Is Atkins the Middle of Order Big Bat AM Promised or Not?

Old#5fan

Is Atkins The Middle Lineup Big Bat McPhail Said He Would Get?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atkins The Middle Lineup Big Bat McPhail Said He Would Get?

• Yes, and McPhail has seemingly made that clear
    • No, and McPhail will still be wheelling and dealing
    • Confused - but would guess no
    • Confused but would guess he possibly may be

AM never said he'd get a "big bat". Probably because he knows O's fans will start many threads wondering how he could have possibly thought Atkins would be the same type hitter as Bonds. I think the confusion comes into play when people use "big bat" and "middle of the order bat" synonymously.

But don't they mean the same thing? Typically a "big bat" is a middle of the order bat.

And Garrett Atkins hardly qualifies as either unless he rebounds to 2007 levels.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speculation, speculation, and more speculation. Let's see how he does this spring and then do this poll. Atkins IS capable of hitting in the #4 position because he is very disciplined hitter and with TC helping him the sky is the limit for him and the team. I predict right now come back player in the AL.

But don't they mean the same thing? Typically a "big bat" is a middle of the order bat.

And Garrett Atkins hardly qualifies as either unless he rebounds to 2007 levels.

But not all middle of the order bats are "big bats". You're an Orioles fan so you should have close experience with our middle of the order guys not being "big bats".

I'll take the option: "I'm not confused. No one ever claimed he was going to be our No. 4"

I do understand your disappointment, though. The FO didn't get a true clean up guy, but if they had done what it would've taken to get one, we might have come to regret it later (Loss of prospects, bad contracts). IMO we need to think outside the box for a year or two. Why not just have a whole bunch of guys that hit 20-25 homers and get on base consistently? Let's talk about the big bat when we are really just one or two players away. I don't think we're there yet. Let's see what our young guys can do, the youth movement has only just arrived..

Sit back and enjoy the ride! =)

But not all middle of the order bats are "big bats". You're an Orioles fan so you should have close experience with our middle of the order guys not being "big bats".

I'm familiar with our losing teams not having a consistent threat at #4 other than Belle or Palmeiro in the middle of the order.

Tejada was more of a #3 than a #4 hitter and Huff was only a true #4 hitter in the 2008 season.

This FA there were two true middle of the order bats IMO, Holiday and Bay. Three sort of MOTOB's: LaRoche, Johnson, and Matsui. And three former MOTOB's" Thome, Delgado and Vlad. Unless you advocated spending ridiculous money on Bay or Holliday, I think letting the market percolate with the rest seems the way to go.

I couldn't find a poll answer that fit what I think. Atkins is not a middle of the order bat. I don't recall what MacPhail promised.

Nothing...He said he was going to look to acquire a big bat.

At the end of the day, what big bats were available this offseason? Holliday for sure...Guys like AGon and Fielder likely...but at what cost?

The cost would have been too much for us.

How anyone can hold this over his head is beyond me.

I am much more upset with the lack of movement in terms of getting a SS.

Not for one moment do I believe Atkins to be the "big bat" that MacPhail "promised," as at no point did he make any promise that dictated such a thing. He said we are looking to acquire a "big bat," we always are in the market to do that, and we currently still are. Atkins was signed as a low risk, potentially high reward signing who could either provide big dividends or suck wind and be released.

If, in the impossible event that MacPhail does believe Atkins to be the "big bat" acquisition, then he should be fired, and then arrested because he's probably on something illegal.

Not for one moment do I believe Atkins to be the "big bat" that MacPhail "promised," as at no point did he make any promise that dictated such a thing. He said we are looking to acquire a "big bat," we always are in the market to do that, and we currently still are. Atkins was signed as a low risk, potentially high reward signing who could either provide big dividends or suck wind and be released.

If, in the impossible event that MacPhail does believe Atkins to be the "big bat" acquisition, then he should be fired, and then arrested because he's probably on something illegal.

Again, semantics. So is Atkins the big bat that MacPhail was looking to acquire or not? If not when is he going to get one as they are rapidly disappearing - all but Delgado?

Hold onto your hat. He's probably not going to get a legitimate middle of the order bat this offseason. Now what?

Last place. (Again). Lack off offense puts too much pressure on the young starting rotation. Its a shame. How long before this team gets a legimate slugger? Hell, I would take Adam Dunn. Let's trade Scott and a pitching prospect to the Nats for him.

I don't uderstand this poll. MacPhail didn't promise anything. He said the O's would be looking for a middle of the order bat.

Atkins fits in the category of someone who could be a middle of the order bat, but only if he rebounds significantly from the last year or two.

I agree Frobby. People talk like everything Andy MacPhail says is the same as you promising your kid that you will take them to the movies. Andy said we would be bat shoppers and we have been. The Orioles signed Atkins and there is a good chance we will add another corner infielder before spring training. I think people are funny because you would need to classify a "big bat". I would say Bay and Holliday were the big bats. I wouldn't even call Glaus, Delgado, LaRoche, or Beltre big bats at this point and two of those players have signed. Now we are hearing reports that the Blue Jays want Delgado as well and he has some history there so they would have to be the wild card at this point. I think the Orioles could sign LaRoche, but I would be shocked if it were for 2 guaranteed years. If Delgado were to walk then I would expect the Mets who are in a win now mode to make a play on LaRoche.

