Melewski: Keep Reimold in LF

Frobby

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Reimold but I think some on here overrate him somewhat.

I liked what I saw of Reimold at the plate last year, but I want to see him do it again or improve on last year's numbers before I am convinced he's going to be a consistent big league hitter. In the minors, he was quite streaky. I think he made some adjustments in the 2nd half of 2008 that are helping with his consistency, but I need to see more to be completely convinced that he's going to continue to be well above average as an offensive OFer.

Reimold was arguable our best hitter last year. It was his first season in the MLB, he had an Achilles injury that bother him so much he was force to alter the way he ran (later to have surgery to repair), and it was his first season playing LF.

Reimold's bat needs to be in the lineup as much as anybody on this team.

You overrate Pie to the point where it is delusional.

Reimold was arguable our best hitter last year. It was his first season in the MLB, he had an Achilles injury that bother him so much he was force to alter the way he ran (later to have surgery to repair), and it was his first season playing LF.

Reimold's bat needs to be in the lineup as much as anybody on this team.

You overrate Pie to the point where it is delusional.

The fact that YOU believe all of this, makes me feel so much better about my opinion. Thank you for that. :clap3:

Same can be said of Pie and the small sample size during the time he was mainly facing RH pitching. I am not saying that there weren't improvements, but, his scouting report from Tony is that he is a fourth OF. I believe that he is a CF and should be playing CF.

As for Reimold's defense - not getting good jumps could very well be due to his foot and achilles issues; both severely impact those first explosive moves. Thus, instead of not having "good instincts", perhaps it was not being able to physically make those jumps. As Melewski stated, Reimold when he was completely healthy in 2005, was considered a very good OF who was moved to CF due his speed and he performed well there, too. I think that he should be given the shot to see how he performs in the OF.

The fact that YOU believe all of this, makes me feel so much better about my opinion. Thank you for that. :clap3:

Last season's wOBA leaders

Reimold .365

Roberts .356

Scott .355

Markakis .349

Jones .343

Wieters .330

Pie .326

Next season's wOBA projections by Bill James

Reimold .388

Wieters .378

Markakis .372

Scott .357

Roberts .350

Jones .346

Pie .333

So Bill James thinks Reimold will be our best hitter next season.

To quote you, "Your opinion is wrong".

Let me put it this way:

I think its likely that Reimold is overall the better LF than Pie, considering both offense and defense.

However, I also think its possible that we as a team are better off with Pie in LF and Reimold at DH.

Assuming that neither Reimold or Scott play 1B for this exercise, then only two of Pie, Reimold, and Scott can play at the same time between LF and DH. I think its possible, if not likely, that it ends up being that the combination of Pie's bat, Pie's glove, and Reimold's bat is better than the combination of Reimold's bat, Reimold's glove, and Scott's bat. That depends on a lot of unknowns, but I don't think anyone can dismiss the idea that things don't break down that way. I also don't think you can definitively say that this alignment will be the best either, its just as possible that Pie's bat doesn't play or that Reimold's glove comes around and we end up being better off with Reimold in LF and Scott at DH.

We'll just need to see things play out. Since there is so much uncertainty, I think the best course of action is to get as much time as we can for everybody.

I liked what I saw of Reimold at the plate last year, but I want to see him do it again or improve on last year's numbers before I am convinced he's going to be a consistent big league hitter. In the minors, he was quite streaky. I think he made some adjustments in the 2nd half of 2008 that are helping with his consistency, but I need to see more to be completely convinced that he's going to continue to be well above average as an offensive OFer.

Apparently, Reimold fixed the holes in his swing and quieted his bat down some. Of course, he has to continue to hit, but, I think that he did make the necessary adjustments and will continue to do so. Pie has shown mcuh less and has to prove much more in this regard.

Last season's wOBA leaders

Reimold .365

Roberts .356

Scott .355

Markakis .349

Jones .343

Wieters .330

Pie .326

Next season's wOBA projections by Bill James

Reimold .388

Wieters .378

Markakis .372

Scott .357

Roberts .350

Jones .346

Pie .333

So Bill James thinks Reimold will be our best hitter next season.

