A question for the MacPhail doubters

Frobby

This question is directed to those who do not have a lot of confidence in MacPhail and would like to have seen moves that were more dramatic.

Assume, for sake of argument, that most of our young players have pretty good years and the Orioles win 83-85 games in 2010. That's a 19-21 game improvement over last year. Will you:

1. Think to yourself, "you know, maybe this MacPhail guy really knows what he's doing after all. I will cut him more slack on his decisions this offseason because what he's doing seems to be working." OR

2. Think to yourself, "if only the Orioles had made some more dramatic moves last winter, we might have been contenders this year. To bad MacPhail wasn't bold enough to see that."

I'm curious to see what you say. Obviously we don't know if the O's will actually win 83-85 games next year, but just assume that for purposes of answering.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't call myself a doubter but I will take a shot at your question anyway. It would depend on how they got there.

If the O's manage to win over 80 games with hunks of driftwood at first and third base then yes, I would think that with real, actual, major league talent at the corners they could have competed.

If they get decent results from those areas that everyone knew going into LAST season were trouble spots I will be more pleased with his work.

This is a fabulous question, and I honestly don't know how to answer it.

I think MacPhail knows what he's doing, and I don't think he's done making moves yet. I don't know why, but I have a feeling there's still something big going on with us. Things have been way too quiet this week.

I tend to go with option 1.

EDIT: I don't consider myself a "doubter" per se, though. I answered "I'm not sure" on the "Can AM take us to the next level?" question.

I think if we are around 80-85 wins, we might go out and trade for a piece at the deadline to try and push us to a wildcard....but the likelihood of increasing 20 wins in one season, even though not impossible, is not the most probable outcome. I would love to see it happen, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Its not the idea of getting to 85-88 wins that I am worried about...Its being able to get top that 93+ win mark.

Now, i realize we can't expect that every year..I am fine with that. But we need to field a team that can do that...Tampa didn't do it this past year but that team was certainly capable of it.

I'm really not asking the question to be argumentative. I just want to know how the doubters think they would see things.

I'm not either, really. Just speculating that the writing is clearly on the wall in terms of an answer.

And frankly, there is definitely a modicum of legitimacy in that assertion... especially if you're willing to endure the possible pain involved in the latter stages of a long term free agent deal. That's really the crux of this whole argument.

I'm not either, really. Just speculating that the writing is clearly on the wall in terms of an answer.

And frankly, there is definitely a modicum of legitimacy in that assertion... especially if you're willing to endure the possible pain involved in the latter stages of a long term free agent deal. That's really the crux of this whole argument.

Do I really have to keep biting my tongue? I want to rebut!

Do I really have to keep biting my tongue? I want to rebut!

Hahaha just like a lawyer :rolleyes:.

Hey, it's easy to be competitive if you're willing to mortgage the stadium. A mere $300 million could have probably put the Orioles damn close to contention this year.

But that's just crazy talk.

This question is directed to those who do not have a lot of confidence in MacPhail and would like to have seen moves that were more dramatic.

Assume, for sake of argument, that most of our young players have pretty good years and the Orioles win 83-85 games in 2010. That's a 19-21 game improvement over last year. Will you:

1. Think to yourself, "you know, maybe this MacPhail guy really knows what he's doing after all. I will cut him more slack on his decisions this offseason because what he's doing seems to be working." OR

2. Think to yourself, "if only the Orioles had made some more dramatic moves last winter, we might have been contenders this year. To bad MacPhail wasn't bold enough to see that."

I'm curious to see what you say. Obviously we don't know if the O's will actually win 83-85 games next year, but just assume that for purposes of answering.

This opening sentence gets to me a bit. I think there is an assumption that if I am somewhat disappointed that we didn't make bigger moves that I am doubting AM.

1. I trust that AM has done what he feels is prudent for this teams growth and I am not in a place to know the financial situation enough to properly judge him.

2. I am disappointed when I see talent go to other teams and know that we won't have those guys on our team next year.

They are mutually exclusive phenomena for me.

So to answer your question. I will tweak answer number 2 and say that I will be disappointed knowing that with Tex or Agon at first base or Cabrera or some other big bat at 3rd and Lackey or Sabathia at the top of the rotation it would probably be us in the playoffs.

I can wish we were able to find a way to get those guys and understand that things are such that AM deemed them not possible at this time. i just hope one day it changes.

Guest rochester

Excellent question - am not sure I can answer without letting the bias of the international fiasco.

AM is a good GM. I don't doubt that at all. I just doubt he has free reign like everyone thinks he does. We would be lucky as baseball fans to have him as commissioner of baseball, do you think he is going to make any high risk moves? I don't blame him.

I am definitely a MacPhail supporter, but this is a very interesting question. I think I would have to go with the first option. I do not think the free agency market is overly appealing this winter, and I think it's best that we take the approach we are with the current state of the team.

Once we get to the 83 win level, then we can make a splash.

Archived