Is Atkins the Middle of Order Big Bat AM Promised or Not?

Old#5fan

Is Atkins The Middle Lineup Big Bat McPhail Said He Would Get?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atkins The Middle Lineup Big Bat McPhail Said He Would Get?

• Yes, and McPhail has seemingly made that clear
    • No, and McPhail will still be wheelling and dealing
    • Confused - but would guess no
    • Confused but would guess he possibly may be

Look Mr. Genius. Everyone on the planet knew that Frank, Brooks, and Palmer were future HOFers and you know what I meant by that unless you weren't around at the time. Nobody can say that about anyone on the Orioles now since Cal retired and you know what I am talking about. It has nothing to do about foreseeing the future. We don't even have any sure fire All-stars on this team right now other than possibly Jones, but even that isn't a lock. So stop the incessant bashing of my posts fore merely speaking the truth and being factual!!

After less than 3 seasons everyone knew that Frank, Brooks and Palmer were future Hall of Famers? That's a nice crystal ball everyone had back in your time.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After less than 3 seasons everyone knew that Frank, Brooks and Palmer were future Hall of Famers? That's a nice crystal ball everyone had back in your time.

Frank had already won a NL MVP and was a multiple All-star before he became an Oriole. Brooks had a HOF type glove from the moment he took the field. Palmer was the youngest pitcher to ever throw a shutout in a WS game and you could tell by looking at him on the mound he was special. Aparicio also was putting up a HOF type career before he even came to the Orioles. Again, there is nobody comparable to these players right now on the Orioles. Now had we signed Vlad that would not be the case . He is a sure fire future HOFer.

Look Mr. Genius. Everyone on the planet knew that Frank, Brooks, and Palmer were future HOFers and you know what I meant by that unless you weren't around at the time.

Brooks made his major league debut in 1955, and didn't make the All-star game or win a gold glove until 1960. He didn't even have an OPS over .770 until 1962. Meanwhile, Jim Palmer made his debut in 1965, but didn't make the All-star team until 1970, and didn't win a gold glove until 1976. Apparently a LOT of people didn't realize they were future Hall of Famers for five years! (Only Frank Robinson fit your above statement, making the All-star team as a rookie.) And yet, you are judging players who are mostly in their first couple of years or so, with faulty memory about the past.

So stop the incessant bashing of my posts fore merely speaking the truth and being factual!!

Half the problem is you make statements that aren't factual such as your claim that MacPhail promised to get us a big bat to the one above about "Everyone on the planet knew that Frank, Brooks, and Palmer were future HOFers" when of course it took a number of years before Brooks and Palmer showed they were future HOFers. They were given a chance to develop; why won't you let Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Pie, Tillman, Matusz, Bergesen, and others do the same, and see which ones become ones that someday someone will say "Everyone on the planet knew those guys were future HOFers"? But you'd rather break the bank for about-to-turn 38 Delgado, who hasn't made the All-star team since 2003, and played 24 games last year, rather than save the money for when we can get something more viable in return.

-Larrytt

Frank had already won a NL MVP and was a multiple All-star before he became an Oriole. Brooks had a HOF type glove from the moment he took the field. Palmer was the youngest pitcher to ever throw a shutout in a WS game and you could tell by looking at him on the mound he was special. Aparicio also was putting up a HOF type career before he even came to the Orioles. Again, there is nobody comparable to these players right now on the Orioles. Now had we signed Vlad that would not be the case . He is a sure fire future HOFer.

Who cares if we have a "sure fire future HoFer" on the team. Especially if we don't think he can be productive. Should we try to get Reggie Jackson back since he was a HoFer? Also, it's pretty silly that you can deduce that Wieters, Tillman and Matusz aren't future HoFer's when they haven't even played one season (maybe not even combined). Nick's first 4 seasons look pretty good in comparison to some pretty entrinched Hall of Famers as well.

Brooks made his major league debut in 1955, and didn't make the All-star game or win a gold glove until 1960. He didn't even have an OPS over .800 until 1962. Meanwhile, Jim Palmer made his debut in 1965, but didn't make the All-star team until 1970, and didn't win a gold glove until 1976. Apparently a LOT of people didn't realize they were future Hall of Famers for five years! (Only Frank Robinson fit your above statement, making the All-star team as a rookie.) And yet, you are judging players who are mostly in their first couple of years or so, with faulty memory about the past.

Half the problem is you make statements that aren't factual such as your claim that MacPhail promised to get us a big bat to the one above about "Everyone on the planet knew that Frank, Brooks, and Palmer were future HOFers" when of course it took a number of years before Brooks and Palmer showed they were future HOFers. They were given a chance to develop; why won't you let Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Pie, Tillman, Matusz, Bergesen, and others do the same, and see which ones become ones that someday someone will say "Everyone on the planet knew those guys were future HOFers"? But you'd rather break the bank for about-to-turn 38 Delgado, who hasn't made the All-star team since 2003, and played 24 games last year, rather than save the money for when we can get something more viable in return.

-Larrytt

OldFan argument change in 3......2......1......

Lol, this was priceless. This guy and Trea think a team isn't a team unless it has some big name on it, regardless if the player is effective or not. I mean Vlad is done yet Old Guy wants him. Ridiculous.

