O's to charge extra for tickets purchased on game day

fansince1988

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a problem with charging 1-5 bucks at the door over the "before game" price. Isn't this how most things work? If you go to a high school play, you're going to pay 15 bucks at the door and 10 the week before...

I dislike them raising the "prime game" tickets, but then again, this is mostly out of state fans coming in, so why not charge them more?

Huh?? You've got to be kidding...HS play???? Do they charge more at the movies for walk ups??? Most things work???...sometimes you may get a discount for buying early, but not a charge for a seat that has a listed dollar value. This is like airlines, charging more closer to the date of the flight, it really is a lousy business practice.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Maryland Stadium Authority?

I have a hunch that this fee will be done away with before the end of the season. Unless of course the O's suddenly get pretty good and attendence spikes as a result.

I also find it interesting that no one is saying boo about the games vs Sox and Yanks going up in price.

Unless the Orioles improve on the field, I think we may see even less Oriole fans attending the "prime games" in the future. 2009 was the first year I could recall where many of the NY and BOS games (during the week) were not sold out. More and more of the 10,000-15,000 Oriole fans that chose to pay more to brave those games are coming to the same conclusion I did several years ago: I'll watch those games at home in HD and save some cash and embarassment.

The Maryland Stadium Authority?

I have a hunch that this fee will be done away with before the end of the season. Unless of course the O's suddenly get pretty good and attendence spikes as a result.

I also find it interesting that no one is saying boo about the games vs Sox and Yanks going up in price.

I think everyone saw that coming sooner or later. The surprise is that they took this long. But socking it to those who like to purchase tickets when the arrive at the park is ridiculous. Unless this year's team ends up being surprisingly good, I think it could ultimately cost them money instead of making it.

I know Orioles prices are still cheaper than many, but after yet another drop in attendance, do you really need to raise prices? Especially this..what sense does this make? To discourage the local fan that decides in the middle of the day they might decide to take in a game? Nice move O's.

They are a stupid organization run by stupid people. Go ahead and defend them apologists.

An extra 2 bucks wouldn't stop me from going to a game...but I understand the complaint of increasing ticket sales for a sad sack of poo franchise.

I agree that it won't stop me from going to a game..I think it's mostly just the idea behind it..they give us years and years of losing, reduced payroll, basically a whole lot of negative, and the loyal fans who still attend games are awarded by a price increase for not getting tickets in advance. It just makes no sense to me..why try to anger in any way the fans who haven't given up on the franchise?

I agree that it won't stop me from going to a game..I think it's mostly just the idea behind it..they give us years and years of losing, reduced payroll, basically a whole lot of negative, and the loyal fans who still attend games are awarded by a price increase for not getting tickets in advance. It just makes no sense to me..why try to anger in any way the fans who haven't given up on the franchise?

It's not just for not getting tickets in advanced either though, you actually have to go TO the box office at least a day before the game in order to pay face value on the ticket.

For years, the Orioles were the only team not to raise ticket prices.

But when they do it, timing is exactly on their side.

Poor economy, coming off yet another losing season and now you raise prices? Not very smart.

However, most of you are clamoring for them to spend money...Well, to spend money, maybe they need to make more money, thus the increase in ticket prices?

But let's be clear about one thing...Any individual ticket price increase, whether it is done by the Orioles or some other team is designed to do one thing...get you to buy season tickets.

However, most of you are clamoring for them to spend money...Well, to spend money, maybe they need to make more money, thus the increase in ticket prices?

I would 100% agree with you except that payroll dropped over $30,000,000 between 2007 and 2009 and is currently headed even lower for OD 2010.

For years, the Orioles were the only team not to raise ticket prices.

But when they do it, timing is exactly on their side.

Poor economy, coming off yet another losing season and now you raise prices? Not very smart.

But let's be clear about one thing...Any individual ticket price increase, whether it is done by the Orioles or some other team is designed to do one thing...get you to buy season tickets.

Is that the excuse they're going to give us next offseason?

Exactly. Frankly, it makes perfect sense that season ticket holders should get some form of discount compared to single-game purchasers. Let's say the announcement had gone something like this:

"The Orioles announced their ticket prices for 2010 today: (list prices). Season ticket holders will receive a $160 discount on the price of their ticket package."

Would anyone have thought that was wrong?

Now, as to whether now is a wise time to be raising ticket prices is another story. I guess the fans will tell them that, if they vote with their feet this summer.

Archived