market is much better"

And then, after we fail to get anyone in 2011, the cry will be...They wanted and got too much money, wait until next year!!

And you know what the rallying cry will be around here...."Its ok to wait another year....There is nothing available this year but next year, the FA market is much better"

And then, after we fail to get anyone in 2011, the cry will be...They wanted and got too much money, wait until next year!!

There are always some good opportunities on the market, free agent and otherwise. There are players who don't seem that attractive now who will seem a lot more attractive after a good 2010 season. That happens every year. Also, there are always some good players available in trades, and I think we may be in better position to do that in a year if our rotation solidifies during 2010 as we hope. So, I can't sit here and say there will be nobody attractive to go get next offseason.

I'm not fully satisfied with what's happened so far this winter, but the winter isn't over yet. I do think getting a legit, reliable big bat is still an important priority.

There are always some good opportunities on the market, free agent and otherwise. There are players who don't seem that attractive now who will seem a lot more attractive after a good 2010 season. That happens every year. Also, there are always some good players available in trades, and I think we may be in better position to do that in a year if our rotation solidifies during 2010 as we hope. So, I can't sit here and say there will be nobody attractive to go get next offseason.

I'm not fully satisfied with what's happened so far this winter, but the winter isn't over yet. I do think getting a legit, reliable big bat is still an important priority.

If this happens then I will be happy with the offseason. I would like to add a longterm answer to SS but I can deal with Izzy for one more year as long as we get that bat. If we don't get either a bat or SS then I will consider the offseason a failure.

I am more of a fan now than I have ever been. My expectations are low due to the Red Sox and Yankee's in our division, but I love watching the team grow from within and following the progress of our young guys all the way up the system.

I think AM is doing a GREAT job with what he has to work with.

Guest rochester
How would this team,this system,and front office look if we kept Beattiegan or Duq and Flanny as the GMs? I say this because I believe we would be still the laughing stock of MLB. If AM has changed anything its that. I have spoken to several people that are involved with the game and say the Os are serious and doing it right with AM. So if that's the case then why are his own team fans not happy with what he has done?

'tis the season and generation that needs instant gratification!

As MacPhail himself has outlined, I kind of look at his job in stages, or phases.

Phase 1 is obviously collecting and compiling as much young talented players as possible. In terms of the big league club, I would say that this part of the job is 95% done.

The reason that so many people around here are behind MacPhail is that nobody has done it this way (the right way IMO) in recent memory. We have clamored for this phase for a good 12 years now. It should have happened back in the late 90's. Having not been a fan of any team who has torn everything up and rebuilt internally, I don't have intimate knowledge of how what MacPhail has done thus far compares. I guess there's really no gauge other than to see how it plays out. Sure, you can read Baseball America or BP or whatever other prospect evaluation site you like and see that there are a lot of former top 50 prospects on our 25 man roster. That's all well and good. They comprise the foundation, and that is the most important part of this "project."

Phase 2 is something that gets glossed over on here often. A legitimate question is what IS phase 2, anyways? To me, it's plug the remaining holes with short term stop gaps while the youth gets acclimated to ML competition. There are still some growing pains associated with this phase, unfortunately. The good news is that this phase has the potential to be relatively succinct. The bad news is that it might become apparent that the guys MacPhail has compiled just aren't gonna cut it. We're in the middle of this thing right now. This is the fun part, people. Try to enjoy it instead of whine and cry about it.

Now, it is certainly legitimate to question when phase 3 begins. It's also legitimate to question what it'll look like. There is such a wide range of opinion on here about this phase. Many people see the money the MFY's of the world throw around and convince themselves that we just cannot compete without a couple players who make a quarter billion dollars. Others are of the belief that they can get by with everything they've already got. Obviously, the truth lies somewhere inbetween, and each free agent class is different. There may be opportunities that make sense for the Orioles to dump 20% of their payroll into one player. There may also be opportunities to trade for a big time player. You can't pigeonhole yourself into acquiring players via free agency. A team like the Orioles cannot build a sustainable winner via free agency. Let me repeat that: A team like the Orioles cannot build a sustainable winner via free agency.

The Orioles have a chance to become very good very fast with the core they have right now. They also have a chance to become very expensive very fast, just based on what they've already got.

People equate monetary expenditure with success, and the fact of the matter is that isn't always the case. And when it's not the case, it can be a very bad, crippling thing. So you have to be cautious.

That's not to understate the importance of Phase 3. Not only will that be the icing, but it will also signify that the previous two phases were successful. And oh, by the way, while all this is going on, you need to be running a constant phase 1 organizationally via the draft, trades & international signings (which, incidentally, MacPhail needs to improve upon.)

I know it's been a long time since the Orioles played meaningful baseball late in the summer, but for the first time in a long time, there is hope in the near future.

As MacPhail himself has outlined, I kind of look at his job in stages, or phases.

Phase 1 is obviously collecting and compiling as much young talented players as possible. In terms of the big league club, I would say that this part of the job is 95% done....

Phase 2 is something that gets glossed over on here often. A legitimate question is what IS phase 2, anyways? To me, it's plug the remaining holes with short term stop gaps while the youth gets acclimated to ML competition. There are still some growing pains associated with this phase, unfortunately. The good news is that this phase has the potential to be relatively succinct. The bad news is that it might become apparent that the guys MacPhail has compiled just aren't gonna cut it. We're in the middle of this thing right now. This is the fun part, people. Try to enjoy it instead of whine and cry about it.

