Is Atkins the Middle of Order Big Bat AM Promised or Not?

Old#5fan

Is Atkins The Middle Lineup Big Bat McPhail Said He Would Get?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atkins The Middle Lineup Big Bat McPhail Said He Would Get?

• Yes, and McPhail has seemingly made that clear
    • No, and McPhail will still be wheelling and dealing
    • Confused - but would guess no
    • Confused but would guess he possibly may be

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This poll is like a scantron question where you think all of the answers are wrong...but you have to pick something. You try and logically eliminate answers, but you end up eliminating all of them. So you just guess and move on.

That is because MacPhail has conducted this offseason like he's some mystic or oracle from the Far East.:eek::rolleyes: In other word he has been about as clear as mud in whether or not Atkins is the big middle of the order bat he sought.

Yeah, if people are hung up on the word "promise" just take it out of the equation. The question is whether or not Atkins is the big bat middle order hitter AM was referencing getting this off season - or not!

I know! It's amazing how some people get hung up on words and their meaning. That was an all star caliber observation on your part!

I don't think a single OHer knows the answer to this question for certain either.

Shhhhh.... I do... but I promised I wouldn't tell. :D

This poll is like a scantron question where you think all of the answers are wrong...but you have to pick something. You try and logically eliminate answers, but you end up eliminating all of them. So you just guess and move on.
This thread prompted a sticky by a moderator telling "pollsters" to stop starting polls with inane questions and unrelated responses. Its not like you could really expect it to make sense here in coherent-land. Maybe somewhere off in its creator's world this isn't a series of randomly associated words and letters.

That is because MacPhail has conducted this offseason like he's some mystic or oracle from the Far East.:eek::rolleyes: In other word he has been about as clear as mud in whether or not Atkins is the big middle of the order bat he sought.

If Macphail thought Atkins was the "big middle of the order bat" that he was looking for (that's not what he actually said, but close enough for now), why wouldn't he say so? MacPhail said very specifically that one of their three priorities was a corner infielder (along with a starting pitcher and closer), and low and behold, he signed Atkins, a corner infielder (along with a starting pitcher and closer). At no time has he said or hinted that Atkins was this "big middle of the order bat," which is not surprising, since Atkins, with his .342 SLG last year, is current not a "big middle of the order bat."

So why do you post this over and Over and OVER? As pointed out here and in other threads, stick to what's accurate, that MacPhail hasn't signed a "big bat" (we're all in agreement on that) and step away slowly from these various unfounded presumptions you make. Or do you have a quote from MacPhail on this that you've been keeping from us?

When/if MacPhail makes the claim that Atkins is a "big bat" - then unless Atkins has actually shown he's back to his 2006-2007 form, I'll join you in the chorus of scorn, but it's unlikely to happen. Do you really believe, with his successful background, that MacPhail is an idiot who knows little about baseball? (Of course he's an idiot, you'll say, because he signed Atkins as his "big middle of the order bat." Sigh.)

I wonder what of the above you'll misquote this time?

-Larrytt

If Macphail thought Atkins was the "big middle of the order bat" that he was looking for (that's not what he actually said, but close enough for now), why wouldn't he say so? MacPhail said very specifically that one of their three priorities was a corner infielder (along with a starting pitcher and closer), and low and behold, he signed Atkins, a corner infielder (along with a starting pitcher and closer). At no time has he said or hinted that Atkins was this "big middle of the order bat," which is not surprising, since Atkins, with his .342 SLG last year, is current not a "big middle of the order bat."

So why do you post this over and Over and OVER? As pointed out here and in other threads, stick to what's accurate, that MacPhail hasn't signed a "big bat" (we're all in agreement on that) and step away slowly from these various unfounded presumptions you make. Or do you have a quote from MacPhail on this that you've been keeping from us?

When/if MacPhail makes the claim that Atkins is a "big bat" - then unless Atkins has actually shown he's back to his 2006-2007 form, I'll join you in the chorus of scorn, but it's unlikely to happen. Do you really believe, with his successful background, that MacPhail is an idiot who knows little about baseball? (Of course he's an idiot, you'll say, because he signed Atkins as his "big middle of the order bat." Sigh.)

-Larrytt

The problem with the whole matter is that AM has really dragged his feet. Anyone who watched the Orioles last year knows that they need a clean up hitter. The fact that he mentioned it only cemented that reality. I really think hes failed thus far in his quest for corner infielders & a clean up hitter. Atkins is a joke as far as Im concerned. It will be really sad to watch him be a .250 hitter with 15 or so homers this season.

I thought some more about this and yes its late in the off season but not over. He could still make moves but the other teams in baseball have been busy setting their rosters for the spring. Making it harder to get a deal done IMO.

