Is MacPhail the right GM to take this team to the next level?

JTrea81

Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure. There's a first time for everything.

However, can we add a question to this? If you do not think AM is the right GM, who would you suggest instead? It's not productive to simply state that he's not right without providing an alternative. So, who do you want? Pat Gillick has retired and is getting old. Theo Epstein isn't walking through that door. Guys like Andrew Friedman don't grow on trees. So, what?

Trea, the minute you become objective here is the minute you'll get taken seriously on matters such as these.

If I'm a real casual fan, the one that watches a game here and there, doesn't really keep up on all offseason matters...and I log on here and see this poll and what you wrote the first thing I'd think is "Holy bejeebus! Andy MacPhail is tha debbil!"

Which is of course what you want people to think.

But then again, you don't care.

Thank you for saving me the time of posting this.

Trea, the minute you become objective here is the minute you'll get taken seriously on matters such as these.

If I'm a real casual fan, the one that watches a game here and there, doesn't really keep up on all offseason matters...and I log on here and see this poll and what you wrote the first thing I'd think is "Holy bejeebus! Andy MacPhail is tha debbil!"

Which is of course what you want people to think.

But then again, you don't care.

Stop ignoring the question.

Moose you answered "yes." Why? I want to know what you and others who answer yes see in MacPhail that makes you think he can take this team to the next level and keep us there when presented with those facts above.

I have been happy with MacPhail's overall performance as GM since June 2007. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he has done, or that he couldn't do some things better.

As to whether he's the right guy to get us to the "next level," I will let you know at the end of this season what I think. There are actually several levels we have to get through to get to "playoff team." Like "mediocre," "average," "above average," and "contender." The level we were at when he took over was "absolutely terrible." The team's 2009 record was still at that level, but the organization as a whole has moved up considerably and there is now a lot of talent in the pipeline. Now that needs to become apparent at the major league level, and it needs to start happening this year.

Will MacPhail be the guy who eventually puts us over the top? I'll worry about that if and when he gets us to "above average."

Fact: Under Andy MacPhail, the Orioles have not drafted a ML ready position player and although they paid overslot for draftees in the 2009 draft, took what many scouts consider an inferior talent in the 1st round for signability reasons.

MY GOD!!! In the 2 drafts that AM has presided over WE DON'T HAVE A SINGLE POSITION PLAYER IN THE MAJORS YET!!!!!!!11!!1111one

It's an open discussion. I'd like to see what people think given what has unfolded thus far.

Really, you really would like to see what people think. You are on here more than I am Trea and I know that the most respected folks on this board aren't sure. I mean what exactly is the next level? Playoffs, WS rings what. I think I know that he can get us to the 80-85 win level but I don't know if he can get us over that.

But hey like I said kudos for giving us an opportunity to vote something other than NO

Prove why you think I'm wrong given those facts above then.

I voted I'm not sure.

My point being, your slanted OP and reputation makes this thread lose all credibility and for that reason, I will not elaborate on my opinions of AM.

It's an open discussion. I'd like to see what people think given what has unfolded thus far.

It's not an open discussion when you limit the posts to things you don't like.

Fact: MacPhail turned Erik Bedard into Adam Jones, Josh Bell, Chris Tillman, Kameron Mickolio, and Tony Butler while potentially getting Bedard back this offseason.

Fact: MacPhail took a chance on Felix Pie and now the Orioles have a good problem in the outfield (overcrowded with talent).

Fact: MacPhail drafted Matusz and Arrieta in 2008 and now they are on the fast track to being a part of the pitching staff long-term.

Fact: MacPhail saw the need for an innings-eater this offseason and acquired a serviceable arm in Kevin Millwood to mentor the young staff.

Fact: MacPhail signed a very good closer in Mike Gonzalez that can take the pressure off the young staff, placing everyone in correct roles.

Fact: Saw the need to retain their own and paid for Roberts and Markakis with their extensions last offseason. That last point needs more seasoning - MacPhail realized what he had in those two players and decided that it was best to retain them rather than face the potential holes in the lineup. Sometimes it's better to recognize what the Orioles do have rather than what they don't have.

I think I've named quite a few positives. Anymore?

Archived