MLB a joke??

obannon35

Every year I drift more and more away from MLB. I mean the longer the game goes on with no salary cap the more it will suffer. Soon there will be entire generations of front runners in Kansas City, Baltimore, etc. The game is really suffering and you can see it in the attendance numbers. These are all things I'm sure you are aware of.

Really the point of the post is how many of you are finding yourselves less invested in baseball over the last decade or so??? Thoughts??

I am much more invested now than I was ten years ago.

Me too. I understand the frustration of the financial imbalance, but it is fun to see the teams like Minnesota, Tampa Bay and Colorado make noise in the playoffs without the big budgets.

And we're talking the grand old game, chess in cleats. It is still baseball.

-Don

This is not the normal crowd. Most of us are here because we love baseball too much to let unfairness get in the way. So you are going to get the above responses from them individually; however, I believe the OP is correct in that casual fans are losing interest.

I'll love MLB and the O's forever despite my frustration at the lack of a level playing field, but I know that I am not normal.

I haven't been able to really watch baseball for three years now, or rather this will be the third season in a row, due to my job.

My interest hasn't gone away, I always watch the Dodgers when they are on National TV or playing a local team and I always, always watch the Orioles when I can (although this altogether means about 15 games a year). Despite this, I follow the entire sport (never miss O's news) and follow the O's games online or at least check the score on my phone.

But thats me, most people in my family couldn't give a hoot and they used to be die hard baseball/Orioles' fans. My friends all love Baseball but nobody outside of that group that I know really follows.

And the younger folks in my family (nieces/nephews/younger cousins) couldn't be further from the sport, and (as you mentioned "front runners") those who follow the game like Jeter and the Yanks.

So for me, I haven't lost interest, but I have seen that others have.

I don't think I follow baseball any less, though to some degree I follow it more. My reason(s) for following it have changed to some extent. More of it now that my brother has been in the league for about 6 years vs just following baseball since I have always liked baseball. Even cheering for the teams that I followed as a kid, Cubs and Blue Jays, have gone to the back burner to some degree.

I couldn't agree more with the OP. I used to be a rabid O's fans going all they way back to 1975. Opening day was like a national holiday to me - even if I didn't go to the game. I followed the off-season intently, scrutinizing every roster decision. In the past few years though I have lost interest in the O's as we fans have suffered too many dashed hopes and broken promises from the front office. Every year it is the same song and dance with the O's shopping for that "big bat" that never comes and token offers to free agents who sign elsewhere. This off-season I haven't paid any attention to any free agent signings and I must say I find it comical to log on here and see 10 pages devoted to Beltre or Holliday rumors. Not that I am making fun - I was one of those guys in 2005 who logged on at least every hour for Vlad updates only to be crushed when he signed with the Angels. I'm just not going to invest my time getting my hopes up when I know the Os won't be competitive. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of the MFY and Red Sox and I'm tired of seeing small market teams not being able to compete.

Now I am excited about the young players we have and look forward to watching them develop. My fear, however, is 6 years down the road we will be watching Wieters play for the MFY while Markakis and Matusz suit up for the Red Sox. At that point I don't know how anyone can still be a fan of the O's.

My fear, however, is 6 years down the road we will be watching Wieters play for the MFY while Markakis and Matusz suit up for the Red Sox. At that point I don't know how anyone can still be a fan of the O's.

Excuse me for a moment while I go change my underoos and then light myself on fire.

Every year I drift more and more away from MLB. I mean the longer the game goes on with no salary cap the more it will suffer. Soon there will be entire generations of front runners in Kansas City, Baltimore, etc. The game is really suffering and you can see it in the attendance numbers. These are all things I'm sure you are aware of.

Really the point of the post is how many of you are finding yourselves less invested in baseball over the last decade or so??? Thoughts??

Hmmm... I don't find myself drifting away at all. I'm also not sure attendance numbers was a good place to point for support. They were down in 2009 (something like 6% or so) but that's expected in a recession, and wasn't that the first year they haven't risen in a long time? I know the revenue stream has been increasing every year.

That said, I don't disagree with the overall sentiment. I think that baseball's problem (as far as popularity goes) has just as much to do with our nation's shrinking attention span as it does with any competitive imbalance. Football caters much more to our attention spans, with it's shorter season and higher frequency of attention grabbing plays. A football game is also an event. Making something an event will draw in more casual fans. It's hard to make a baseball game an event when they play almost every day.

