Pirates next in Union's crosshairs?

sakata_catching

According to Murray Chass and Bill Madden, they are.

The big takeaway:

Rob Manfred, the chief management labor executive, declined to confirm the identity of teams that have been discussed with the union but said, “We’ve had more conversations than just about the Marlins. It’s not a Marlins-only issue.”

For what it's worth, this directly contradicts what Dejan Kovacevic and Nick Cafardo have reported elsewhere.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope the union targets the Orioles next.

Ditto.

The Orioles need to be forced to spend. Especially with MASN and the arrangement of owning the Nationals and Orioles broadcasting rights.

PGA shouldn't be allowed to have MASN he isn't going to use it to help the Orioles.

Ditto.

The Orioles need to be forced to spend. Especially with MASN and the arrangement of owning the Nationals and Orioles broadcasting rights.

PGA shouldn't be allowed to have MASN he isn't going to use it to help the Orioles.

We spent $100+ million last year to retain Kakes and Roberts. We can easily make a case for why we have not overspent on second tier free agents. Just because we didn't sign Tex or trade the farm for AGon is not enough to make us a target of these investigations. We have not been CUTTING payroll like the Marlins and Bucs did. Just because we don't spend $100 million a year on payroll means didly squat!

Why not?

Many of the network TV affiliates around the country for Baseball teams are not owned by that particular team, and they pocket all of the revenue for the deal minus the fee that the network pays to the team for broadcast rights. That excess revenue is not used to help the baseball team.

Since MASN is set up as a company separate from the Orioles, that money theoretically does not have to be allocated to the Orioles bottom line. Outside of the money that MASN has to pay the Orioles (and Nationals) for the right to broadcast games. PGA can do anything he wishes with the revenue from MASN, as it is not directly part of the Orioles income.

That said: I'm sure that when the time is right the money from MASN will be used on payroll. The Union will have a VERY flimsy case if they get on the Orioles to spend that money as it is not part of the Orioles gross revenue.

On paper, the revenue for the Orioles ball club is probably more or less proportional to their payroll expenses.

What are we living in a dictatorship?? The Union has no right to tell a team how much they must spend PERIOD!! I guess the number of have been's is to high and that if a player is not as good as he used to be it doesn't matter that he is over priced teams still must sign them and sign them now. The biggest goof is Sheets this guy wants 10-12MM a year for 2 years and has not pitched in a year and has had injury problems his entire career, and I would be forced to sign this guy yea good luck.

And I have a question for all you people who think the ONLY way for us to win is spent tons of money on has bins to try and win how many more games??? We go through this over and over time and time again when is it going to stop. We have a plan and lets stick to it and when it required we can then spent the money and become better, but this senseless *****ing about the O's have to spent more to be a winner has got to stop.

Without being political because it is against the "rules" I would never accept being forced into anything and I would gladly stick my middle finger into the air toward anyone telling me otherwise.

The bottom line is that if other owners are going to be paying money to bottom-rung teams, their money should be put back into the team -- not the owner's pockets.

It's what's best for baseball, and what's best for the fans.

As long as that revenue sharing money is allocated intelligently to the payroll. Spending for the sake of spending is not wise. Since shared revenue is finite, teams should only use it on players that make sense.

I seriously doubt the O's are a target.

2009:

Marlins $36.8 mm (30th)

Pirates $48.7 mm (28th)

Orioles $67.1 mm (23rd)

2008:

Marlins $21.8 mm (30th)

Pirates $48.7 mm (26th)

Orioles $67.2 mm (21st)

2007:

Marlins $30.5 mm (29th)

Pirates $38.5 mm (27th)

Orioles $93.4 mm (10th)

2006:

Marlins $15.0 mm (30th)

Pirates $46.7 mm (27th)

Orioles $72.6 mm (15th)

Four year totals:

Marlins $104.1 mm

Pirates $182.6 mm

Orioles $300.3 mm

There is no comparison. There are plenty of teams below the Orioles every year.

I seriously doubt the O's are a target.

2009:

Marlins $36.8 mm (30th)

Pirates $48.7 mm (28th)

Orioles $67.1 mm (23rd)

2008:

Marlins $21.8 mm (30th)

Pirates $48.7 mm (26th)

Orioles $67.2 mm (21st)

2007:

Marlins $30.5 mm (29th)

Pirates $38.5 mm (27th)

Orioles $93.4 mm (10th)

2006:

Marlins $15.0 mm (30th)

Pirates $46.7 mm (27th)

Orioles $72.6 mm (15th)

Four year totals:

Marlins $104.1 mm

Pirates $182.6 mm

Orioles $300.3 mm

There is no comparison. There are plenty of teams below the Orioles every year.

Frobby!!! What are you doing presenting facts like these???? Don't you know they get in the way of a good "SPEND MONEY NOW!!" rant????

;)

Ditto.

It was reported that just recently did MASN cross over the line of losing money to being profitable. While it may end up being a cash cow someday it's a myth that gets repeated on here way to often that somehow having MASN means that the O's should be able to spend significantly more than they otherwise would have been able to.

Archived