O's to charge extra for tickets purchased on game day

fansince1988

I would 100% agree with you except that payroll dropped over $30,000,000 between 2007 and 2009 and is currently headed even lower for OD 2010.
Is that the excuse they're going to give us next offseason?

Hey guys, I didn't say that was a good reason but it is a reason.

The Orioles have seen attendance go down, through no one's fault but their own...However, they are running a business and businesses are there to make money...So, they are upping the prices to make more money(and thus perhaps be able to spend money)....and to try and encourage people to get season tickets.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. Frankly, it makes perfect sense that season ticket holders should get some form of discount compared to single-game purchasers. Let's say the announcement had gone something like this:

"The Orioles announced their ticket prices for 2010 today: (list prices). Season ticket holders will receive a $160 discount on the price of their ticket package."

Would anyone have thought that was wrong?

Now, as to whether now is a wise time to be raising ticket prices is another story. I guess the fans will tell them that, if they vote with their feet this summer.

They already are discounted. They were discounted before this increase. All you have to do is order the single game ticket a day before the game. It's not a discount to season ticket holders.

Exactly. Frankly, it makes perfect sense that season ticket holders should get some form of discount compared to single-game purchasers. Let's say the announcement had gone something like this:

"The Orioles announced their ticket prices for 2010 today: (list prices). Season ticket holders will receive a $160 discount on the price of their ticket package."

Would anyone have thought that was wrong?

Now, as to whether now is a wise time to be raising ticket prices is another story. I guess the fans will tell them that, if they vote with their feet this summer.

Yep....Having worked at the warehouse, I can tell you how important it is for them to sell season tickets..I mean, its important for every team but we are talking about the Orioles.

If you are a season ticket holder, the bottom line is you can attend games for less money and you can get "perks".

The Orioles PR is lacking, there is no doubt about that...but one thing they are great at(or at least were when i was there) is customer service. The things they do for fans and tickets are literally unmatched throughout baseball.

You can whine about the team and that's fine...But the Orioles generally bend over backwards for the fans in terms of customer service...Out of town fans used to tell me that all the time...That no team does what the Orioles do.

An extra 2 bucks wouldn't stop me from going to a game...but I understand the complaint of increasing ticket sales for a sad sack of poo franchise.

It really is a principle thing.....extra charge for paying for a ticket at the point of purchase. To me it's like paying for a soda at the vending stand and the vendor saying it will be an extra dollar for the cup. It is wrong, it is treating a fan like crap. If they need the extra cash, just add it to the ticket price, don't diguise it as a service fee for handing a ticket through a window and say the ticket prices went up only x dollars, when it really went up x + 2.

Hey guys, I didn't say that was a good reason but it is a reason.

Oh, I know. I know what you meant. I was just trying to predict the future.

The Orioles have seen attendance go down, through no one's fault but their own...However, they are running a business and businesses are there to make money...So, they are upping the prices to make more money(and thus perhaps be able to spend money)....and to try and encourage people to get season tickets.

Only the Orioles would raise gameday prices to get people to purchase season ticket prices. Most teams, you know, put a better product on the field to encourage people to come see the team.

I understand what you're saying, though.

Oh, I know. I know what you meant. I was just trying to predict the future.

Only the Orioles would raise gameday prices to get people to purchase season ticket prices. Most teams, you know, put a better product on the field to encourage people to come see the team.

I understand what you're saying, though.

Well, hopefully they are doing that but the young talent has to develop...In the meantime, they are doing this to make extra money.

I don't really fault the idea of it..but the timing is wrong.

Well, hopefully they are doing that but the young talent has to develop...In the meantime, they are doing this to make extra money.

Timing may be wrong, but as you said, this is long overdue.

Folks should look at it from another perspective, would you think it was OK if the team raised tickets across the board? Probably still mad, but folks that are saying it is wrong on principle, I don't get it.

At least here they are raising prices without affecting EVERYONE.

I agree. The timing couldn't be worse. I understand that they need to bring in more money to achieve what's needed. It just doesn't look right.

Yep....Having worked at the warehouse, I can tell you how important it is for them to sell season tickets..I mean, its important for every team but we are talking about the Orioles.

If you are a season ticket holder, the bottom line is you can attend games for less money and you can get "perks".

The Orioles PR is lacking, there is no doubt about that...but one thing they are great at(or at least were when i was there) is customer service. The things they do for fans and tickets are literally unmatched throughout baseball.

You can whine about the team and that's fine...But the Orioles generally bend over backwards for the fans in terms of customer service...Out of town fans used to tell me that all the time...That no team does what the Orioles do.

I have no problem with season ticket holders getting perks and discounts, they deserve it. I realize season ticket holders are the life blood of an organization. But, when you put X dollars on the ticket and you are buying it the point of purchase there is no reason to charge more. They should be happy a seat is being filled for the regular price...and treat the fans as guests with great service no matter what.

Timing may be wrong, but as you said, this is long overdue.

Folks should look at it from another perspective, would you think it was OK if the team raised tickets across the board? Probably still mad, but folks that are saying it is wrong on principle, I don't get it.

At least here they are raising prices without affecting EVERYONE.

It just bugs me that they are taking away one of the last remaining means of buying a ticket at face value. It's like the airlines now. You pay for a fare, then get nickel and dimed for basics like taking a piece of luggage with you.

Still, the way things have been lately, you only need to wander outside OPACY to find someone selling tickets at face value (or even less). I guess the business of unloading unused tickets is going to pick up a bit.

I probably walk up about 10 times a year based on weather etc. This is unreal...does anyonedown there understand what is going on. Thanks Orioles

I mean me too. Because of my job and geography I get to go to maybe one game a year, and its always a walk up purchase, unless its some huge game and then I get in advance.

The times they are a changing though, they can't be low forever. This team still offers some amazing deals so anybody can go to the yard and watch baseball.

I know its been a long, long, span of of losing, but we can't be negative about everything (note: not aimed at you Mike B). In all likelihood they've been delaying a ticket increase for years to keep costs lower for the fans, and could no longer hold off on a price jump. At least it isn't across the board.

I mean me too. Because of my job and geography I get to go to maybe one game a year, and its always a walk up purchase, unless its some huge game and then I get in advance.

The times they are a changing though, they can't be low forever. This team still offers some amazing deals so anybody can go to the yard and watch baseball.

I know its been a long, long, span of of losing, but we can't be negative about everything (note: not aimed at you Mike B). In all likelihood they've been delaying a ticket increase for years to keep costs lower for the fans, and could no longer hold off on a price jump. At least it isn't across the board.

I agree with you, especially about the constant negativity but the Orioles seem to find away to creatively raise prices each year. To me walk up fans are the lifeblood in building your fan base. To charge those fans and people like myself who decide at the last minute to take advantage of good weather and a ball game seems wrong.

I agree with you, especially about the constant negativity but the Orioles seem to find away to creatively raise prices each year. To me walk up fans are the lifeblood in building your fan base. To charge those fans and people like myself who decide at the last minute to take advantage of good weather and a ball game seems wrong.

This just isnt true, at least in terms of ticket sales.

Archived