Let's go for it.

wildcard

Not in the AL East where powerhouse teams only get stronger not weaker. No way, no how. Sorry, if you believe that you are maybe the most optimistic person on the planet.

No doubt. They get stronger every year. Eventually, they're going to challenge the Clingons for inter-stellar superiority. :rolleyes:

Don't forget, some of those innings will replace innings by the likes of Eaton, Simon and .... wait for it ..... Chris Ray/Matt Albers.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not in the AL East where powerhouse teams only get stronger not weaker. No way, no how. Sorry, if you believe that you are maybe the most optimistic person on the planet.

You are really misguided here. We play the Yankees and Red Sox 36-38 times a year, we play everyone else 124-126 times. Our record against the "Big 2" was so bad it would be pretty amazing if we didn't do better in 2010 against them. Do you really think we can't improve on our 2-17 record against the Red Sox? Or 5-13 against the Yankees? I'd be pretty disgusted if we didn't win at least 10-12 games against those two teams) (meaning we're still losing 24-26 games against them) and that's 3-5 extra wins right there before we've played the other 124-126 games on our schedule.

You need to understand that last year was historically bad. We won 7 games total out of 35 -- a .200 winning percentage. The 3 years before than we won 10, 15 and 13. That still stinks but it's way better than 7. We are almost sure to pick up more wins against the Big 2 this year.

You are really misguided here. We play the Yankees and Red Sox 36-38 times a year, we play everyone else 124-126 times. Our record against the "Big 2" was so bad it would be pretty amazing if we didn't do better in 2010 against them. Do you really think we can't improve on our 2-17 record against the Red Sox? Or 5-13 against the Yankees? I'd be pretty disgusted if we didn't win at least 10-12 games against those two teams) (meaning we're still losing 24-26 games against them) and that's 3-5 extra wins right there before we've played the other 124-126 games on our schedule.

You need to understand that last year was historically bad. We won 7 games total out of 35 -- a .200 winning percentage. The 3 years before than we won 10, 15 and 13. That still stinks but it's way better than 7. We are almost sure to pick up more wins against the Big 2 this year.

I just don't see where you get your optimism as our offense on paper is not one iota better than last season's club, and possibly worse.

I think you are massively discounting the possibility of the young players improving.

Or maybe others are vastly counting on this same aspect. Just like many had NM hitting 30 homers last season. It just didn't happen. One reason is he had no protection in the lineup, and the pitching within the division keeps getting tougher and tougher. All of our young players are going to have the same obstacles to overcome as Markakis has faced. I think it is equally possible that our younger players (at least half of them) actually regress this season.

Or maybe others are vastly counting on this same aspect. Just like many had NM hitting 30 homers last season. It just didn't happen. One reason is he had no protection in the lineup, and the pitching within the division keeps getting tougher and tougher. All of our young players are going to have the same obstacles to overcome as Markakis has faced. I think it is equally possible that our younger players (at least half of them) actually regress this season.

Who? Find one credible post, let alone "many," where someone suggests that NM would hit 30 homers.

I just don't see where you get your optimism as our offense on paper is not one iota better than last season's club, and possibly worse.

Improvements of Reimold, Jones, Markakis, Pie and Wieters. Assuming Delgado and Miggy signing, Delgado > Huff and Miggy > Mora. That's how. Is it in line with the Yankees? Of course not. Is it better than last year. I think so.

Who? Find one credible post, let alone "many," where someone suggests that NM would hit 30 homers.

I doubt many predicted it for last season, but up until last year many did think Markakis had 30+ potential. I still think he does, but last year was certainly less-than-impressive.

Of course it's possible some could regress. It's also possible they take huge steps forward. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for Markakis he could hit 30 in a year but I see him more as a .300 20 105 guy. Basically Harold Baines with a higher OBP and slightly more RBI's.

Not one iota better?

Let's start by identifying which players we're losing from last season: Mora, Huff (1/2 year). What exactly are we losing?

Next, the players who (in the aggregate) will almost certainly improve their production over last year. Some may go up, some may go down, of course: Wieters, Jones, Pie, Reimold, Markakis.

Finally, the "who knows?" group of established guys who could go up or down as a whole: Roberts, Izturis, Scott/DH

Considering it's very likely that the growth in production of group #2 above far exceeds any potential decline in production from group #3, and the replacements for group #1 can't really be worse than last year's group of guys, it's almost a certainty that the O's offense will improve at least one iota from last season.

Renewed bet? With a self-imposed year-long ban? If the Orioles offense is not one iota better than last year (we'll mark it by runs, if you like, or by OPS) I'll happily leave for a year. If it is one iota better (i.e., more runs or better OPS) you go away for a year.

Renewed bet? With a self-imposed year-long ban? If the Orioles offense is not one iota better than last year (we'll mark it by runs, if you like, or by OPS) I'll happily leave for a year. If it is one iota better (i.e., more runs or better OPS) you go away for a year.

Add me to the list of folks who consider bets like this divisive and as having no place on this site.

Archived