Kiffin to USC

CrimsonTribe

This seems like a great hire for USC to me.

Tennessee fans need to calm down. Its not Kiffin's fault your AD didn't work anything into the contract where it made it tough for him to leave. And USC is undeniably a better job, not considering if there is potential for some sanctions on the horizon. If he did poorly you would have fired him, he's not being disloyal, he's just being smart.

The only "victim" here are the players.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From part of Wojciechowski's Kiffin-bashing article:

According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, several members of the UT Board of Trustees have contacted Fulmer about the possibility of returning to Tennessee as its athletic director or even as its football coach (but not both positions). Those same sources say Fulmer was receptive to those inquiries, though ESPN.com's Chris Low reports that Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is Tennessee's first choice to succeed Kiffin.

Given the circumstances, the AD job would make the most sense for Fulmer and Tennessee. He would provide instant stability and credibility. But adding to the intrigue and confusion is this: The school is without a permanent president, which means it might take a power play from trustees to force a change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4821890

Apparently Muschamp has turned them down though:

Two sources have told ESPN affiliate InsideTexas.com that Longhorns defensive coordinator Will Muschamp will not accept Tennessee's head coaching position. Instead, he will either hold a press conference or issue a statement later today to say that he is remaining with the Longhorns (with a raise, natch).

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors#1621 (Insider)

USC has been great under Carroll, but you have to go back a long way prior to him to say that program is superior to Tennessee's.

They struggled some in the 80s/90s but were fantastic in the 60s and 70s and 00s. Not many programs have won more national championships. They've had a bunch of Heisman winners. I don't think there would be many who wouldn't consider the USC program to be superior to that of Tenn.

USC has been great under Carroll, but you have to go back a long way prior to him to say that program is superior to Tennessee's.

They're both football royalty, but USC is more desirable for various reasons. Among them is that Tennessee has a harder time being top dog in their own conference. Plus, just the perceived diff between southern California vs. the hills. So, all in all, I think USC is higher up on the royalty chain...

I have no particular enthusiasm for Tennessee, but this guy winds up looking like a snake. I hope Tennessee plays them sometime soon and beats them 72-3...

The craziest thing about all of this is that Kiffin was the guy who got them into this mess in the first place!!!!!!!!!!! He was the recruiting coordinator when Bush was there and when McKnight accepted.

Seems like an odd hire given what's transpiring for them. What's even more odd is his hiring his father & Norm Chow in the face of it.

I'm curious to see what the NCAA does about it. Probably nothing.

The craziest thing about all of this is that Kiffin was the guy who got them into this mess in the first place!!!!!!!!!!! He was the recruiting coordinator when Bush was there and when McKnight accepted.

Maybe it's a "you got us into this mess, you get us out of it" situation.

1. It's entirely plausible that he is a complete idiot.

2. Maybe they have incriminating photos.

Ooh, interesting. Incriminating photos or some other type of evidence against him specifically. I love a good conspiracy. :D

Archived