He's back! Tejada signs 1-yr deal.

jamessemaj

Hello everyone, long time listener and firs-time poster

Just in case you haven't seen a lot of Joe Crede, he's not now nor has he ever been a model of consistancy:

I live in Chicago and have watched or heard about Crede for the better part of a decade. At his best, he was a #7 hitter who was pretty much worthless through the first 6 innings, and then an MVP in the clutch. His defense was always good, but you have to wonder what basically five years of back problems have done to that. He hasn't played anything close to a full season in years; and before he was taking long trips to the DL, he was taking days off due to his creaky back. IMO, he's equally capable of hitting .270 or .240; he could hit 25 HR or 10. He could play 135 games or 25. Personally, I don't want to be depending on that many question marks with Ty Wigginton as the backup.....

Thanks for that and welcome aboard! :clap3:

We expect new posters to bring the doughnuts.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He started off the season batting 5th and mostly hit there until late May when he moved up to 2nd. Then he hit between 2nd, 3rd and 5th primarily after that. (This is just from a sample of games that I looked at on baseball reference)

Roberts

Markakis

Jones

Reimold

Wieters

Tejada

Scott

Atkins

Izturis ...

is how I see it playing out to start the season.

I would consider moving Jones to 4th to start the season then eventually moving to the 5th spot when Wieters gets into a flow. Reimold seems like a great #3.

Crede and Tejada are forecasted to be worth about the same with Miggi as a SS. Factor in his poor defense as he's learning the 3B position, and Crede turns out to be the more valuable player.

I can live with it I guess, but Tejada's defense at the position is going to be key regarding how this move is going to turn out.

I find it hilarious that you slam MacPhail for valuing defense so much and then when he signs someone who still has a relatively potent bat, you slam him for not being a top notch defender.

MacPhail could claim that the sky is blue and you'd beg to differ.

Hello everyone, long time listener and firs-time poster.

Just in case you haven't seen a lot of Joe Crede, he's not now nor has he ever been a model of consistancy:

I live in Chicago and have watched or heard about Crede for the better part of a decade. At his best, he was a #7 hitter who was pretty much worthless through the first 6 innings, and then an MVP in the clutch. His defense was always good, but you have to wonder what basically five years of back problems have done to that. He hasn't played anything close to a full season in years; and before he was taking long trips to the DL, he was taking days off due to his creaky back. IMO, he's equally capable of hitting .270 or .240; he could hit 25 HR or 10. He could play 135 games or 25. Personally, I don't want to be depending on that many question marks with Ty Wigginton as the backup.....

Welcome to the Hangout. I agree that Crede was a poor option.

I would consider moving Jones to 4th to start the season then eventually moving to the 5th spot when Wieters gets into a flow. Reimold seems like a great #3.

How does Reimold seem like a great #3?:confused: You do realize he hasn't even had a full season yet of hitting major league pitching and you want to categorize him as a "great #3"? :scratchchinhmm: In case you don't know it the number 3 spot on a team is reserved for its best over all hitter which is almost always a proven guy who has shown the abiity to lead his team in hitting in the past. Nobody starts out as a number three hitter without having played a full season. That would defy logic and common sense. You might experiment with Reimold there but that is all it would be. You cannot make your statement that Reimold seems like a great number # 3 hitter based on the evidence so far. There just isn't enough of it.

I'm blah on the signing. It makes some sense, but it unlikely to be a big deal one way or the other. I will say that Tejada is still capable of putting the bat on the ball hard most of the time so pitchers will have to pay some attention to him. That could marginally help the overall line up production in a non-quantifiable way. This Oriole team is going to hit the ball pretty well and score quite a few runs unless things go horribly awry with injuries.

It is amazing to watch Trea continue to embarrass himself. His posts in this thread are awful and his inconsistency is just pitiful. He seriously has an agenda against AM and may need professional assistance.

It also gives this team some proven talent in having a former league MVP, multiple AS and potential HOF player added to the cast. This IMO is something this team sorely lacked.

I think you can make a legitimate argument that Tejada was the best short-term 3B FA on the market this year. I like the signing.

I think that 1B now becomes a Scott/Atkins platoon. Pie will get his starts in the field. Reimold and Jones are made of glass.

I'm blah on the signing. It makes some sense, but it unlikely to be a big deal one way or the other. I will say that Tejada is still capable of putting the bat on the ball hard most of the time so pitchers will have to pay some attention to him. That could marginally help the overall line up production in a non-quantifiable way. This Oriole team is going to hit the ball pretty well and score quite a few runs unless things go horribly awry with injuries.

It is amazing to watch Trea continue to embarrass himself. His posts in this thread are awful and his inconsistency is just pitiful. He seriously has an agenda against AM and may need professional assistance.

I'm pretty happy with it. Not elated, but I'm happy.

He'll give us more production than Mora did and I'm not sold on all the naysayers who believe he'll be a bad defender. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to that.

It's a step up from Mora last year, it'll give Bell a full year in the minors, (which I believe he will need) and it just makes us an all around better team for 2010.

Archived