Warehouse Excuses - Nothing Ever Changes!

Old#5fan

I don't take credit for this but I saw it on Schmuck's Sun blog (a response from a blogger) and thought it hit the nail squarely on the head:

A brief histroy of recent winters at the warehouse:

We cant spend any money yet, we dont know whats going to happen with DC getting a team

WE cant spend any money now because we dont have a regional sports network

MLB grants start up money for MASN and Flanny promises fans that we'll see an "immediate impact" This impact STILL hasnt happened. (Somewhere in the distance, u can hear criquets chirp outside the warehouse)

WE're not going to spend any money! Why should we ? WE can just be the next Tampa

WE're saving our money for Tex! ( The orioles proceed to offer Tex a contract that was 5 million LESS than he turned down from Texas 3 yrs ago)

We're not spending any money now, we're saving it until we're on the verge of competing in 2011!!

When 2011 arrives, get ready for the litany of new excuses that will surely arrive instead of elite free agents.

I have to agree with this and find it very disconcerting that Baltimore fans would be strung along like we are morons.:( History proves it!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't take credit for this but I saw it on Schmuck's Sun blog (a response from a blogger) and thought it hit the nail squarely on the head:

We cant spend any money yet, we dont know whats going to happen with DC getting a team

MLB grants start up money for MASN and Flanny promises fans that we'll see an "immediate impact" This impact STILL hasnt happened. (Somewhere in the distance, u can hear criquets chirp outside the warehouse)

WE're not going to spend any money! Why should we ? WE can just be the next Tampa

WE're saving our money for Tex! ( The orioles proceed to offer Tex a contract that was 5 million LESS than he turned down from Texas 3 yrs ago)

We're not spending any money now, we're saving it until we're on the verge of competing in 2011!!

When 2011 arrives, get ready for the litany of new excuses that will surely arrive instead of elite free agents.

I have to agree with this and find it very disconcerting that Baltimore fans would be strung along like we are morons.:( History proves it!

I agree ...But I dont think you'll get many here to agree.

I have to agree, that its getting quite old...

You're right. AM should have followed Flanagan's "plan", whatever that was. Because that was working so well.

Or even better, can we spend a lot of money for a player (Holliday or Bay) at a position that we already have a logjam. That just sounds brilliant.

Or we can just continue to non-compete due to lack of a cleanup hitter and ace or worse yet hope Atkins and Millwood can miraculously fill those voids! What a great plan that is!:rolleyes::(

Or we can just continue to non-compete due to lack of a cleanup hitter or worse yet hope Atkins can miraculously fill that void! What a plan that is!:rolleyes::(

Even with a cleanup hitter you're not competing anyways. So might as well wait to fill a cleanup hitter in a position of need.

Even with a cleanup hitter you're not competing anyways. So might as well wait to fill a cleanup hitter in a position of need.

You quoted me to quickly as I was editing my comment to include also the need for an ace along with a cleanup hitter to become competitive.

Almost every one of those "excuses" are made by posters discussing the team, not by the team.

The FO says as little as possible and lets you fill in the blanks. Some of us choose to wallow in misery, others choose to be optimistic. I hope I'm somewhere in the middle. I try to be.

Some of the things on the list I think are a valid look at the situation and others are indeed just excuses. Some, like the Tex one, are pure speculation and beating a deceased equine. I don't recall anyone at the warehouse saying that we were saving money for Tex. That would have been tampering, BTW.

I think that MacPhail is making a serious effort to land Holliday. I felt from the beginning that they'd make one major move, and I think this one is it. This isn't the kind of sham they ran for Tx. last year; he wasn't coming here and they knew it.Holliday mite.

I don;'t know if they'll succeed in signing him, bit I think this at least, is an honest attempt.

If you look at the MacPhail era as the Renaissance, and the pre-MacPhail era as the dark ages, you'll be a lot happier. The situation looks a lot like a by-the-book multi-year organizational rebuild that's going well.

If you just look at the last several years as a continuation of a decade of bumbling failure you'll have a somewhat skewed perspective, and end up a lot more angry and pessimistic. Or maybe it's that the already angry and pessimistic folks choose to look at the last several years as just the latest installment of a futile process.

If you look at the MacPhail era as the Renaissance, and the pre-MacPhail era as the dark ages, you'll be a lot happier. The situation looks a lot like a by-the-book multi-year organizational rebuild that's going well.

If you just look at the last several years as a continuation of a decade of bumbling failure you'll have a somewhat skewed perspective, and end up a lot more angry and pessimistic. Or maybe it's that the already angry and pessimistic folks choose to look at the last several years as just the latest installment of a futile process.

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

So very well stated. Three years ago a lot of people here would have been overjoyed at the position we're in, rebuilt farm and a plethora of good young talent on the cusp of actually making a difference at the MLB level. Yet, so many are complaining.

This offseason the talent available just doesn't match up with what we need, and the money doled out to this point league wide makes no sense for us to jump in the foray.

I think a lot of people's angst is due to the fact that we are close, really close to being back to a winning, deep franchise, and people see that and are getting antsy to get there NOW, but just a little more patience. Not the patience Flanny, Thrift and Duquette asked for. This time the plan is ther and it's working. We all knew it would start with baby steps, then walking, then running. We are walking fast right about now.

Archived