MacPhail:"this week we would put the finishing touches on" the roster."

wildcard

Not to mention, agree with him or not, MacPhail has said since the beginning of the offseason that he didn't see a whole lot of difference in any of the guys on the free agent list, so in his mind, waiting to sign the last guy left is no less valuable than signing someone on day one. I'm not so sure I agree with that, but its the way he feels, and I can freely admit that he MIGHT know more about these players than I do. ;)

What? No. Couldn't happen. I know you are a superb judge of talent.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what you are saying. You think the O's are looking at Bedard as a reliever? Can't imagine that. Please tell me more.

Just going by what he said. Here's what I read:

• He's about to finish up the roster over the next 7-10 days.
  • He is now looking for an IF'er and a LH-RP.
  • And speaking of LH-P's, he's still looking at EriK, and he's holding off on Hendrickson.

So, while I may be taking 2 + 2 and getting 5, that sounds to me like it might be that he'll sign Hendrickson or not, depending on how things fall with EriK. I'm not claiming that or promising that, just wondering that. Also, what else is he gonna do with EriK anyway? I'm not sure how this surgery rehab thing goes, but I'm thinking a couple IP here and there is easier than ~6 IP every 5th day. But I don't really know...

Just going by what he said. Here's what I read:
  • He's about to finish up the roster over the next 7-10 days.
  • He is now looking for an IF'er and a LH-RP.
  • And speaking of LH-P's, he's still looking at EriK, and he's holding off on Hendrickson.

So, while I may be taking 2 + 2 and getting 5, that sounds to me like it might be that he'll sign Hendrickson or not, depending on how things fall with EriK. I'm not claiming that or promising that, just wondering that. Also, what else is he gonna do with EriK anyway? I'm not sure how this surgery rehab thing goes, but I'm thinking a couple IP here and there is easier than 6 IP every 5th day. But I don't really know...

Well, MacPhail is not clear, of course, but I am not connecting the Bedard and Hendrickson situations. I think Bedard is someone he wants on an incentive contract with and option for 2011. I think he is looking at him as a starter. Whoever is not pitching well when Bedard is ready gets sent to the pen or to AAA.

The Hendrickson thing is probably because he has an offer or offers out to trade Scott and the trade involves a lefthanded reliever in return as part of the deal. He is probably telling the other GM(s) that they have to decide in the next week to 10 days or he will sign Hendrickson.

Damn I hope we don't sign Crede. I know, stopgap, Bell, blah blah blah...but that doesn't mean it'll suck having to watch him.

And Atkins at first just sucks.

Why?

Crede is a career 10.2 UZR/150. Last season he was a 23.4 UZR/150.

I rather take the injury waiting to happen just so if it happens early enough we will get to see Synder/Bell (whoever is ready first) earlier than if we sign Tejada.

He hasn't let anybody see his medical records. Yet all these clubs are interested in him still.

I'm sure he will let clubs see them that are interested enough as the two sides move closer to a deal.

It's sending a guy, probably Lee MacPhail to LA a for a day. Are we too cheap to provide a plane ticket?

Where is the sense in doing that? I would think a guy who has been out a whole year and is commanding a big payday would be willing to show he is repaired and 100%. The Orioles asked and he(Sheets) said nope.

Where is the sense in doing that? I would think a guy who has been out a whole year and is commanding a big payday would be willing to show he is repaired and 100%. The Orioles asked and he(Sheets) said nope.

Roch mentioned this again in a response to a comment in this morning's blog. He said Sheets has made it crystal clear that he is not interested in Baltimore. This is just another wasted dead end street that Trea is taking everyone on so that he can again blast MacPhail. Its getting old.

MacPhail leaning toward adding third baseman. Miggy and Crede considered.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.orioles19jan19,0,7347196.story

Personally I would rather see Miguel Tejada back in an O's uniform than Crede any day. He may not be the same guy he once was but Tejada was a very good player at one time and is a proven veteran of sorts. Long term it's still Josh Bell, however a one year deal is alright by me.

Also as others have noted trying to get a bead on Sheets' health would just make a great deal of sense. Even if they thought they would only get 20 starts out of him it's a good move. Having a second lefty in the rotation just makes good sense.

Percolate = :2yay-thumb:

With so little news this offseason, it seems the same stuff gets repeated, but what the hell...new day, new thread...

Signing Tejada gives us a third baseman with a solid bat, allows him to fill in at shortstop on occassion, and thus should hopefully allow for us to not have to fill a roster spot with Andino.

Personally I would rather see Miguel Tejada back in an O's uniform than Crede any day. He may not be the same guy he once was but Tejada was a very good player at one time and is a proven veteran of sorts. Long term it's still Josh Bell, however a one year deal is alright by me.

Also as others have noted trying to get a bead on Sheets' health would just make a great deal of sense. Even if they thought they would only get 20 starts out of him it's a good move. Having a second lefty in the rotation just makes good sense.

Percolate = :2yay-thumb:

Uh, you didn't see the other post earlier on this thread where Sheets has already said he wants no part of Baltimore (can't really say that I blame him either).:(

We can always use another right handed bat and Tejada would add more scoring production to the lineup. He could play SS, 3B and DH. Where would he bat? 5th, 6th or 7th?

AM also said not to rule out a trade. Let's make a big move and trade for Josh Johnson of the Marlins. Power pitcher, innings eater and young. P

erfect to go with Millwood, Matusz, Guthrie.....and Bergesen.

Johnson, Tejada and Hendrickson along with Millwood, Gonzalez and Atkins would rate at least a B or B+ on the ratings board.

We have the pieces the Marlins could use to make this deal and should do it. He just got extended and is not making too much the next two years before his salary escalates. He will average just under $10 million per year over the next 4 years which fits their budget.

Archived