Is MacPhail the right GM to take this team to the next level?

JTrea81

Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?

This poll is closed to new votes

with the recent events of the this offseason or (lack there of) and the new information coming to light about the o's international efforts or lack there of, i think the question needs to be raised again.

fact: He's never completed a 1 for 4 or 5 trade like he would have to to get a premium bat. Keep in mind while macphail is a master of trades, it's usually been when he trades an established player for a return of prospects.

fact: He's never spent more than $27 million dollars on a single free agent that he has been able to land.

fact: Macphail is naturally conservative and cautious and does not like taking risks. Especially in the international area where he's said to favor the "needle in the haystack" approach than going after the known talent.

He has said he is more conservative than owner peter angelos.

fact: Macphail has never built a team that had sustained competitiveness.

fact: Under andy macphail, the orioles have not drafted a ml ready position player and although they paid overslot for draftees in the 2009 draft, took what many scouts consider an inferior talent in the 1st round for signability reasons.

so is this really the guy that should be leading this team when all his strengths better apply to tearing one down than building it up?

Is macphail really the right gm to add the pieces and parts to get to the playoffs and keep us there?

1987 & 1991

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess in a way its not fair to just answer flat out no.

The reason I say that is you never know what kind of bargains may fall into his lap..Does he find the next Ortiz or Carlos Pena?

Is there an upper tier FA that signs a very manageable contract, like Vlad and Miggy did?

I guess if those things happen, that changes things..but I think that is probably the only way to consistent contend.

Impressive. I thought you only dealt in absolutes and black and whites. Interesting to see you actually go back and delve into a little bit more and figure out that a flat out "no" is unfair.

I'll also note that El Trea doesn't really count what the "next level" is. It's not like we're banging on the door of the playoffs and coming up a game or two short every year.

No, we're a 69 win team trying to gain some respectability.

I can understand the "yes" answers, based on what he's done here so far.

I can understand the "not sure" answers, because it hasn't happened yet.

The only way I can make sense of the "no" answers is if somebody has decided that AM is somehow pathologically hardwired in a way that will prevent him from spending PA's money.

Impressive. I thought you only dealt in absolutes and black and whites. Interesting to see you actually go back and delve into a little bit more and figure out that a flat out "no" is unfair.

I'll also note that El Trea doesn't really count what the "next level" is. It's not like we're banging on the door of the playoffs and coming up a game or two short every year.

No, we're a 69 win team trying to gain some respectability.

I keep coming up with 83-88 wins this season. A friend just dropped off the Why Not video today and I need a vhs to enjoy the memories.

I keep coming up with 83-88 wins this season. A friend just dropped off the Why Not video today and I need a vhs to enjoy the memories.

I agree on the win total.

I love the Why Not video, one of my favorite possessions...as well as the 1989 team movie poster that I got autographed by Gregg Olson.

Well, someone can point to the Rays and say "THEY DID IT WHY CAN'T WE?!?!?" which I've seen on here before.

The goal is to be a consistent playoff team...I don't think you get there consistently in one fell swoop.

The Braves went from 65 W's to 94. It was amazing.

Equally amazing was that half the folks in ATL didn't seem to even notice until pretty close to the end of the season.

Then, right when it came time to get WS tickets, everybody was suddenly a lifelong Braves fan...

It's an open discussion. I'd like to see what people think given what has unfolded thus far.

I don't believe any GM given the same resources MacPhail has could have infused this much talent into this team in a faster manner than what has transpired thus far.

Now, is it going to lead to winning? We'll see.

I'm not convinced that you need to piss away money on bad contracts to become competitive.

The Braves went from 65 W's to 94. It was amazing.

Equally amazing was that half the folks in ATL didn't seem to even notice until pretty close to the end of the season.

Then, right when it came time to get WS tickets, everybody was suddenly a lifelong Braves fan...

True...I guess I should change my post to say "it's not likely".

The only intelligent answer to this is "I don't know."

What I do know is this:

MacPhail has done more in 2 years than the previous 3/4 GM's did in 8-9 years. Now, whether that's because the formers weren't given free reign or whatever, I don't know. Frankly, I don't care. What I do know is that we have a ton of young, ML ready talent that represents what will likely be one of the better cores in all of baseball.

3 years ago, people were begging and pleading for a plan. They got it, and it's been executed faster and more efficiently than most reasonable people would expect.

To this point, I have zero complaints. Unfortunately, they still have to do some self evaluation to determine what's going to pan out and what isn't.

I will never damn someone for not handing out a contract that will adversely affect the organization.

The only intelligent answer to this is "I don't know."

What I do know is this:

MacPhail has done more in 2 years than the previous 3/4 GM's did in 8-9 years. Now, whether that's because the formers weren't given free reign or whatever, I don't know. Frankly, I don't care. What I do know is that we have a ton of young, ML ready talent that represents what will likely be one of the better cores in all of baseball.

3 years ago, people were begging and pleading for a plan. They got it, and it's been executed faster and more efficiently than most reasonable people would expect.

To this point, I have zero complaints. Unfortunately, they still have to do some self evaluation to determine what's going to pan out and what isn't.

I will never damn someone for not handing out a contract that will adversely affect the organization.

Outstanding post.

I'm glad to be part of your Posse, Hank.

Although I voted Yes, after reading some of the posts, I think the real answer may be a combination of things. I think MacPhail was the absolute PERFECT GM to straighten us out from the pit we were in. We now have a solid foundation of young core players. And in a year, he will leave us to become commissioner. At that time, we need a GM who WILL take the bold steps that Trea and others want. As Frobby's earlier thread described when talking about next winter, a ton of questions should be answered by then. I know MacPhail will still be here, but when he does leave, this team should be in position to make a move in the AL East, and hopefully whoever takes his spot will be a guy who is ready to take what MacPhail has built and finish the job.

I have been happy with MacPhail's overall performance as GM since June 2007. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he has done, or that he couldn't do some things better.

As to whether he's the right guy to get us to the "next level," I will let you know at the end of this season what I think. There are actually several levels we have to get through to get to "playoff team." Like "mediocre," "average," "above average," and "contender." The level we were at when he took over was "absolutely terrible." The team's 2009 record was still at that level, but the organization as a whole has moved up considerably and there is now a lot of talent in the pipeline. Now that needs to become apparent at the major league level, and it needs to start happening this year.

Will MacPhail be the guy who eventually puts us over the top? I'll worry about that if and when he gets us to "above average."

This.

I'll bite my tongue on the rest of my comments. It's my own damn fault for clicking on this thread when my better instincts told me not to.

Archived