Sign Holliday or trade prospects?

JTrea81

To land an established big bat before 2011 what you would rather do?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. To land an established big bat before 2011 what you would rather do?

This poll is closed to new votes

I could just as easily speculate that Dunn would prefer:

1) a 3-year deal with a vesting option (based on games and All-star voting) on a fourth year to DH, over

2) a 1 or two year deal to maybe play LF or 1B.

Good speculation, however, I do think that the Red Sox would pay more to sign Dunn as Ortiz's replacement and the Yankees would as well (though they have a lot of internal replacements for Johnson such as Posada, Jeter, and even A. Rodriguez, so in my speculation, they are less likely to sign him).

That said, I also speculate that the Red Sox and Yankees are "holding the line" on spending to see which (my speculation is all) of Mauer, F. Hernandez, Pujols, Fielder and A. Gonzalez come up in FA in 2012. So, with that in mind, perhaps the Orioles can get Dunn for DH in 2011.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do think, without question, that Holliday is going to be the best bet for us in terms of a big bat FA. I think people are living in fantasy land if they think the Orioles are going to sign someone like Fielder...it just isn't happening unless his performance declines, he has injury issues, etc...

I think that's only if you're just considering long-term options like Trea does. Dunn, Lee, and Pena are guys that are realistic to sign and can produce similarly imo. But for less years, which I don't think is a bad thing since Holliday isn't likely to be a big bat in the second half of his deal.

But, if true, it does help the argument that after Matt Holliday is signed all the good players are gone forever.

HAH! The evidence is really stacking up. What a lopsided argument this is becoming. Soon the rest of the dominos will fall and the Orioles (Holliday-less) will have to look back at their mistakes and another decade of failure :rofl:

No, as I feel he is going to be worth what he is paid. Remember we aren't talking 7/140 here, which is what he would normally get.

So Holliday is only worth it if you get him for bargain basement prices? What would be the most the Orioles could spend on Holliday and it still be a wortwhile deal in your mind?

I think that's only if you're just considering long-term options like Trea does. Dunn, Lee, and Pena are guys that are realistic to sign and can produce similarly imo. But for less years, which I don't think is a bad thing since Holliday isn't likely to be a big bat in the second half of his deal.

Yes, I am talking long term.

But this post is 100% accurate.

Archived