LaRussa: McGwire pinch hitting in '10, "not impossible"

Moose Milligan

Yeah, he would.

I wonder, would he then get another 15 years on the ballot, or would these past few years count? I'd think the longer it gets since the Congressional testimony, the better chance he's got, but who knows.

I read this this morning and I loved it.

I think this is more of a showing of confidence in McGwire, more than anything else. Saying he will show up and be working as hard as the players, building relationships, and teaching baseball. Many will always be negative towards McGwire and just another attempt to move past that.

But how awesome would a pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th be?

Pretty sweet.

Well, McGwire's no Minnie Minoso, but cool. That'd be good for baseball.

I was raised to hate La Russa based on the brushback shenanigans with the Orioles in the 1983 ALCS, but I'm actually a fan. Baseball's first (and only, as far as I know) vegetarian manager and his willingness to do stuff like bat the pitcher 8th instead of 9th.

Tony wrote the into to the Paul Richards book that came out, and mentions that Richards gave him some career advice early on that he continues to live by: "Trust your gut, don't cover your butt".

La Russa may make it into Cooperstown before McGwire.

It won't happen. It would be a complete waste of a roster spot.

If his activation day was Aug. 31st (the last day you can join the roster and be playoff eligible), it would only be a waste of a roster spot for 1 day. On September 1st, rosters expand and it wouldn't be hard to carry a player who's only duties would be pinch hitting. I think they could make due with a "wasted" roster spot for one day.

If his activation day was Aug. 31st (the last day you can join the roster and be playoff eligible), it would only be a waste of a roster spot for 1 day. On September 1st, rosters expand and it wouldn't be hard to carry a player who's only duties would be pinch hitting. I think they could make due with a "wasted" roster spot for one day.

Yeah, but if LaRussa is actually considering him on the playoff roster, THAT would be a waste of a spot.

Yeah, but if LaRussa is actually considering him on the playoff roster, THAT would be a waste of a spot.

I don't know.

La Russa's no clown or fool. If he kept McGwire on the playoff roster, it would only be if he had good reason to believe some of that power was still working.

If you're the opposing manager, and McGwire comes up with the tying and/or winning runners on base, are you really going to be breathing a sigh of relief?

I don't know.

La Russa's no clown or fool. If he kept McGwire on the playoff roster, it would only be if he had good reason to believe some of that power was still working.

If you're the opposing manager, and McGwire comes up with the tying and/or winning runners on base, are you really going to be breathing a sigh of relief?

Yeah, and it's not unprecedented to carry a guy who's only duty is switch hitting. Lenny Harris made a nice living as a bat off the bench and his last two years were pretty much spent as a pinch hitter alone. In 2004-2005 he appeared in 162 games and had 177 ABs. (He had 11 starts in 2004 & 1 in 2005).

I'm not saying that'll happen with McGwire. It's definitely an extreme longshot. Not to mention that on a contending team each roster spot is more valuable... although that's not as true once you reach the postseason. Once you get there, managers tend to abuse their top pitchers. Those 5th, 6th, 7th bullpen guys have a very difficult time getting any innings.

Hmm, I don't know why I was thinking only of the expanded rosters, as opposed to when they shrunk back down for the playoffs. It's definitely harder to justify a spot for McGwire on a 25 man roster.

Archived