To quote you, "Your opinion is wrong".

Again, you thinking I am wrong makes me feel so much better.

Defense is also a part of baseball as well.

Again, you thinking I am wrong makes me feel so much better.

Defense is also a part of baseball as well.

And I can careless about how my opinions make you feel.

Let me put it this way:

I think its likely that Reimold is overall the better LF than Pie, considering both offense and defense.

However, I also think its possible that we as a team are better off with Pie in LF and Reimold at DH.

Assuming that neither Reimold or Scott play 1B for this exercise, then only two of Pie, Reimold, and Scott can play at the same time between LF and DH. I think its possible, if not likely, that it ends up being that the combination of Pie's bat, Pie's glove, and Reimold's bat is better than the combination of Reimold's bat, Reimold's glove, and Scott's bat. That depends on a lot of unknowns, but I don't think anyone can dismiss the idea that things don't break down that way. I also don't think you can definitively say that this alignment will be the best either, its just as possible that Pie's bat doesn't play or that Reimold's glove comes around and we end up being better off with Reimold in LF and Scott at DH.

We'll just need to see things play out. Since there is so much uncertainty, I think the best course of action is to get as much time as we can for everybody.

Pie's Bat < or > Scott's bat

Pie's Glove < or > Reimold's Glove

Reimold's bat < or = Reimold's bat (Theory that DH hurts a hitters production)

This is pretty much what it comes down to since Scott and Reimold are not going to get a serious attempt at 1B.

I am in the camp that

Scott's Bat + Reimold's Glove + Reimold's bat (as a LF) > Pie's Bat + Pie's Glove + Reimold's bat (as a DH).

And I actually think it could be a significant difference if Reimold's Glove is as good as I believe it will be.

Apparently, Reimold fixed the holes in his swing and quieted his bat down some. Of course, he has to continue to hit, but, I think that he did make the necessary adjustments and will continue to do so. Pie has shown mcuh less and has to prove much more in this regard.

I think they both have plenty to prove. And I expect both to get ample opportunity to prove it in 2010.

And I can careless about how my opinions make you feel.

Pie's Bat < or > Scott's bat

Pie's Glove < or > Reimold's Glove

Reimold's bat < or = Reimold's bat (Theory that DH hurts a hitters production)

This is pretty much what it comes down to since Scott and Reimold are not going to get a serious attempt at 1B.

I am in the camp that

Scott's Bat + Reimold's Glove + Reimold's bat (as a LF) > Pie's Bat + Pie's Glove + Reimold's bat (as a DH).

And I actually think it could be a significant difference if Reimold's Glove is as good as I believe it will be.

I'm not sure I follow all of these equations. However, I'd like to see a formula where the O's have an .800+ OPS at both LF and DH, while playing pretty good LF defense. I think that is doable.

I am in the camp that

Its certainly a possible outcome.

The big wildcards to me are Pie's offense and Reimold's defense. There is a wide range of possibilities for both.

I think Pie has proven a lot more offensively than Reimold has defensively, but that doesn't really mean a lot.

Its gonna be tough to yank Reimold from LF if his glove is playing adequately, but it will be just as tough to put Pie on the bench if his bat is performing adequately. Its a nice problem to have. Its gonna come down to if one of them does particularly well or one of them does particularly bad, IMO. If they both do well, then we're in a real tasty pickle.

I like Pie and am very interested in seeing what he can become. The anti-Pie sentiment on this board during the first half of last year was way over-the-top, and I think forced some of the "overvaluation" of Pie by his defenders.

All that said, Reimold is a good athlete that can hit a legit 30+ HR next year and eventually put up 35+ HR seasons. I don't think he'll ever be above-average, defensively, as his questionable routes have little to do with his injury last year. His footspeed helps make up for some of it, but I think he tops out at an average defender, which is great with that bat.

I want Pie to get regular at bats and to develop, but I wouldn't move Reimold to DH at this point in his career just to give Pie time in the field. My real concern is that we find out that Jones is not going to approach his 1st half production again, at least not regularly. That would be a shame.

Archived