Delgado was at Ruth SteakHouse tonight!!

Dundalk Luvs Os

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Delgado is done. I wouldnt give him anything more than a 1 year incentive driven deal with a mutual option. Nothing more.He will be 38, has had hip problems and his body is breaking down. We have better options. He is just at the end of his career.

Other than his hip, what evidence is there that his body is breaking down?

Before the hip last year, he was having a very good year, albeit in a small sample size.

What better options are out there?

I think Delgado is done. I wouldnt give him anything more than a 1 year incentive driven deal with a mutual option. Nothing more.He will be 38, has had hip problems and his body is breaking down. We have better options. He is just at the end of his career.

After seeing a good bit of his Mets tenure up close, I tend to agree.

Delgado's a guy I'm compelled to root for, but the odds are against him and I don't think he's a fit.

As a aside, I love the story about how he spurned the Mets for the Marlins as a free agent because he was insulted by the club's attempt to appeal to him using "ghetto Spanish" or something along those lines. (I think the since fired Tony Bernazard was the culprit).

Always respected his willingness to take a stand against the war in Iraq by refusing to come onfield for the national anthem, as well. Good luck Carlos, whether it be in retirement or with a contender.

Someone has to give him a job. The baseball gods would appreciate it.

He is very close to being a 500 doubles /500 hr guy. (483/473) currently.

Other than his hip, what evidence is there that his body is breaking down?

Before the hip last year, he was having a very good year, albeit in a small sample size.

What better options are out there?

To me that's kind of like, 'other than the fetus growing inside her belly, what evidence is there that she's pregnant?'

Delgado had most of NY screaming for his outright release in 2008 before he shut them up temporarily with a Mora-esque resurgence in the second half that season.

He's a standup guy in the clubhouse by all accounts, but if he can't play that ain't going to matter.

Bill James projects him to be an 855 OPS guy in 411 at bats...with 23 homers and 24 doubles.

Yeah, if he can get to the plate for 411 AB's he may well do that. Unfortunately, I think the burden of proof is on Delgado at this point to prove that's still possible.

After seeing a good bit of his Mets tenure up close, I tend to agree.

Delgado's a guy I'm compelled to root for, but the odds are against him and I don't think he's a fit.

As a aside, I love the story about how he spurned the Mets for the Marlins as a free agent because he was insulted by the club's attempt to appeal to him using "ghetto Spanish" or something along those lines. (I think the since fired Tony Bernazard was the culprit).

Always respected his willingness to take a stand against the war in Iraq by refusing to come onfield for the national anthem, as well. Good luck Carlos, whether it be in retirement or with a contender.

I was always under the impression that he was protesting the US using Puerto Rico as a missile testing site and it was the 7th inning God Bless America that he wouldn't come out for.

To me that's kind of like, 'other than the fetus growing inside her belly, what evidence is there that she's pregnant?'

Delgado had most of NY screaming for his outright release in 2008 before he shut them up temporarily with a Mora-esque resurgence in the second half that season.

He's a standup guy in the clubhouse by all accounts, but if he can't play that ain't going to matter.

Is there a reason to think that his hip won't be healthy after surgery and rehab?

I mean, I know he is 38 and obviously it is a concern but still...The Orioles aren't going to sign him, in all likelihood, if things don't look to be improving.

I was always under the impression that he was protesting the US using Puerto Rico as a missile testing site and it was the 7th inning God Bless America that he wouldn't come out for.

I think Delgado was outspoken about Vieques (sp.?) as well, but he was also vehemently opposed to the Iraq debacle.

"I think it's the stupidest war ever,'' the Blue Jays' power-hitting first baseman told the Toronto Star earlier this month after someone finally noticed that whenever "God Bless America'' was played in major league ballparks, Delgado would disappear until the song was over.

I think you're right about the 7th inning stretch part, though. Appreciate the correction.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5482059/

Is there a reason to think that his hip won't be healthy after surgery and rehab?

I mean, I know he is 38 and obviously it is a concern but still...The Orioles aren't going to sign him, in all likelihood, if things don't look to be improving.

I'm no doctor, but I remember an awful lot of speculation last season that Delgado's career may well be over.

The few quotes I remember from him about the situation were basically of the "I won't know until I try" nature.

I wish him nothing but the best, but agree with Roy that I'd only be interested in a deal heavy on incentives. Doubt that would be enough to bring him here, though I'd certainly cheer for him if he arrived.

I'm no doctor, but I remember an awful lot of speculation last season that Delgado's career may well be over.

The few quotes I remember from him about the situation were basically of the "I won't know until I try" nature.

I wish him nothing but the best, but agree with Roy that I'd only be interested in a deal heavy on incentives. Doubt that would be enough to bring him here, though I'd certainly cheer for him if he arrived.

A lot of talk that he will want to come to AL so he can DH some.

The Orioles won't be signing him unless it is a cheap deal, so if they do sign him, it should be looked at as a positive.

Archived