EDIT: I said that I don't feel myself drifting away, and I think I should clarify. I haven't lost interest at all. I still follow the Orioles and baseball in general pretty closely, but if you only looked at the amount of time I spent/spend on baseball you probably wouldn't believe me. I don't watch as many games as I used to and I used to saturate my mind with all the baseball content I could find. You might say I'm drifting away. I just think that's life.

I think I need to clarify a little bit. I'm still a die hard O's fan and probably always will be. But I used to be a MLB fan, watching every playoff game, every World Series game, I loved it all. Now with the payroll imbalances and every big time FA going to one of five teams it's just not the same.

I will agree the on field product I still love, it's still "baseball" as one poster put it,and I agree with that sentiment. I love the game, I no longer love the organization.

As far as the NFL comparison they couldn't be more different. The "attention span" comment is ridiculous. People love the NFL because good teams are good because they are well run, make good decisions, and build teams on a level playing field. You see organizations like the Steelers and Ravens typically competitive while the Bengals and Browns are not so much. Why is this?? Well it's not because one team has the ability to outspend the other, no it's one level playing field and each team has to build within those parameters.

With all that said.....Let's go O's:)

I think I need to clarify a little bit. I'm still a die hard O's fan and probably always will be. But I used to be a MLB fan, watching every playoff game, every World Series game, I loved it all. Now with the payroll imbalances and every big time FA going to one of five teams it's just not the same.

I will agree the on field product I still love, it's still "baseball" as one poster put it,and I agree with that sentiment. I love the game, I no longer love the organization.

As far as the NFL comparison they couldn't be more different. The "attention span" comment is ridiculous. People love the NFL because good teams are good because they are well run, make good decisions, and build teams on a level playing field. You see organizations like the Steelers and Ravens typically competitive while the Bengals and Browns are not so much. Why is this?? Well it's not because one team has the ability to outspend the other, no it's one level playing field and each team has to build within those parameters.

With all that said.....Let's go O's:)

I will say this: The WS really seemed a chirade this season. When the Yanks were celebrating immediately following their victory, all I could think was..."Why?" They bought it. Who celebrates that? I don't jump around celebrating when I receive I amazon package that I PAID for. I don't know what I expected, but it just seemed so blah watching them celebrate.

Even the inclusion of the Phillies was déjà vu and business as usual. At least last year there was some excitement with the Phils breaking the city's championship drought. I was happy (jealous) for some of my philly friends. At least I could say, "it is going to be so sweet when that is us. Long sought, much deserved." This year, the Phils were just the NL's MFY (and this season, they will be even more so). I would bet right now that the season will end with a Yanks/Phils WS. It will be a great series, but be greatly undermined by its origin (owner checkbooks -- under the line "Buy World Series"). The only upside--and by "up," I mean VERY slight incline--is that a great guy like Granderson will get a shot at glory.

The WORST part is that the apparant savior of baseball is also the apparant savior of the Orioles--and he can't do both (unless he saves the O's quicker than his plan): Andy Macphail. When (if) he is commissioner, I fully expect him to make changes to increase comeptitveness and parity in the MLB--whatever those changes end up being.

That said, the regular season is still enthralls me and I CAN'T WAIT for it to start up again. I need to go to Camden and get my fix! As an O's, Redskins, Caps (the one decent team), & Wizards fan, I don't know what winning feels like anyways.

As you can see here, the degree of payroll imbalances is just about the same as it was 30 years ago.

The difference is that the O's have been lousy rather than good. The reasons for this are the O's, not MLB.

When the O's get good again, then FA's will want to come here. Other cities will have crappy teams and complain about MLB, but we won't care.

As you can see here, the degree of the payroll imbalances is just about the same as it was 30 years ago.

The difference is that the O's have been lousy rather than good. The reasons for this are the O's, not MLB.

When the O's get good again, then FA's will want to come here, and other people can complain about us.

Other cities will have crappy teams, and their fans will complain about the inequities of MLB, but we won't care, just like we didn't care about it before, back when we were good.

As you can see here, the degree of the payroll imbalances is just about the same as it was 30 years ago.

When the O's get good again, then FA's will want to come here, and other people can complain about us.

Other cities will have crappy teams, and their fans will complain about the inequities of MLB, but we won't care, just like we didn't care about it before, back when we were good.

Again the problem is not just the O's are not good. The problem is the game has a severe economic imbalance, and 30 years ago free agency was not the animal that it is now. There really is no comparison.

Archived