He's back! Tejada signs 1-yr deal.

jamessemaj

Am I alone in being slightly concerned that an eight-year-old knows how statistically dreadful our base running is but our GM evidently doesn't?

:scratchchinhmm:

Am I alone in thinking that an eight year, probably seven last year was baited to ask the question by a family member to get attention? and he succeeded.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I alone in thinking that an eight year, probably seven last year was baited to ask the question by a family member to get attention? and he succeeded.

I don't know. Seemed a bit "Doogie Howser" to me.

MacPhail seems abosutely livid each time he thinks about the baserunning blunders. Boog stated that the teams he played on had physical lapses. Never mental ones.

I agree with this. I have the most faith in Reimold or Wieters batting 4th. Really, I'd like Wieters 3rd and Reimold 4th w/ Markakis 2nd. I want to see if Jones' pitch recognition returns before he's anywhere near clean-up. Watching him chase breaking stuff out of the zone for the second half of the season left a bad taste in my mouth.

It really makes little sense to me that the organization can hold Reimold in such high regard and NOT see him as a clear choice for clean-up. I could be off in my opinion, but Reimold looks to me to have the most raw power of anyone on the team (with no one else I see really capable of that 30-35 HR season) and a solid approach. Seems like a perfect 4-hole to me, but eh what do I really know in the end. I'm sure AM/Trembley have looked into the different machinations.

I agree with everything you say about Reimold. When you say that you don't see anyone else on the team with that 30-35 hr season, do you mean per season, or ever?

No, sorry I wasn't clear. I mean as a regular 30-35 HR guy. I think bats like Wieters, Scott, Markakis, Bell could top 30 on the odd season. But for the most part I see them in the 20s (if bunching together, 22-26ish?).

No, sorry I wasn't clear. I mean as a regular 30-35 HR guy. I think bats like Wieters, Scott, Markakis, Bell could top 30 on the odd season. But for the most part I see them in the 20s (if bunching together, 22-26ish?).

With Wieters having so many of his home runs going to the opposite field last year, it would seem to me that he could regularly hit 30+ homeruns as he learns to adjust.

However, back to your point, I do like the idea of Reimold as a cleanup hitter because his approach is so good. He doesn't chase a lot of bad pitches, and I have confidence that he can rake a hit with two strikes.

With Wieters having so many of his home runs going to the opposite field last year, it would seem to me that he could regularly hit 30+ homeruns as he learns to adjust.

However, back to your point, I do like the idea of Reimold as a cleanup hitter because his approach is so good. He doesn't chase a lot of bad pitches, and I have confidence that he can rake a hit with two strikes.

I dont disagree -- Wieters could grow into that. Right now I see him sitting slightly below the 30 HR mark while posting a very high BA and OBP. You're probably right, though. Maybe I should have said Wieters 27-32ish, rather than grouped with the others. Shrug. We'll see how much he looks to lift.

It really makes little sense to me that the organization can hold Reimold in such high regard and NOT see him as a clear choice for clean-up. I could be off in my opinion, but Reimold looks to me to have the most raw power of anyone on the team (with no one else I see really capable of that 30-35 HR season) and a solid approach. Seems like a perfect 4-hole to me, but eh what do I really know in the end. I'm sure AM/Trembley have looked into the different machinations.
I believe I heard the Crow say as much as well.

Agreed. I see Reimold as a far better option at the four spot than AJ.

Something I just realized: with the addition of Tejada, Wigginton and Atkins becomes redundant. Is it worth keeping two "D" caliber players on our team with the exact same poor skill set? Is there any chance that either one is DFA'd (Wigginton, I hope) to make some room in case a youngster makes some serious noise in spring training? Or should we just be thankful that we actually have some ML depth on our bench this year?

Something I just realized: with the addition of Tejada, Wigginton and Atkins becomes redundant. Is it worth keeping two "D" caliber players on our team with the exact same poor skill set? Is there any chance that either one is DFA'd (Wigginton, I hope) to make some room in case a youngster makes some serious noise in spring training? Or should we just be thankful that we actually have some ML depth on our bench this year?

Right or wrong, I think the club is expecting Atkins to be a significant contributor to the club. Thus, I don't see Atkins getting DFA'd until he has been given ample opportunity to contribute. To me, this will be one of the more intriguing aspects of spring training and the early part of the season.

"Touching Base" checks in with a positive review. (BTW, Touching Base is a nice even-handed baseball blog if anybody wants to check it out).

Tejada is one of those players who is both overrated (many people still think of him as the guy who was the 2002 MVP) and underrated (while he’s lost power since appearing in the Mitchell Report, he’s remained a productive player) at the same time. One year at $6 million in this market seems right, and Tejada’s arrival allows the Orioles to use Garrett Atkins at first base while maintaining flexibility for the future.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/2010/01/miguel-tejada-rejoins-orioles.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Ftouchingbase+%28Blogs%2FTouching+Base%29

Right or wrong, I think the club is expecting Atkins to be a significant contributor to the club. Thus, I don't see Atkins getting DFA'd until he has been given ample opportunity to contribute. To me, this will be one of the more intriguing aspects of spring training and the early part of the season.

I agree...if anyone is the odd man out, it could be Ty Wigginton- perhaps via trade, maybe during spring training (although I think his flexibility could make him valuable through the season)...Wigginton can play all the infield positions and that will make him quite useful throughout the season given injury potential, the bump and grind...and it also may enable different lineup looks against right versus left...

Wigginton too will be playing for his next contract and I would not be surprised if he has a better year than last...

Archived