MacPhail:"this week we would put the finishing touches on" the roster."

wildcard

First of all, Pie isn't going to DH.

Secondly, you are also assuming DT can pull this off and will pull this off...which is a HUGE assumption.

Here is approximately what I would do:

RF: Markakis 156 games, Reimold 6 games

CF: Jones 140 games, Pie 22 games

LF: Pie 90 games, Reimold 72 games

DH: Scott 100 games, Reimold 33 games, Wieters 20 games

That equates to approximately 669 PA for Markakis, 601 for Jones, 480 for Pie, 476 for Reimold, 429 for Scott, and 86 for Wieters. Like I said, the allocations aren't set in stone, it would depend how well the various players were performing.

Even if Trembley chooses to give less rest to Markakis and Jones (which seems consistent with his tendencies), it still isn't that hard to get 400 PA for each of Pie, Reimold and Scott.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For someone that just made a thread about a poor theory on here, this is surprising.

They already have options that they could cast aside for Bell...Why on earth do they need to bring in another one?

And if you sign Crede, that basically means you are never going to see Wigginton...How is he going to raise his value if he barely plays?

Hell if I know. Note that I said it's the ONLY thing I could think of. Doesn't mean I'm projecting that onto what the Orioles are actually thinking. Big difference.

That equates to approximately 669 PA for Markakis, 601 for Jones, 480 for Pie, 476 for Reimold, 429 for Scott, and 86 for Wieters. Like I said, the allocations aren't set in stone, it would depend how well the various players were performing.

Even if Trembley chooses to give less rest to Markakis and Jones (which seems consistent with his tendencies), it still isn't that hard to get 400 PA for each of Pie, Reimold and Scott.

You're only starting Reimold for 111 games? That's not many AB's for the guy who was the best hitter on the team last year. This is why I agree with SG that signing a 3B is a problem. Just let Scott go to 1B with Atkins at 3B and we can give AB's to our young guys who need them.

Not enough at bats for Reimold IMO.

Very unlikely, barring injury, that Jones misses that many games.

Very unlikely that DT will have this all planned out this way to make it fit like a glove.

It just won't happen...DT won't do it, throughout the ENTIRE season, unless there are injuries.

There's no way that Reimold starts only 111 games if healthy. Even if you sit him against the toughest RHP, he still starts 140 games. And he should.

It's apparent to me that the O's approach to the OF/DH situation basically assumes having someone injured much of the time. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

If Atkins puts up a .725 OPS, that would be an extreme disappointment. That'd certainly be a failure. You could get that from Snyder.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1790&position=3B

Given his age and past, it's not unreasonable to expect some rebound from him. His pitch recognition isn't bad and he has historically made contact consistently. Last year was saddled with a .247 BABIP and a situation where Colorado jerked him around a bit.

It's not a long term solution, and it's fair to say they could have done better if they wanted one via free agency.

If Atkins puts up a .725 OPS I'll be very pleasantly surprised. I've made my peace with this signing by saying that the scouts see something they think Crowley can fix. I have serious doubts about this, but that has to be it.

I think that a league-average bat and a slightly below-average glove are the 75% or 90% projections for Atkins. My mid-range projection is for Bell or Wigginton to be playing third by June.

Why do we even need Crede or Tejada? Just stick Wigginton there until Bell comes up. He's signed for 1 year and won't need to be released if Bell is ready to take over. Plus he could probably out-perform both of these guys offensively.

I don't get this either. From a 10000 ft level as a fan, I interpret this as the scouts liking Atkins a lot better than Wigginton. I don't see it, and in the numbers it looks like Wigginton has a better chance of bouncing back. But we'll see.

I'm just hoping Snyder and Bell hit the cover off the ball from day 1.

Actually, to be fair, that article says that the Mets saw his medical records LAST offseason, not November of '09, as in 2008-2009, before he missed 2009 with the injury.

Actually just makes my point more valid. the fact that when he showed his medical records last year - teams got scared. If he were one-hundred percent healthy why would he not want to scream it from the rooftops.

The Orioles have plenty of in-house options.

You're only starting Reimold for 111 games? That's not many AB's for the guy who was the best hitter on the team last year.
Not enough at bats for Reimold IMO.
There's no way that Reimold starts only 111 games if healthy. Even if you sit him against the toughest RHP, he still starts 140 games. And he should.

You guys are a little more sold on Reimold than I am. However, as I said when I first posted about this, the exact allocations can be adjusted up and down somewhat depending on who is playing better than whom. You could make it 550 PA for Reimold and 406 for Pie if that makes you happier.

What isn't logical, to me, is to say "Trembley won't divide up the playing time this way" in one breath, and then assume he's going to play Scott at 1B in the next breath. I'd say it's far more likely that Trembley will find a way to get 400+ PA for each of Reimold, Pie and Scott as OFs or DH than it is that he is going to solve the problem by moving Scott to 1B. Neither MacPhail nor Trembley have said anything this offseason to make me think that Scott will play any 1B at all. And I wish I were wrong about that, but I'm not.

As others have said, it seems unlikely that Trembley will run the team like this. He's shown a strong tendency to play his regulars almost every game unless they're hurt.

Unless something has changed, or he's been forced to change his ways, I see someone getting 20 ABs a month until there's an injury.

You guys are a little more sold on Reimold than I am. However, as I said when I first posted about this, the exact allocations can be adjusted up and down somewhat depending on who is playing better than whom. You could make it 550 PA for Reimold and 406 for Pie if that makes you happier.

What isn't logical, to me, is to say "Trembley won't divide up the playing time this way" in one breath, and then assume he's going to play Scott at 1B in the next breath. I'd say it's far more likely that Trembley will find a way to get 400+ PA for each of Reimold, Pie and Scott as OFs or DH than it is that he is going to solve the problem by moving Scott to 1B. Neither MacPhail nor Trembley have said anything this offseason to make me think that Scott will play any 1B at all. And I wish I were wrong about that, but I'm not.

I think the Occam's Razor approach is that Trembley will continue to play his regulars almost all the time, and he won't play Scott at first much at all. So we have a situation where someone is sitting on the bench 18 out of 20 games, with the occasional pinch hitting/running duty.

My mid-range projection is for Bell or Wigginton to be playing third by June.

I am just quoting Drungo as an example here, but why do so many folks here on the OH think Bell is going to be ready this season?

I would love to see it but from what I read last year his bat from the RH side is no where near MLB ready. I know his results from the RH side were better in the AFL but it still seems real optimistic to have him in Baltimore anytime soon.

Now if they were going to platoon him at 3rd this season I could see it but I think they picture him as an everyday player so I would think they would keep him in the minors untill his right side comes around or he ditches it and gets some action from the left side against left handed pitching.

I am just quoting Drungo as an example here, but why do so many folks here on the OH think Bell is going to be ready this season?

I would love to see it but from what I read last year his bat from the RH side is no where near MLB ready. I know his results from the RH side were better in the AFL but it still seems real optimistic to have him in Baltimore anytime soon.

Now if they were going to platoon him at 3rd this season I could see it but I think they picture him as an everyday player so I would think they would keep him in the minors untill his right side comes around or he ditches it and gets some action from the left side against left handed pitching.

I'm not sold on him being ready, but a lot of the O's moves this season suggest that they think he will be ready sooner rather than later.

If they sign Crede for 3B, or fail to fill 1B, they will be saying it loud and clear.

Archived