BA Draft Grades 2005-2008

B T

Yeah, Rowell really brings down the Orioles average. I also think that the 2005 draft should be a B or at least a B-. Three from that draft have made the MLs and Reimold looks like he will be an above average OF with very good power. D. Hernandez could be a solid #3, but more likely, a back of the BP pitcher (a valuable piece) and Olson most likely will end up a middle reliever but does have an outside chance of being a back of the rotation starter.

Still have Snyder, who I like better than most. He is a good hitter who has improved his defense considerably, is a baseball rat who has a great work ethic. Erbe is also from that draft - Komminsk and some scouts that BA talked to liked him better than Arrieta. The Figueroa brothers might be able to become role/utility players if they can stay healthy.

Still some hope for the 2006 if Henson and Adams have success at Bowie to go along with Britton. Davis still should be a decent Util player.

Drafting Wieters (and Arrieta) in 2007 and Matusz in 2008 really helped.:)

I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that continuing to draft like we did in 2005 and 2006 would kill us.

But there's clearly a trend here and no reason to ignore it. I agree that 2009 would pose some grading problems.

IIRC, BA's first take on the 2006 draft gave the Orioles a B grade. The 2005 draft also received a B. I still think that they were correct on the original 2005 grade. Due to mainly Rowell and a lesser extent Beato (compare that to getting Lincecum and Chamberlin), the 2006 draft outside of Britton deserves the D. I still have some hope for Henson and Adams. Henson is one of the best athletes in the system and seemed to be much more consistent at the plate when he played the OF. Adams can hit but needs to stay healthy and improve defensely (particularly his throwing). Davis can be a fine Util player. If two to three make it from this draft, it would be salvageable, but, a real big downer still considering who the Orioles didn't take.

Of course, if Rowell breaks out, then the grade goes way up.;)

It's a nice compilation by BA and generally good news for the Os.

It summarizes the overall talent netted with each draft. Simple enough. It would be interesting if they could adjust the results based on earned and lost picks as well as $ spent above slot (or total $ spent) in order to grade how a Scouting Director did relative to the picks/$ spent - though that can get subjective.

The grades are skewed, rightly so IMO, toward the teams' drafts that yielded all-star talent - Wieters and Matusz in the Os case for 07 and 08 - and highlights the importance of nailing early first round picks. It's going to take some time regarding the Os 09 draft as, while we've seen various comments praising Hobgood, early consensus is that we did not "nail" this pick. Still, plenty of "seeds" planted in 2009 by Joe Jordan and one should not discount the possibility that an A will be alongside that draft in three or four years too much.

The 06 draft really sticks out unless Britton continues his climb. Joe Jordan left that draft with the top HS hitter (Rowell) and the #13 overall prospect per BA pre-draft (Beato) and two other top 80 talents in Britton and Adams. What appeared to be well-placed bets has really turned sour - though we don't know what other organizations thought of the same talent.

I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that continuing to draft like we did in 2005 and 2006 would kill us.

But there's clearly a trend here and no reason to ignore it. I agree that 2009 would pose some grading problems.

The 2005 draft yielded Snyder (still a good shot to reach the majors), Olson (reached the majors and netted us Pie), Reimold (reached the majors and was a ROY candidate) and Erbe (still a good shot to reach the majors). Also, David Hernandez in the 16th round (reached the majors). A pretty good draft if you ask me. I gather that draft is graded by BA based on results so far, but I think it could end up as a solid B+.

The 2005 draft yielded Snyder (still a good shot to reach the majors), Olson (reached the majors and netted us Pie), Reimold (reached the majors and was a ROY candidate) and Erbe (still a good shot to reach the majors). Also, David Hernandez in the 16th round (reached the majors). A pretty good draft if you ask me. I gather that draft is graded by BA based on results so far, but I think it could end up as a solid B+.
I agree completely. Erbe, Snyder, and Reimold could easily end up as above-average players, and even Hernandez could end up being fairly valuable.

I'm not particularly down on it. It could go either way. If Snyder ends up a sub-.800 OPS 1B, and Erbe and DH are relievers, then...

I think Reimold may be undervalued a bit so far. He's old-ish for a rookie, and it's been a long trajectory of him ironing out flaws/holes in his game.

No doubt if we get an .840ish OPS 1B, a above average COF, a starter and a reliever out of the draft, it'll be considered a bit better than poor.

I guess I am invisible:D.

Before you posted Frobby, here was my take:

Yeah, Rowell really brings down the Orioles average. I also think that the 2005 draft should be a B or at least a B-. Three from that draft have made the MLs and Reimold looks like he will be an above average OF with very good power. D. Hernandez could be a solid #3, but more likely, a back of the BP pitcher (a valuable piece) and Olson most likely will end up a middle reliever but does have an outside chance of being a back of the rotation starter.

Still have Snyder, who I like better than most. He is a good hitter who has improved his defense considerably, is a baseball rat who has a great work ethic. Erbe is also from that draft - Komminsk and some scouts that BA talked to liked him better than Arrieta. The Figueroa brothers might be able to become role/utility players if they can stay healthy.

Still some hope for the 2006 if Henson and Adams have success at Bowie to go along with Britton. Davis still should be a decent Util player.

Drafting Wieters (and Arrieta) in 2007 and Matusz in 2008 really helped.

I agree that BAL is doing well, but let's acknowledge how much Wieters and Matusz alone have to do with the value of those classes.

So true, and I am invisible again :).

What I said before:

Drafting Wieters (and Arrieta) in 2007 and Matusz in 2008 really helped.

Archived