LaRoche ??

TonySoprano

Pie obviously has all the tools to be an excellent outfielder regardless of where he's standing, but for whatever reason there was something off with him in LF.

Did you think that Reimold looked comfortable over there? The Orioles have had some pretty lousy players in LF. Maybe you're just not used to seeing good players there?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which shows that the decision making of this organization is still very suspect in many ways.

Let the season be played before judging decisions that haven't been made yet. If Pie languishes on the bench I will be sorely disappointed.

I still see one or two more moves. Now do I think we are going to get a banger, no but I could see us getting the likes of Tejada for a year or two and signing Bedard. But more than anything I hope we get a longterm solution at SS.

Not saying that I want it to happen (although I'd like to give Bedard a chance if he's not going to miss too much of the season), but wouldn't it be a little funny if we brought both Tejada and Bedard back this offseason, after unloading them for so much talent (10 players) just a couple of years ago?

Not saying that I want it to happen (although I'd like to give Bedard a chance if he's not going to miss too much of the season), but wouldn't it be a little funny if we brought both Tejada and Bedard back this offseason, after unloading them for so much talent (10 players) just a couple of years ago?

It would be nice/funny, but it would be even funnier if they weren't shells of their former Oriole selves. Although Bedard could rebound.

However, in that same thought, thank God we traded them at the very right time!!!

Did you think that Reimold looked comfortable over there? The Orioles have had some pretty lousy players in LF. Maybe you're just not used to seeing good players there?

I think Reimold looked injured over there, and I've heard many conflicting reports on how good he is when healthy.

I probably need to read the Billy Beane article again about defensive metrics because I saw Pie miss more cutoff men and take more horrible routes than I care to think about.

Signing LaRoche would only make Scott even more expendable than he already is. The question becomes if MacPhail can trade him away in time for Opening Day. If not you have the following situation:

1B: LaRoche

LF: Reimold

DH: Scott

-- Pie

I see one of Scott or Pie being moved if a corner infielder is signed. I just don't see a viable way to keep them all.

Pie obviously has all the tools to be an excellent outfielder regardless of where he's standing, but for whatever reason there was something off with him in LF.

No idea why, but when they moved him to CF, he looked much more comfortable both offensively and defensively.

Who knows.

Pie started 33 games in LF (34 in CF) and most of those 33 came in the first half. He had never before played LF, and he was learning it at the same time he was tanking at the plate and having Crowley take his swing apart.

He got most of his 34 CF starts in the second half, when everything else was working better for him.

I wouldn't place much stock in 33 defensive starts in any case, but under those circumstances, it's an even less meaningful sample. There's no reason to believe that he won't be a very good LFer with a little time and breathing room.

Pie started 33 games in LF (34 in CF) and most of those 33 came in the first half. He had never before played LF, and he was learning it at the same time he was tanking at the plate and having Crowley take his swing apart.

He got most of his 34 CF starts in the second half, when everything else was working better for him.

I wouldn't place much stock in 33 defensive starts in any case, but under those circumstances, it's an even less meaningful sample. There's no reason to believe that he won't be a very good LFer with a little time and breathing room.

I can get down with this explanation.

But he was definitely not comfortable in left field and it was very obvious.

More on LaRoche. He suffers from ADD and has lapses in the field:

No offense to people with ADD, but we need somebody with their head in the game. But unlike Huff who just looked disinterested because he was, LaRoche would have an excuse...

I guess that is still an upgrade from getting a guy with an imaginary friend.:noidea:

Agreed, there was a learning curve involved. I think he is talented enough to be a full time leftfielder (although I think he belongs in CF, too bad we have TWO talented CFs) and will eventually be able to man the position with the best of them.

Signing LaRoche would only make Scott even more expendable than he already is. The question becomes if MacPhail can trade him away in time for Opening Day. If not you have the following situation:

1B: LaRoche

LF: Reimold

DH: Scott

-- Pie

I see one of Scott or Pie being moved if a corner infielder is signed. I just don't see a viable way to keep them all.

Furthermore, having both Scott and LaRoche in the lineup against a good lefty would be less than optimal (to say the least). A LaRoche signing makes sense only as part of a series of moves, or at least as part of a pair.

Even so he put up a 5.3 UZR in LF. Not too shabby.

Archived