If you look at all of the teams that have helped their clubs thus far, wouldn't you think it would look something like:

1.) New York

2.) Boston

3.) Seattle

4.) Phillies

5.) Baltimore

We are acting like the Orioles have done nothing to help themselves in an offseason full over overrated, injury prone, or deteriating players.

Last place. (Again). Lack off offense puts too much pressure on the young starting rotation. Its a shame. How long before this team gets a legimate slugger? Hell, I would take Adam Dunn. Let's trade Scott and a pitching prospect to the Nats for him.

I think people need to get rid of the idea that no offense puts pressure on young pitchers. I have pitched and although I flirted with a minor league career the only pressure you feel is tied to landing and keeping a job. The Orioles are not going to be contending for a postseason spot this year so there should be very little pressure on any of our young guys other than to stay in the majors. Wins and losses are not directly proportional to performance. A pitcher can pitch poorly and get a win and fantastic and get a loss.

The Orioles need a bat to help them win games which could start to get the fans back into the team, but the thinking that the Orioles could not finish 3 or 4th in the AL East is foolish. Would I be shocked with 3rd? Yes. Would I be shocked with 4th? No. Does finishing 3rd in the East feel any better than finishing 5th? You make the playoffs or you do not. You build for the future or you do not. What is so hard to understand, we are building for next year. By all means hold Andy responsible next year, but the man can only do so much in a weak offseason.

"We do feel like we have young kids at first and third," said MacPhail. "Anyone that required a long-term commitment was something that wasn't ideal for us. Here we had the opportunity, in our view, to take a little bit of a risk on a guy that was one of the game's most productive hitters going into last season. We got the kind of right-handed bat we wanted on pretty much our terms, one plus an option. And it gives us the versatility to sort of gauge the first- and third-base market going out. The more we got into this, the more we learned about the potential cost for other options at first and third, the more attractive Garrett became." LINK

I have posted this before, and I am sure others have posted this also. IMO, the bold text says it all. It seems crystal clear to me. Atkins IS, I repeat..., IS the 'big bat.' Very disappointing.

Again, semantics. So is Atkins the big bat that MacPhail was looking to acquire or not? If not when is he going to get one as they are rapidly disappearing - all but Delgado?

A few questions for you.

1.) Who would you list as the big bats that were available when free agency first started?

2.) Did the position of those players correspond with a team need (Big bat is not a position by itself)?

3.) How would those players offensive production compare to Luke Scott or Reimold?

It seems that this is another poll or quote from you that will somehow "justify" your stance on the fact that the Orioles have not added the big bat Andy MacPhail was looking to acquire. He either didn't acquire his big bat or Atkins was his big batter, neither option is good enough for you.

The guy simply acquired a bat which is what Atlanta did with Glaus. They mentioned a big bat and Glaus was good enough to fit the description for the casual fan. For me a big bat this offseason would have to be someone with more power than Scott when healthy and those names would have been Delgado, Bay, Holliday, and Glaus. I do not think that LaRoche, Branyan, Vlad, Beltre, or Matsui will hit more homeruns than Scott next year and even then I think 25 homeruns is going to be what those four players average.

Holliday and Bay would have really been an expensive way to add a bat (In terms of dollar and position). The Orioles should have probably made a run at Glaus, but considering he signed for so little and could play both first and third I would suspect that the Orioles did inquire about obtaining him as they have with just about every other player that fit the bill as a position of need.

So we have LaRoche, Blalock, Branyan, and Delgado as what is left of the somewhat reliable big bats. Baltimore, Toronto, Seattle and the Mets all need first baseman. I would say the odds of landing one of those three guys is good which will mean that MacPhail added bats, just like he said.

"We do feel like we have young kids at first and third," said MacPhail. "Anyone that required a long-term commitment was something that wasn't ideal for us. Here we had the opportunity, in our view, to take a little bit of a risk on a guy that was one of the game's most productive hitters going into last season. We got the kind of right-handed bat we wanted on pretty much our terms, one plus an option. And it gives us the versatility to sort of gauge the first- and third-base market going out. The more we got into this, the more we learned about the potential cost for other options at first and third, the more attractive Garrett became." LINK

I have posted this before, and I am sure others have posted this also. IMO, the bold text says it all. It seems crystal clear to me. Atkins IS, I repeat..., IS the 'big bat.' Very disappointing.

Atkins has a good of chance of hitting 25 homeruns as just about any player we could have obtained not named Bay, Holliday, or Delgado (Who is still in play). I do not know why, but when I see cost I think Andy was talking about in terms of both blocking and or trading away our prospects. I think Andy likes the chances of one, if not both of Snyder and Bell being ready at some point this year or next so why block them? I think the Orioles will hit well enough to win games, I am not sure why everyone is so hung up on the big bat who could easily already be on our roster (Jones, Wieters, Markakis, Atkins, Reimold, Scott). I think we have only scratched the surface of what Jones, Wieters, and Reimold can do. All of those guys have 25-35 homerun potential.

Archived