Anyone else watch the Ken Burns' Baseball marathon on MLB Network yesterday?

ChaosLex

There are times when I really wanna hate this sport. The end of the 2009 postseason being a textbook example. But I'll be damned if watching Burns' iconic documentary didn't renew my faith in America's oldest national pastime.

Boy Howdy had a great quote recently (that can't be repped enough) that I fear will be overlooked, because it was in the multi-page "Rosenthal: The rest of the AL East should give up" thread.

So much of this stuff sounds like cry-baby, bellyaching to me. You want to be the best? You've got to beat the best.

Life is not fair, so why should major league baseball be? I don't follow sports to escape from reality. Rather, sports are a big part of my reality.

When the Orioles came to Baltimore in 1954, the Yankees were in the midst of winning 15 AL pennants in 18 years! There were no backdoors into the post-season, like division crowns and wild cards.

When their key players got old, they started to suck, and any Orioles fan worth their salt ought to know that spending tons of money does not guarantee results in the standings.

Mariano's 40, Jeter, A-Rod, Pettite & Posada have already seen their best days. The storm will soon pass, and frankly I can't wait to watch the evil empire crumble and fall. And it will.

Like Jimmy Cliff sings "The harder they come, the harder they fall."

After watching The Shot Heared Round The World, Bill Mazeroski's homerun, the Amazin' Mets, etc., my faith is renewed that anything, ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING, can happen in this sport. For better (the 2008 Rays) or for worse (the Cubs 100+ year WS drought).

I have no idea whether we're going to win anytime soon. However, the deck was stacked against us once (as Boy Howdy pointed out), and I see no reason why we can't overcome again.

Not to derail, but whats the book?

Lex, I dig the OP as well as Boom Boom Dixon's post...but baseball in 1954 was a vastly different game back then.

That said, I like the sentiment and hope for the same.

I agree to an extent. However, the MFY's lineup and rotation was just as formidable then, IMO.

I agree to an extent. However, the MFY's lineup and rotation was just as formidable then, IMO.

It was, but what we're not looking at is the difference in the financial aspects of the game. Free agency hadn't started, it wasn't even a thought in anyones mind.

While the on field talent was just as formidable, the ability to put it there was vastly different. I'm not sure if there was a bigger advantage in 1954 than there is now...but what hasn't changed is that a huge advantage still exists and the playing field ain't level.

It'll always tilt to the favor of the Yankees. Always has, always will.

The Yankees of today don't get old; they reload.

Out goes Giambi; in comes Teixeira.

Out goes Mussina; in comes Sabathia and Burnett.

Back then it was worse. Ruth was getting older, so they brought in Gehrig. As Gehrig ages they bring in DiMaggio. As DiMaggio ages, they bring in Yogi and Mantle to carry on the torch.

I don't have MLB network, but I have Ken Burns on VHS. I usually watch a large chunk of it like in February or March. When I'm really itching for baseball but it's not quite here yet. Of all all the GREAT things Burns has done, I think Baseball is the best.

I watched just about all of "the 4th inning" yesterday, which was largely about Ruth, and a decent portion of "the 5th inning" which had a lot to do with the Negro Leagues. Great stuff, all of it.

I haven't watched the full series yet, but its on my to-do list.

Supposedly, Ken Burns is working on a 10th inning, which will cover the period from 1994 through the present. I think it's set to be released sometime in 2010. :)

Supposedly, Ken Burns is working on a 10th inning, which will cover the period from 1994 through the present. I think it's set to be released sometime in 2010. :)
At Cal's 2130 game, I met Ken Burns as he was walking off the field with Jon Miller. As he signed a baseball for me, I thanked him and told him he needed to add an extra innings with Cal and the streak. It finally took him fifteen years to figure that out;)

Archived