-Larrytt

No we are certainly not "all in agreement" on anything of the sort. Unless you think the voting on the poll is not accurate. I just wish there would be some sort of clarification from the Warehouse on this. Instead of getting mad at me about this maybe you should be irritated at the Orioles in not making this clear as they surely have not done. Again, check the poll. It shows how much confusion there is over this subject or topic.:eek:

The problem with the whole matter is that AM has really dragged his feet. Anyone who watched the Orioles last year knows that they need a clean up hitter. The fact that he mentioned it only cemented that reality. I really think hes failed thus far in his quest for corner infielders & a clean up hitter. Atkins is a joke as far as Im concerned. It will be really sad to watch him be a .250 hitter with 15 or so homers this season.

I thought some more about this and yes its late in the off season but not over. He could still make moves but the other teams in baseball have been busy setting their rosters for the spring. Making it harder to get a deal done IMO.

Excellent post superbly backing the main point I have been trying to make albeit apparently not nearly so well as you just did here. Props.:clap3:

Ah... so you weren't seeking people's opinions in the poll... you were trying to make a point. I get it now. :rolleyes:

The point I am making now is my interpretation of the poll. You act like I was doing something sinister and plotting all along using a poll to support some sort of hidden agenda. I can assure you that is not the case. I am not that smart nor deceitful (either one).:laughlol:

The results simply show over 48% here are confused over what MacPhail is doing regarding a big bat slash middle of the order need. Is it Atkins or not? Rather simple question but nobody knows the answer for sure.

I for one just wish that someone in the media who happens to visit this site would read this thread and actually be bold enough to ask Andy MacPhail this burning question. That way this matter could be laid to rest one way or the other.

No we are certainly not "all in agreement" on anything of the sort. Unless you think the voting on the poll is not accurate. I just wish there would be some sort of clarification from the Warehouse on this. Instead of getting mad at me about this maybe you should be irritated at the Orioles in not making this clear as they surely have not done. Again, check the poll. It shows how much confusion there is over this subject or topic.:eek:

Old Fan, I could spend hours pointing out the inconsistencies in your interpretation of the data. It is your confusing choices that led to the confusion. Not everyone is following the made-up "Is Atkins the Middle of Order Big Bat AM Promised or Not?" imaginary saga. Why not try a poll that asks directly if they believe MacPhail thinks Atkins is a big middle of the bat hitter? The results would be much clearer. As I've challenged you over and Over and OVER, give any evidence whatsoever that MacPhail might believe Atkins is the big bat for the middle of the order, but you have none because you made it up. Tell you what, I believe he's about to sign Barry Bonds, and unless you can prove otherwise, I'm going to firmly believe this. That's the logic you are using - you make up something, and insist it might be true unless it can be refuted. It's technically true, which is why I can say with just as much confidence that he might have signed Barry Bonds.

-Larrytt

Excellent post superbly backing the main point I have been trying to make albeit apparently not nearly so well as you just did here. Props.:clap3:

Where in his posting did he agree with your belief that MacPhail might believe Atkins is the big bat he said he would look for? I'm still trying to find anyone besides you who really believes MacPhail might believe that. It goes against common sense, and there's no evidence for it, but some people will always believe what they choose to believe, forget facts and common sense.

-Larrytt

Where in his posting did he agree with your belief that MacPhail might believe Atkins is the big bat he said he would look for? I'm still trying to find anyone besides you who really believes MacPhail might believe that. It goes against common sense, and there's no evidence for it, but some people will always believe what they choose to believe, forget facts and common sense.

-Larrytt

Posted by "Joldey" post #46 on this very thread:

"We do feel like we have young kids at first and third," said MacPhail. "Anyone that required a long-term commitment was something that wasn't ideal for us. Here we had the opportunity, in our view, to take a little bit of a risk on a guy that was one of the game's most productive hitters going into last season. We got the kind of right-handed bat we wanted on pretty much our terms, one plus an option. And it gives us the versatility to sort of gauge the first- and third-base market going out. The more we got into this, the more we learned about the potential cost for other options at first and third, the more attractive Garrett became." LINK

I have posted this before, and I am sure others have posted this also. IMO, the bold text says it all. It seems crystal clear to me. Atkins IS, I repeat..., IS the 'big bat.' Very disappointing.

Here you are. There are also 7 posters who voted that AM has made it clear that Atkins is the bat he was speaking of getting.

Here you are. There are also 7 posters who voted that AM has made it clear that Atkins is the bat he was speaking of getting.

It doesn't get any more clear than 7 out of 124.:rolleyes: With those odds required for a majority, I'm going to go congratulate President Nader.

It doesn't get any more clear than 7 out of 124.:rolleyes: With those odds required for a majority, I'm going to go congratulate President Nader.

Who said it was a majority?:confused: I was merely responding to someone who asked me to show even one person who thought that way!:rolleyes:

Archived