Now, it is certainly legitimate to question when phase 3 begins. It's also legitimate to question what it'll look like. There is such a wide range of opinion on here about this phase. Many people see the money the MFY's of the world throw around and convince themselves that we just cannot compete without a couple players who make a quarter billion dollars. Others are of the belief that they can get by with everything they've already got. Obviously, the truth lies somewhere inbetween, and each free agent class is different. There may be opportunities that make sense for the Orioles to dump 20% of their payroll into one player. There may also be opportunities to trade for a big time player. You can't pigeonhole yourself into acquiring players via free agency. A team like the Orioles cannot build a sustainable winner via free agency. Let me repeat that: A team like the Orioles cannot build a sustainable winner via free agency.

The Orioles have a chance to become very good very fast with the core they have right now. They also have a chance to become very expensive very fast, just based on what they've already got.

People equate monetary expenditure with success, and the fact of the matter is that isn't always the case. And when it's not the case, it can be a very bad, crippling thing. So you have to be cautious.

That's not to understate the importance of Phase 3. Not only will that be the icing, but it will also signify that the previous two phases were successful. And oh, by the way, while all this is going on, you need to be running a constant phase 1 organizationally via the draft, trades & international signings (which, incidentally, MacPhail needs to improve upon.)

I know it's been a long time since the Orioles played meaningful baseball late in the summer, but for the first time in a long time, there is hope in the near future.

This is a great, great post. Your description of the three phases, and the uncertainties that surround the phase we are in now (Phase 2) is just about dead perfect.

I don't think Phase 2 needs to be very long, IF enough of the young talent pans out. One year may be enough. I hope that's the case, but I'm emotionally prepared in case it isn't.

This job shouldn't be in phases...Its quite simple...You obtain the talent you need when it is readily available.

Now, you do that within the framework of your budget, future, etc...Just because AGOn may be available, that doesn't mean you do something stupid.

But if you see a guy out there that you feel is a building block long term and you can obtain him for a reasonable cost, either in terms of money or players, then you do it.

The idea that you have to wait until you are on the verge of something is so poor and such a cop out.

A team like the Orioles cannot build a sustainable winner via free agency. Let me repeat that: A team like the Orioles cannot build a sustainable winner via free agency.
We can't build a winner without dipping into the free agent market. In twenty-four years, Andy MacPhail has never built a sustainable winner. Let me repeat that: Andy MacPhail has never built a sustainable winner.
They also have a chance to become very expensive very fast, just based on what they've already got.
Very fast? Markakis and Roberts are locked up. Who, other than Jones, stands to possibly have a big payday coming to them next offseason? How many years away are we from when the collective group of Matusz, Tillman, and Wieters become "very expensive?"

This job shouldn't be in phases...Its quite simple...You obtain the talent you need when it is readily available.

Now, you do that within the framework of your budget, future, etc...Just because AGOn may be available, that doesn't mean you do something stupid.

But if you see a guy out there that you feel is a building block long term and you can obtain him for a reasonable cost, either in terms of money or players, then you do it.

The idea that you have to wait until you are on the verge of something is so poor and such a cop out.

"Semantics."

I disagree with the premise of this thread. Until this team can surface in the win total somewhere around 500 in total wins at the end of a season they are still one of the laughing stock doormats in MLB. Its the wins that count man not the perception. You don't get squat for perception. The tangible thing is WINS, WINS, WINS. Until they get the AM has'n't truly done anything noteworthy at all as its the RESULTS that MATTER, and NOTHING ELSE!:eek:

Bottom Line if the WINS don't significantly increase this year and 2011 AM will have failed and should be viewed little differently than his predecessors. His methods were better but if the results were the same it is moot. For one thing, he doesn't pay attention to what Boston and NY are doing and to me that is about as big a mistake as any GM in the AL East could ever make. You don't ignore those whom you have to compete against. Instead you build a team to beat them. Does anyone think the Ravens ignore the Steelers, who have won their division and the superbowl? No, they drafted a big young QB similar to Ben, and have drafted lineman to counter the Steelers tremendous pass rush. It only makes sense now doesn't it? What AM is doing is not very smart in ignoring Boston and NY.

We can't build a winner without dipping into the free agent market. In twenty-four years, Andy MacPhail has never built a sustainable winner. Let me repeat that: Andy MacPhail has never built a sustainable winner.

Very fast? Markakis and Roberts are locked up. Who, other than Jones, stands to possibly have a big payday coming to them next offseason? How many years away are we from when the collective group of Matusz, Tillman, and Wieters become "very expensive?"

Of course you can't build a winner without dipping into the free agent market. I'm not sure where I indicated otherwise :confused:.

Frankly, I don't really care about MacPhail's history. I'm evaluating him based on what he has done here in the past two years. I don't care how he gets talented players here, whether it's via free agency, via trade or whatever. Who cares?!?! Get talented players and win games.

And yes, very fast. In 2-3 years if these kids are all they've been hyped to be, they will be getting PAID in arbitration. So again, my definition of "very fast" is different than yours.

I disagree with the premise of this thread. Until this team can surface in the win total somewhere around 500 in total wins at the end of a season they are still one of the laughing stock doormats in MLB. Its the wins that count man not the perception. You don't get squat for perception. The tangible thing is WINS, WINS, WINS. Until they get the AM has'n't truly done anything noteworthy at all as its the RESULTS that MATTER, and NOTHING ELSE!:eek:

Perception matters these past few years though since AM became the GM. It helps to be taking seriously by teams and agents. They used to hate dealing with the Orioles because of Angelos and dealing with two GMs. Yes we need wins,but to be taken seriously now helps.

Archived