Anyone Have Any Idea Why AM Won't Add the Desperately Needed Big Bat?

Old#5fan

As I've said, why does a big bat have to be the last piece? A big bat should be a building block, otherwise there's no sense in signing them to a LT deal.

Why wait until you only have 2 years left in your window to sign a player to an 6-8 year deal if you only have those 2 years?

Wouldn't it make more sense to sign that player while you have a 3-4 year window, thus they can help your team win more games and your younger players gain more confidence and you might even compete 1 year sooner than planned?

I'm hoping AM isn't building a team with a window that closes. Good organizations don't rebuild, they modify and tweak. From 1964 to 1984 the window was pretty much open all the time.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well then I'm grateful you're not the GM. There's no indication that Bedard or Sheets will come back 100% recovered. Bedard won't even be ready for the start of the season. As far as Vlad and Delgado are concerned...they're old, wounded shells of their former selves.

So you think Atkins as a cleanup hitter is a viable alternative? Give me Vlad or Delgado any day. I expect a Glenn Davis type year from Atkins. All fluff and no stuff. Almost as bad as signing Marty Cordova. Bedard would be a risk but also could be great insurance when one of our starters inevitably either falters or goes on the DL.

So you think Atkins as a cleanup hitter is a viable alternative? Give me Vlad or Delgado any day. I expect a Glenn Davis type year from Atkins. All fluff and no stuff. Almost as bad as signing Marty Cordova.

Why in the world are you making the straw man argument that Atkins will be the cleanup hitter? Maybe later, if he gets back to his 2006-2007 form, but for now it's probably one of Jones, Reimold, Scott, or maybe Wieters. (I'm assuming Markakis bats #2 or #3.)

-Larrytt

Why in the world are you making the straw man argument that Atkins will be the cleanup hitter? Maybe later, if he gets back to his 2006-2007 form, but for now it's probably one of Jones, Reimold, Scott, or maybe Wieters. (I'm assuming Markakis bats #2 or #3.)

-Larrytt

What straw man argument? Either Atkins was the supposed big bat cleanup hitter obtained by McPhail or he has not provided a cleanup hitter like he said he would. None of our current guys qualify either. Huff was traded and he was our cleanup hitter, ergo its not hard to figure out we have a big VOID in that SPOT!:cussing:

What straw man argument? Either Atkins was the supposed big bat cleanup hitter obtained by McPhail or he has not provided a cleanup hitter like he said he would.

Read what you wrote, and what I responded to, quoting you directly. You wrote, "So you think Atkins as a cleanup hitter is a viable alternative?" No one that I know of has said that Atkins should be the cleanup hitter, or that he's a viable alternative as cleanup hitter. Since you argue against something that no one is arguing for, it's a straw man argument. (You are confusing the argument about whether McPhail should get a big bat with whether Atkins is a viable alternative as a cleanup hitter, which nobody is arguing.)

-Larrytt

I like the offense the way it stands now. If guys break out, we won't need to break the bank on a huge bat next offseason. But, we have the flexibility to get an impact bat next year if need be. I think our offense as it stands now is good and has the potential to be very good.

So you think Atkins as a cleanup hitter is a viable alternative? Give me Vlad or Delgado any day. I expect a Glenn Davis type year from Atkins. All fluff and no stuff. Almost as bad as signing Marty Cordova. Bedard would be a risk but also could be great insurance when one of our starters inevitably either falters or goes on the DL.

How many years were the Orioles indebted to Cordova?

What straw man argument?

You set up the illusion of a scenario that doesn't exist, that is easily refuted, then stated your argument against it. You're basically making an argument, against your own hypothetical, which you present as fact. Which as we all know is lunacy.

Read what you wrote, and what I responded to, quoting you directly. You wrote, "So you think Atkins as a cleanup hitter is a viable alternative?" No one that I know of has said that Atkins should be the cleanup hitter, or that he's a viable alternative as cleanup hitter. Since you argue against something that no one is arguing for, it's a straw man argument. (You are confusing the argument about whether McPhail should get a big bat with whether Atkins is a viable alternative as a cleanup hitter, which nobody is arguing.)

-Larrytt

Ok then we apparently are on the same page in that McPhail indicated he would get a big bat for the middle of the lineup (cleanup hitter) and has simply failed to do so for whatever unknown reason. I figured that since Atkins is the only bat AM has attained he must be it. My bad.:( Either way though it is very disappointing to say the least to be led to believe something that is not coming to fruition.

Archived