Time to trade Felix Pie

SilentJames

I would personally see what San Diego would be willingto give up for Adam Jones.

I'd have to think long and hard if they offered up Adrian Gonzalez straight up. And you know they're not going that high.

Kevin Goldstein thinks Adam Jones is the 14th most valuable player in the world for the 2010s. I tend to agree. Neither Gonzalez nor Blanks made even the honorable mentions.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most alarming stat on Pie to me is the fact that with all that speed, he only stole 1 base in 252 at bats. For someone who has been in professional baseball for seven years and has that kind of speed, that seriously makes me question his baseball instincts.

The most alarming stat on Pie to me is the fact that with all that speed, he only stole 1 base in 252 at bats. For someone who has been in professional baseball for seven years and has that kind of speed, that seriously makes me question his baseball instincts.

Mike Devereaux was a very good center fielder, very fast, and a good ballplayer who contributed to good major league teams. He was a terrible base stealer, below break-even for his career (60%).

Some people just don't have the ability to read a pitcher and get a good jump, or just don't have the reaction time to turn speed into a base stealing weapon.

I like to think of Pie not as a guy with bad instincts, but as a plus-plus outfielder with power and speed who could be a very valuable player with no steals at all.

Mike Devereaux was a very good center fielder, very fast, and a good ballplayer who contributed to good major league teams. He was a terrible base stealer, below break-even for his career (60%).

Some people just don't have the ability to read a pitcher and get a good jump, or just don't have the reaction time to turn speed into a base stealing weapon.

I like to think of Pie not as a guy with bad instincts, but as a plus-plus outfielder with power and speed who could be a very valuable player with no steals at all.

Interesting you bring up Deveraux. That is exactly the guy I think of when I think of Felix Pie. As much as I liked him, he ended his career with a .254 average and a .709 OPS. If we are looking at another Mike Deveraux in Felix Pie, then I would think his value is higher right now than it will ever be.

I still think we are just fine going into 2010 with all five! From a risk analysis perspective, Pie is not worth much more now than he was when we traded for him... maybe a little bit... he is still a project, however he could be worth much more if he ever realizes his potential. So trading him now would be trading low and IMHO the wrong thing to do. I also think we should do the same thing with Scott and hang on to him into April, May, June and hopefully we get a hot streak out of him and can trade him for more return value than he appears to be worth at the moment.

I was wondering if Scott for Gaudin right now would be too off the wall? Would we even want another arm that appears to be overpaid, but is still young. Maybe the Yanks can add a low prospect? :scratchchinhmm:

Nobody really knows how good Pie is in the field. All anybody knows is he got the tools to be a good/great fielder.

How he uses his tools is what matters. Unless you have 3000 innings (around 3 seasons) it is pretty damn hard to know what kind of value a player is in the field.

Yet, you are ready to declare Reimold to be an average or better LFer?

As usual, your "logic" is amusing to us all.

Nobody really knows how good Pie is in the field. All anybody knows is he got the tools to be a good/great fielder.

How he uses his tools is what matters. Unless you have 3000 innings (around 3 seasons) it is pretty damn hard to know what kind of value a player is in the field.

I disagree with this. It may take a few season to get a good statistical handle on comparable value of a player's defense. However, I think you can get pretty close, or in other words a "good idea", of a player's defensive capabilities in much less time.

To be clear, I agree that you probably need a few seasons if you are talking about nailing down the comparative value of players using defensive metrics.

Interesting you bring up Deveraux. That is exactly the guy I think of when I think of Felix Pie. As much as I liked him, he ended his career with a .254 average and a .709 OPS. If we are looking at another Mike Deveraux in Felix Pie, then I would think his value is higher right now than it will ever be.

That's kind of a strange way of looking at the comparison. Through age 25 Mike Devereaux was 17-for-97 in the big leagues. Then he had a couple years where he was decent, then he peaked at 29 with a 64 extra base hit/107 RBI/117 OPS+ season where he finished 7th in the MVP voting.

Pie is where Devereaux was in '89 or '90 before he actually had a really good year.

Looking back on this I should have put a "?" at the end of the titile of the thread.

What surprises me is the undercurrent of skepticism towards Adam Jones. There seems to be more faith in Pie than Jones coming from some people and that frankly boggles my mind.

who is more valuable Jones or Pie?

Looking back on this I should have put a "?" at the end of the titile of the thread.

What surprises me is the undercurrent of skepticism towards Adam Jones. There seems to be more faith in Pie than Jones coming from some people and that frankly boggles my mind.

who is more valuable Jones or Pie?

Jones and it's not close. People refer to Pie as a 5 tool player. Well he doesn't hit for much power, has a weak arm, and doesn't steal even though he's fast. Doesn't sound like 5 tool to me. I'm not totally down on him, I just think some massively overrate him.

Jones and it's not close. People refer to Pie as a 5 tool player. Well he doesn't hit for much power, has a weak arm, and doesn't steal even though he's fast. Doesn't sound like 5 tool to me. I'm not totally down on him, I just think some massively overrate him.

huh? Pie has a plus arm that is both strong and accurate (which is more than Jones can say for now). He SLG'd .470 in the minors to Jones' .476. He SLG'd .437 last year to Jones' .457. His power may be a tick below Jones' (or may be more than a tick below) but there's no solid evidence about this.

But where do you possibly get he has a weak arm?

Yeah I just lost alot of respect for Roch's talent evaluation after reading that.

It seems easy to me... Trade Scott. Play Pie in left and Reimold at DH against RHP, Reimold in left against most lefties, Pie for Jones when he needs a day off.

When I read posts like this, it really makes me wonder what some of you are watching.

Archived