RIP? Florida Winter Baseball League

GulfBird

Perhaps this is a bit of old news but I hadn't checked in a while what the status of the Florida Winter Baseball League (FWBL) was. So when I went to the FWBL home page today the main news dating back to 1 Dec 09 was that the League had cancelled the rest of its games for the year and left an email address for those that had bought tickets and were looking for a refund.

There wasn't much on the "why" of the league cancelling its season after only 15 games except that back on 16 Nov the league and its management company, Global Scouting Bureau (GSB) decided to part ways. No reason was given to the break up but GSB noted it was open to a possibility of renegotiating its relations with the FWBL and wished the owners, employees and fans all the best. In a seperate article, the FWBL's president noted growing pains and that the league would "recapitalize" to better meet the financial requirements of the future.

January would have been the 3rd month of the FWBL season with the last regular season game on the 17th and three play off games scheduled from the 22-24 of the month. The League consisted of four teams from mainly the eastern side of the state; the Miami Diamantes, the Lake County Black Bears, the Space Coast Surge and the Seminole County Naturals.

• 8 months later...

I keep looking to see if the Florida Winter Baseball League will rise from the ashes but nothing yet. The league's website has dissappeared and the only thing that I can find that gives mention of a possible return is a small write up in Wikipedia that says the league will attempt a come back in October 2011.

Perhaps this is a bit of old news but I hadn't checked in a while what the status of the Florida Winter Baseball League (FWBL) was. So when I went to the FWBL home page today the main news dating back to 1 Dec 09 was that the League had cancelled the rest of its games for the year and left an email address for those that had bought tickets and were looking for a refund.

There wasn't much on the "why" of the league cancelling its season after only 15 games except that back on 16 Nov the league and its management company, Global Scouting Bureau (GSB) decided to part ways. No reason was given to the break up but GSB noted it was open to a possibility of renegotiating its relations with the FWBL and wished the owners, employees and fans all the best. In a seperate article, the FWBL's president noted growing pains and that the league would "recapitalize" to better meet the financial requirements of the future.

January would have been the 3rd month of the FWBL season with the last regular season game on the 17th and three play off games scheduled from the 22-24 of the month. The League consisted of four teams from mainly the eastern side of the state; the Miami Diamantes, the Lake County Black Bears, the Space Coast Surge and the Seminole County Naturals.

I live in Lake County and hadn't been to a game but was hoping to go....

Archived