Melewski: Keep Reimold in LF

Frobby

It's unfortunate that this always turns into a Pie vs Reimold in LF debate. Both should be getting regular AB's. I think most people agree that Pie is the better defender in LF. I think Reimold should DH and spell the other OF"s when they get a day off or they DH. I suppose you could move Pie around the outfield quite a bit also. I'm strongly against using them in a platoon as I believe both, in particular Reimold, are everday players. There are three spots in the OF. Obviously Markakis and Jones will be playing EVERYDAY. That leaves LF and the DH. Trying to squeeze both players into LF or acting like there's only one spot is just dumb. There are 4 players and there are 4 spots. No problem there. It's just deciding who goes where. It seems like Pie at DH is more of a waste of talent than Reimold at DH and I love Reimold.

So you want to take the guy that had trouble in left field last year and use him to spell the center and right fielder?

You have seen Pie's splits vs LHP correct? Even if the Pie of the last couple of months last season is the real Pie he isn't an everyday player. Barring an injury, there is no reason Pie should be getting at bats verus LHP.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nolan should be our everyday leftfielder. Let's not forget that he was leading the pack for Rookie of the Year until his frayed achilles wore him down. He showed more than enough to be given the job. Pie needs to have a good spring and make the most of whatever at-bats he gets in April to position himself to step in if/when someone gets hurt. If he plays himself past Nolan then we deal with that situation. Would be a nice problem to have.

So you want to take the guy that had trouble in left field last year and use him to spell the center and right fielder?

You have seen Pie's splits vs LHP correct? Even if the Pie of the last couple of months last season is the real Pie he isn't an everyday player. Barring an injury, there is no reason Pie should be getting at bats verus LHP.

Sure there is...He won't learn to hit it if he never faces it.

Its not like he is flailing away up there and has no freaking clue what he is doing vs lefties...he looked comfortable against them as the year went on last year and seemed to have some success against them at the end of the year.

Now, he shouldn't likely face a lot of them..unless of course he proves he can hit them.

But he should see starts against 20-30% of lefties.

Sure there is...He won't learn to hit it if he never faces it.

Its not like he is flailing away up there and has no freaking clue what he is doing vs lefties...he looked comfortable against them as the year went on last year and seemed to have some success against them at the end of the year.

Now, he shouldn't likely face a lot of them..unless of course he proves he can hit them.

But he should see starts against 20-30% of lefties.

Yea because a guy with a career minor league OPS of 665 against LHP is suddenly going to learn how to hit it at the major league level. Sure, thats reasonable...

I am sure he is going to be a great base stealer in the majors as well, because that 63% minor league success rate doesn't really mean anything either...

Yea because a guy with a career minor league OPS of 665 against LHP is suddenly going to learn how to hit it at the major league level. Sure, thats reasonable...

I am sure he is going to be a great base stealer in the majors as well, because that 63% minor league success rate doesn't really mean anything either...

We do need to take the Crow factor into account. I think Pie already has improved but he is, to go cliche, a diamond in the rough.

So, we can put you down as someone who doesn't believe that young players can ever get better at something they struggle at...Gotcha. Thanks for adding this to the thread...It was vital!

Nolan should be our everyday leftfielder. Let's not forget that he was leading the pack for Rookie of the Year until his frayed achilles wore him down. He showed more than enough to be given the job. Pie needs to have a good spring and make the most of whatever at-bats he gets in April to position himself to step in if/when someone gets hurt. If he plays himself past Nolan then we deal with that situation. Would be a nice problem to have.

Nolan should be in the lineup everyday...but it doesn't have to be in LF everyday.

Another aspect people aren't mentioning is what if the Orioles decide that playing it safe with Reimold and easing him back in to LF as the year progresses is the way to go?

I mean, they have mentioned him going to first but the achilles is hurting that chance right now..Maybe they won't even feel comfortable with him playing LF everyday for a while?

We do need to take the Crow factor into account. I think Pie already has improved but he is, to go cliche, a diamond in the rough.

I'd like to know how Pie did against LHP in August and September. I seem to remember a couple of games where I said to myself, "wow, now he's hitting lefties, too!".

This is all much ado about nothing IMO. Both guys will play, and we'll see how they do. Hopefully they both will do well. If not, the one who does worse will find himself on the bench a little more often.

Nolan should be in the lineup everyday...but it doesn't have to be in LF everyday.

In a very small sample last year, Nolan did not fare well @ DH. First base is an option, I know but, do we really want him learning a new postion during the season? I gotta believe that experiment would have to wait 'til next off-season.

So, we can put you down as someone who doesn't believe that young players can ever get better at something they struggle at...Gotcha. Thanks for adding this to the thread...It was vital!

It is not a common event for players to play significantly better at the major league level then they do in the minors.

The way the O's are configured there is no need for Pie to ever have a start against left handed pitching barring injury.

I do love how instead of attempting to refute my argument you just get snippy.

In a very small sample last year, Nolan did not fare well @ DH. First base is an option, I know but, do we really want him learning a new postion during the season? I gotta believe that experiment would have to wait 'til next off-season.

You could have stopped right there. :D

Look, in a perfect world, we are in agreement. I actually don't love the idea of Reimold DH'ing...I would like to see him at first. I prefer seeing the younger player play in the field and not DH.

But because of the injury, that can't happen right now...So, because of that, you can go slow with Reimold, play him in LF once or a twice a week and DH him the rest of the time.

In the meantime, you get a better idea of what you have with Pie and give your young flyball staff the best defense in the OF possible.

It is not a common event for players to play significantly better at the major league level then they do in the minors.

The way the O's are configured there is no need for Pie to ever have a start against left handed pitching barring injury.

I do love how instead of attempting to refute my argument you just get snippy.

What's their to refute? You have no argument.

You say he didn't do it great in the minors, so why should we expect different?

To act as if players don't improve from their minor league numbers at all is a joke and is just something you are throwing out there to try and prove what little fact you can come up with.

Markakis has had 2 ML seasons where he had a higher OPS than he did in Delmarva!!! Do you think that is rare?

I'd like to know how Pie did against LHP in August and September. I seem to remember a couple of games where I said to myself, "wow, now he's hitting lefties, too!".

This is all much ado about nothing IMO. Both guys will play, and we'll see how they do. Hopefully they both will do well. If not, the one who does worse will find himself on the bench a little more often.

Yea he did...Hit a homer off of Buehrle IIRC, for example.

Most importantly, he didn't look overmatched at all.

You could have stopped right there. :D

Look, in a perfect world, we are in agreement. I actually don't love the idea of Reimold DH'ing...I would like to see him at first. I prefer seeing the younger player play in the field and not DH.

But because of the injury, that can't happen right now...So, because of that, you can go slow with Reimold, play him in LF once or a twice a week and DH him the rest of the time.

In the meantime, you get a better idea of what you have with Pie and give your young flyball staff the best defense in the OF possible.

A well expressed, well thought post. You actually have me re-thinking my position. Who'd have thunk it? I am generally set in my ideas. In the long run though, Pie will get plenty of at-bats. As AM said..THEY LIKE HIM ALOT

Archived