Big names = big talent = more wins.

Now I'm not a fan of big name players that were awesome. I want big name players that are awesome now and will continue to be for several years, like Fielder, Gonzalez, Cabrera. We need some of the best talent in major league baseball because that is what it will take to get back to the playoffs and win the WS and be a routine threat to do that.

And that is the ultimate goal.

Big names = big talent = more wins.

Now I'm not a fan of big name players that were awesome. I want big name players that are awesome now and will continue to be for several years, like Fielder, Gonzalez, Cabrera. We need some of the best talent in major league baseball because that is what it will take to get back to the playoffs and win the WS and be a routine threat to do that.

And that is the ultimate goal.

The Mets, Rays and 98 O's say hi. Come on dude who in the hell could we have gotten this year? Obviously nobody unless we greatly overpaid Holliday, and his current contract is already greatly overpaying.

This team is only going to be good when the young guys mature and if that never happens then we are screwed anyway. But when it does happen, note my confidence, then it will be time to get that prized FA in order to put us over the top. Until then, how about a little patience. I for one am jacked for this season and think we are going to be very excited going into the 2011 offseason.

The Mets, Rays and 98 O's say hi. Come on dude who in the hell could we have gotten this year? Obviously nobody unless we greatly overpaid Holliday, and his current contract is already greatly overpaying.

This team is only going to be good when the young guys mature and if that never happens then we are screwed anyway. But when it does happen, note my confidence, then it will be time to get that prized FA in order to put us over the top. Until then, how about a little patience. I for one am jacked for this season and think we are going to be very excited going into the 2011 offseason.

As I've said before, it won't take just one player to put us over the top, because not all our young guys are going to make it. And we are committed to the young talent already so we need to acquire difference making talent to support those guys that will make it when we can so they have every chance of succeeding.

And really how worse off are we if the young guys fail and we've acquired a big name than if they were to fail with no big name? We'll still be in 4th or 5th place, exactly where we are right now. And one big contract or trade isn't going to sink the club. Just look at Seattle post-Bedard trade.

Also when you acquire that talent, you signal to the club that you are going for it and your players should respond in kind. Continuing to wait, just signals that they are playing for at most 3rd place.

As I've said before, it won't take just one player to put us over the top, because not all our young guys are going to make it. And we are committed to the young talent already so we need to acquire difference making talent to support those guys that will make it when we can so they have every chance of succeeding.

And really how worse off are we if the young guys fail and we've acquired a big name than if they were to fail with no big name? We'll still be in 4th or 5th place, exactly where we are right now. And one big contract or trade isn't going to sink the club. Just look at Seattle post-Bedard trade.

Also when you acquire that talent, you signal to the club that you are going for it and your players should respond in kind. Continuing to wait, just signals that they are playing for at most 3rd place.

I am officially giving up on you man. It's like arguing with a wall. Fine, lets sign 3 ridiculous contracts that remove all flexibility from our payroll for when we actually are GOOD. You got me.

I am officially giving up on you man. It's like arguing with a wall. Fine, lets sign 3 ridiculous contracts that remove all flexibility from our payroll for when we actually are GOOD. You got me.

It won't take 3, rather you sign or trade for one premium player to a LT deal to add to your core players. Then you can add a Lee or a Pena type to a short contract and/or can make a deal at the deadline to get you that one extra player to put you in the playoffs. But you've got to have a team that can get to the top, and our internal talent simply isn't enough to do it because there will be players that will disappoint, so you've got to add the talent when you have the opportunity.

The Orioles had a ton of payroll room this offseason while other teams didn't so there was a lack of competition, and teams needed to dump talented players due to salary and there was also FA market that was unusually down because of a down economy.

That's a major opportunity to do something that can help the club for the LT, and MacPhail seems to be concentrating on just filling holes for 2010.

He likely will not have that same situation next offseason, so he shouldn't be blowing this opportunity.

It won't take 3, rather you sign or trade for one premium player to a LT deal to add to your core players. Then you can add a Lee or a Pena type to a short contract and/or can make a deal at the deadline to get you that one extra player to put you in the playoffs. But you've got to have a team that can get to the top, and our internal talent simply isn't enough to do it because there will be players that will disappoint, so you've got to add the talent when you have the opportunity.

The Orioles had a ton of payroll room this offseason while other teams didn't so there was a lack of competition, and teams needed to dump talented players due to salary and there was also FA market that was unusually down because of a down economy.

That's a major opportunity to do something that can help the club for the LT, and MacPhail seems to be concentrating on just filling holes for 2010.

He likely will not have that same situation next offseason, so he shouldn't be blowing this opportunity.

Ahhhh, there it is. Its been too long since I've read about premium talent.

I am curious though, with one month left until Spring Training, where all these teams are that were desperate to dump players due to salary concerns? Maybe Santa brought them a wad of cash for Christmas and they decided they could keep the players after all? Or maybe, just maybe, teams are not just going to dump players?

God I wish we could hear some REAL Orioles news so that people stop making up stories about what should and would happen even though they are based on complete fiction!

And how do you think those teams ended up in a situation where their need to shed payroll is so great that they'd be willing to part with good/great players for pennies on the dollar?

Hmmm ... :scratchchinhmm:

Archived