Dave Jauss suspended 2 years by Dominican League

Boy Howdy

Jauss' Licey club had a little beanball war with the rival Escogido team during the Round Robin playoffs (which are still going on), and he's been suspended from the league for two full years as a result.

The automatic translation of the article is a little rough, but it reads in part:

"...The decision to suspend Jauss for seasons 2010-1011 and 2011-2012, is supported by Dr. Matos Berrido in the fact that the officer made physical contact three times with chair umpire Justin Vogel, and for ordering, as his own admission, hit a batter of the Chosen, and for having pursued in an aggressive attitude, dress inappropriately, to that end the match referee after which it had been ejected in the fifth inning.

The League, through its president, considered the act as a conduct "unprofessional and inappropriate for a leader."..."

Leonardo Matos Berrido is the league president, and "the Chosen" refers to the Escogido team.

Seven players were suspended for the incidents as well, albeit for much less time. Former-Orioles Willis Otanez and Jose Bautista (the OF/IF, not the pitcher) were among them.

Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.licey.com/licey_temporada/1935.html

One side note regarding Jauss' conduct "unprofessional and inappropriate for a leader".

Jauss was replaced by Jose Offerman, who famously was arrested in 2007 after an Atlantic League game in which he charged the mound with his bat and swung at the opposing pitcher and catcher.

Still waiting to hear if Felix Pie will suit up or not. The Yankees just refused permission for Damaso Marte to pitch. Not sure where the Orioles stand on Pie's participation. After all the suspensions, I'm sure the club would like to have him.

Today is a major holiday in the DR. There is a makeup game scheduled, but Licey's due to get back into action needing a lot of wins in a hurry if they're to make it to the finals.

What does this have to do with the Orioles?

Hello, Dave Jauss? The guy JTrea liked to claim was let go as bench coach because he was a potential threat to Dave Trembley? I was certainly quite interested in this news and hadn't heard about it.

That's what I was thinking. Must have been a HELL of a game! :eek:

From what I know, league batting champion Timo Perez (from Jauss' team) was hit by pitches twice over the weekend, and two of Jauss' pitchers got tossed in the fifth inning for retaliating by nearly beaning (Twins CF) Carlos Gomez.

There was another incident in the 9th inning were Jauss' team captain (Ronnie Belliard) got tossed, and I've seen pictures of the emptied benches after both teams rushed the field. Sorry I only followed that one on Gameday!

Hello, Dave Jauss? The guy JTrea liked to claim was let go as bench coach because he was a potential threat to Dave Trembley? I was certainly quite interested in this news and hadn't heard about it.

Now we'll have to hear how this is the type of fire we need to compete with the Yanks and Sox and we shoulda kept him around.

Here you go, better translation. Just got back from DR - they speak a different language down there:

"Manager Dave Jaus was suspended for two years by President of the leage Dr. Berrido after the incidents in last Wednesday's games between Los tigres de Licey y leones del escogido. The decision to suspend Jaus for the '10-'11 and '11-'12 seasons was handed out by Dr. Berrido because Jaus made physical contact with umpire Justin Vogel while arguing the beaning that he had ordered. After the game, in which he was thrown out in the fifth, he continued to argue with the umpire and became aggressive."

• 2 weeks later...

Jauss' former team, the Licey Tigres, were eliminated from the Dominican playoffs last night, but they did not go quietly.

After falling behind 10-0 in the first three innings, new manager Jose Offerman slugged the first base ump in the fifth and got detained until a few hours after the game. The ump is suing him.

There's one pic and the translation of an article about it here.

http://www.listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=128368

As for the Dominican finals, it's Escogido vs. the Gigantes

Archived