Addressing the Yankees' Unfair Advantage: Which is more likely?

Jagwar

Which is a more likely response from MLB to address the Yankees' Payroll Advantage  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which is a more likely response from MLB to address the Yankees' Payroll Advantage

• MLB institutes a salary cap (with or without a floor)
    • MLB re-aligns, putting large market teams together
    • MLB moves a team into the NYC market

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allowing other teams access to the NY market would be the best choice but highly unlikely to happen. I think it would have the best impact. But they could also fix the revenue sharing on both sides. But nothing is likely to happen when only a hand full of teams are really feeling the brunt of the disparity.

Out of the three options listed, a salary cap is the owners' most likely response to this situation because owners everywhere--but especially MLB owners--resent every single penny of salary they pay. Always have, always will. So salary suppression for them is a bit of a Holy Grail.

The four of you out there who pay attention to my posts know that my version of "premium free agents" is "vastly enhanced revenue sharing". It remains my firm belief that this is the best, and perhaps only realistic way to solve the Yankee$ problem. It also remains my firm belief that--absent a couple of MLB teams actually losing money--we're all more likely to die in a meteor strike than to see this happen.

So you don't think the Yanks have a competitive advantage?

I do. But I don't think it makes them invincible. And, I think there are a lot of other "disadvantaged" teams that - in lieu of whining about how bad they have it - go out and do something about it. It just really rubs me the wrong way when I hear the "it's not fair blah blah blah" refrain. Someone else has an easier shake in life. So, instead of working hard to make if for yourself, we're all just interested in making it harder for the big guy.

I do. But I don't think it makes them invincible. And, I think there are a lot of other "disadvantaged" teams that - in lieu of whining about how bad they have it - go out and do something about it. It just really rubs me the wrong way when I hear the "it's not fair blah blah blah" refrain. Someone else has an easier shake in life. So, instead of working hard to make if for yourself, we're all just interested in making it harder for the big guy.

Noting the system is screwed up and wanting something done about it and doing your best to win within the confines of that screwed up system are not mutually exclusive concepts. :D

Noting the system is screwed up and wanting something done about it and doing your best to win within the confines of that screwed up system are not mutually exclusive concepts. :D

I never said they were. But, when people start talking about realigning to put the "big boys" separate from the others...it just sounds like loser talk.

I've found this to be a very simple way to explain to Yankees fans how the rest of MLB views competing with them.

Suppose we play a game of Monopoly and I start with $5000 while the rest of the players start with $2000. That's what it's like to compete against the Yankees. Sure, the game still needs to be played, but they start with a very large comparitive advantage.

I've yet to have a Yankees fan really disagree with that premise.

Teams stop crying and admit non-NY teams win the WS pretty darned often?

Who said anything about winning the WS? Isn't it about being in the playoffs, advancing, having a real shot year after year to win the WS?

O's fans would be much less... cantankerous, if the O's had even made the playoffs once or twice in the last 12 years.

Who said anything about winning the WS? Isn't it about being in the playoffs, advancing, having a real shot year after year to win the WS?

O's fans would be much less... cantankerous, if the O's had even made the playoffs once or twice in the last 12 years.

Non-NY teams make the playoffs even more often than they win the WS. ;)

Archived