Urban Meyer stepping down as FLA head coach

PaulBako

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletic director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer, 45, said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

Something is missing here. Either he just found out something devastating about his health, or there is something else going on behind-the-scenes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Something is missing here. Either he just found out something devastating about his health, or there is something else going on behind-the-scenes.

I'm going with that one, and I hope it isn't too serious.

EDIT: ESPN says he was admitted to the hospital after the SEC Championship with chest pains. I hadn't heard about that before.

I'm going with that one' date=' and I hope it isn't too serious.

[b']EDIT: ESPN says he was admitted to the hospital after the SEC Championship with chest pains. I hadn't heard about that before.[/b]

It was reported the day after the SEC Championship game as dehydration. It was pretty big news, but was downplayed.

This is terrible news for the Meyer family and the Florida football program. Florida will have to find a new coach ASAP and will get way behind in recruiting. All the best to Urban and his family. I hope he works this out.

It was reported the day after the SEC Championship game as dehydration. It was pretty big news, but was downplayed.

This is terrible news for the Meyer family and the Florida football program. Florida will have to find a new coach ASAP and will get way behind in recruiting. All the best to Urban and his family. I hope he works this out.

Just of the top of my head, I'm thinking they make a big push to get Chris Petersen.

I root for Alabama and obviously cannot stand Florida but I can't help but feel terrible for Meyer. A young guy, who was definitely one of the premier coaches in the game being forced to leave the game way too early.

Feel terrible for him, but feel great that the Gators suffer. Screw Florida.

This is terrible news for the Meyer family and the Florida football program.

It's great news for the Meyer family. They're rich and now they get their father/husband back for a change. No way they lose. FL likely is losing on it, but no way the Meyer family is.

Evidently, he's been having stress-related chest pains for quite some time...

Archived