MacPhail:"this week we would put the finishing touches on" the roster."

wildcard

If Atkins puts up a .725 OPS I'll be very pleasantly surprised. I've made my peace with this signing by saying that the scouts see something they think Crowley can fix. I have serious doubts about this, but that has to be it.

I think that a league-average bat and a slightly below-average glove are the 75% or 90% projections for Atkins. My mid-range projection is for Bell or Wigginton to be playing third by June.

You stats guys take all the fun out of life.

Next thing you'll be saying is that if Atkins moves to 1B, he is likely be no better replacement-level. I've got you figured out, Mister Negativity.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You stats guys take all the fun out of life.

Next thing you'll be saying is that if Atkins moves to 1B, he is likely be no better replacement-level. I've got you figured out, Mister Negativity.

Hahahahahahaha reality bites, indeed.

I'm a little more optimistic about Atkins than most, I'll admit.

Why are you not sold on Reimold? He has a great eye, he hits for power and he seems to have some good speed. Is it the defense, or does it have something to do with his bat that I didn't mention?

I think Reimold is going to be a solid player but I do think many on here are overrating him...I don't see him as a perennial AS and the numbers that some are throwing around on here would suggest that.

I think Reimold is going to be a solid player but I do think many on here are overrating him...I don't see him as a perennial AS and the numbers that some are throwing around on here would suggest that.

While I don't disagree, I will point out that some are overrating Pie as well! ;)

I'm not sure if people are overrating him or not. I consider him to be a .825-.850 guy going forward. He could have a few seasons where he is around .900, but that would be a career year, IMO. I'm not sure about his defense. He was adjusting to a new position last year and dealing with injuries. However, I've seen reports suggesting that he'll never be a good defender. Either way, I think he is the kind of player who should be playing every day, or around 140 games.

I am just quoting Drungo as an example here, but why do so many folks here on the OH think Bell is going to be ready this season?

I would love to see it but from what I read last year his bat from the RH side is no where near MLB ready. I know his results from the RH side were better in the AFL but it still seems real optimistic to have him in Baltimore anytime soon.

Now if they were going to platoon him at 3rd this season I could see it but I think they picture him as an everyday player so I would think they would keep him in the minors untill his right side comes around or he ditches it and gets some action from the left side against left handed pitching.

I'm probably more optimistic than most. But besides that, I think that R/L splits aren't nearly as important as his overall ability to hit, and that if he's putting up a .850 OPS in Norfolk (which is not too far removed from an .850 OPS in OPACY) he should come up.

Yes, it would behoove him to dump switch hitting or improve, but leaving him in the minors for a long time to figure out how to hit 1/3 of the pitchers in the majors when he can mash against the other 2/3rds is counterproductive. A Bell/Wigginton platoon from the start of the season would probably be more productive than most of the stopgap soultions being discussed. And by September it's a near certainty it'll be better.

A Bell/Wigginton platoon from the start of the season would probably be more productive than most of the stopgap soultions being discussed. And by September it's a near certainty it'll be better.

This is what I would actually like to see, I just don't see the front office signing off on it. Have Bell up in the bigs and working with Crow to either rebuild his right handed swing or work on seeing left handers from the left hand side.

Edit- His splits do not bother me as much as the reports I read on how bad his swing from the RH side looks.

Why are you not sold on Reimold? He has a great eye, he hits for power and he seems to have some good speed. Is it the defense, or does it have something to do with his bat that I didn't mention?
I'm not sure if people are overrating him or not. I consider him to be a .825-.850 guy going forward. He could have a few seasons where he is around .900, but that would be a career year, IMO.

Put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised if Reimold improved on last season and had an .850-.875 OPS, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he regressed to being a .775-.800 guy (ZiPS has him projected at .785). If it's the latter, then he's going to play less, and if it's the former, he's going to play more.

Reimold was streaky in the minors, and he avoided that streakiness last year for the most part. I want to see him do it again before I'm 100% convinced that he'll be a steady .825+ OPS guy. I certainly hope that's true.

I see Reimold as Luke Scott playing 140 games a year.

That sounds like too many to me. I also don't think he will become an AS type of player. I do think offensively he could reach that level. In the field though that really seem unrealistic.

Put me down for 105-115 games please.

Actually just makes my point more valid. the fact that when he showed his medical records last year - teams got scared. If he were one-hundred percent healthy why would he not want to scream it from the rooftops.

The Orioles have plenty of in-house options.

Uh, he had surgery to repair the torn flexor tendon.

Thus teams shouldn't be scared any longer.

Here is approximately what I would do:

RF: Markakis 156 games, Reimold 6 games

CF: Jones 140 games, Pie 22 games

LF: Pie 90 games, Reimold 72 games

DH: Scott 100 games, Reimold 33 games, Wieters 20 games

That equates to approximately 669 PA for Markakis, 601 for Jones, 480 for Pie, 476 for Reimold, 429 for Scott, and 86 for Wieters. Like I said, the allocations aren't set in stone, it would depend how well the various players were performing.

Even if Trembley chooses to give less rest to Markakis and Jones (which seems consistent with his tendencies), it still isn't that hard to get 400 PA for each of Pie, Reimold and Scott.

Frobby's concept of sharing positions is correct. Thinking that Jones, Pie, Reimold or Scott are going to play everyday is not realistic.

Jones in two seasons has yet to be healthy enough to get 500 at bats. He dives and climbs fences and gets beat up. To project him to get more then 500 at bats is asking for trouble.

Pie can't hit lefties so he is going to sit 30% of the time and he also gets hurt on occassion.

Reimold has had injury problems most of his professional career. He too has to be projected at no more the 500 at bats.

The guy that probably takes the hit here is Scott. He will probably only DH most of the season and when he is not hot which is probably half the time he probably doesn't play as much. I can see him at about 375 at bats.

So you can argue over whether this player or that player should get more at bats or not but the facts are that injuries will take there toll and if the O's don't have 5 quality players to cover the 4 positions the team will suffer.

If Crede is signed, why can't Atkins toggle between 1st and 3rd with Scott getting games at 1st? And then Reimold and Pie get their at bats in LF and at DH.

Righty:

Pie LF

Scott 1B

Crede/Atkins 3B

Reimold DH

Lefty:

Reimold LF

Crede/Atkins 3B

Wigginton/Atkins 1B

Atkins/Scott/Weiters DH

I would believe DT would have an easier time getting guys ABs with Crede signed and giving him days off as opposed to Tejada who will expect to play everyday.

Archived