MacPhail:"this week we would put the finishing touches on" the roster."

wildcard

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the linked-to article...

I like the first quoted statement below... just doing what we said, that's all...

"We're just doing what we said we were going to do," said MacPhail, who is looking to add a corner infielder and a left-handed reliever. "There's no magic here. We said we were going to lay low for a while and then we would finish up. I would expect that starting this week we would put the finishing touches on" the roster.
MacPhail said: "We've had multiple discussions. The last phase of free agency is over the course of the next week to 10 days. People want to know where they're going for spring training. It's a meaningful time."

Please mark those dates on your calendar for future years, campers, our GM is teaching class. Week to ten days... puts it at about the last Friday in January...

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail remains more focused on adding another third baseman to the team's corner infield mix, increasing the likelihood that he could sign either Joe Crede or have a reunion with Miguel Tejada.

The Orioles signed Garrett Atkins last month partially because of his ability to play either third or first, but MacPhail reiterated Monday that the organization's plans for Atkins haven't changed.

"We've made no secret over the fact that it's our preference to have Atkins go to first," MacPhail said.

There have been very few reported suitors for Tejada after a season in which he batted .313 with 14 home runs and 86 RBIs in 158 games for the Houston Astros. Team officials have never publicly eliminated Tejada from consideration, but reacquiring him this offseason was viewed as an unlikely move. However, the Orioles' other available options at third have shrunk, and there are several key members of the organization who would very much support Tejada's return.

MacPhail has had talks with both Diego Bentz, Tejada's representative, and Scott Boras, the agent for Crede, who is still believed to be at the top of the Orioles' wish list.

"Crede is an option, but in our view, he's not the only option," MacPhail said. "We've primarily talked to free-agent [third basemen]. We're not completely out of the trade business, and we're still also very much involved in the first base market as well."

MacPhail hasn't spoken to Mark Pieper, the representative for free-agent pitcher Erik Bedard, in "seven to 10 days," but the club still has some interest in its former ace. ... Nothing has changed in the team's negotiations to bring back free-agent pitcher Mark Hendrickson, though MacPhail said that the situation will become clearer over the next 10 days. … The Orioles aren't planning on having a representative at free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets' bullpen session today in Louisiana. ...

Don't wanna make too much out of this, but it sounds like EriK might bump Hendrickson out of the organization, not Tillman to AAA like some were guessing... maybe... if-if-if...

It'd be nice if the Orioles would at least watch Sheets throw.

My guess is that they move Atkins to first, bring in Crede (though I bet an Angelos family member wants Tejada to sell tickets), and sign Bedard to a minor league deal with an invite to ST (split contract).

And the LaRoche comment is disconcerting. If he was only slightly higher, it's not like the O's were going to spend the money on anything else this season. It was for one year.

I bet they would have if Sheets had let them see his medical records. He didn't.

Based on that, it would not be nice for the Orioles to at least watch him throw, it would be a complete waste of time.

Because either he's hiding something, or he wants no parts of BAL, or both.

I bet they would have if Sheets had let them see his medical records. He didn't.

Based on that, it would not be nice for the Orioles to at least watch him throw, it would be a complete waste of time.

Because either he's hiding something, or he wants no parts of BAL, or both.

He hasn't let anybody see his medical records. Yet all these clubs are interested in him still.

I'm sure he will let clubs see them that are interested enough as the two sides move closer to a deal.

It's sending a guy, probably Lee MacPhail to LA a for a day. Are we too cheap to provide a plane ticket?

My guess is that they move Atkins to first, bring in Crede (though I bet an Angelos family member wants Tejada to sell tickets), and sign Bedard to a minor league deal with an invite to ST (split contract).

And the LaRoche comment is disconcerting. If he was only slightly higher, it's not like the O's were going to spend the money on anything else this season. It was for one year.

I doubt Bedard would sign a minor league contract.

From the linked-to article...

I like the first quoted statement below... just doing what we said, that's all...

Please mark those dates on your calendar for future years, campers, our GM is teaching class. Week to ten days... puts it at about the last Friday in January...

Don't wanna make too much out of this, but it sounds like EriK might bump Hendrickson out of the organization, not Tillman to AAA like some were guessing... maybe... if-if-if...

Not sure what you are saying. You think the O's are looking at Bedard as a reliever? Can't imagine that. Please tell me more.

I'm not excited at all about MacPhail's approach to 1B/3B. I just hope Snyder and Bell get their shot by July at latest.

I don't know why you are worry about that. If Bell and/or Snyder are ready for a promotion by July then Wiggy, Crede, Miggy, and/or Atkins could be traded. The reason MacPhail waited this long to sign an infielder is so they would be cheap and easy to flip during the season. Crede is probably $2m and Miggy can't be more then $5m.

I think that will pretty much be his only option unless he wants to wait until June or July to sign with a team.

He can't throw like Sheets can.

I would be surprised if he signs a minor league deal. I am expecting an incentive based contract. Depending on where he is healthwise he could go on the 60 day DL on opening day.

I don't know why you are worry about that. If Bell and/or Snyder are ready for a promotion by July then Wiggy, Crede, Miggy, and/or Atkins could be traded. The reason MacPhail waited this long to sign an infielder is so they would be cheap and easy to flip during the season. Crede is probably $2m and Miggy can't be more then $5m.

Not to mention, agree with him or not, MacPhail has said since the beginning of the offseason that he didn't see a whole lot of difference in any of the guys on the free agent list, so in his mind, waiting to sign the last guy left is no less valuable than signing someone on day one. I'm not so sure I agree with that, but its the way he feels, and I can freely admit that he MIGHT know more about these players than I do. ;)

Archived