How many CURRENT mlb parks have you seen a game in?

Pedro Cerrano

I had fun in Stade Olympique. I think it was Boswell who once wrote that one of the advantages of baseball over football was that a crowd of 20,000 has more fun in a stadium designed for 55,000 than a crowd of 55,000 would. This was in the 80s, before baseball teams regularly sold out games. You can get away with a lot of stuff when you're in a crowd of 7,000 in a place built to hold 60k.

Oh, and if you're talking worst stadiums of all time I think you have to go back a ways. In the 1800s it was not uncommon for the stands at major leauge ballparks to either collapse or catch fire (or maybe both) during games, killing spectators. As nondescript and sterile as the park in Montreal was, it never killed anybody who'd paid to see a game there. And things that passed as major league parks as late as the 1910s or 1920s wouldn't meet the standards of the Carolina or Eastern Leagues today.

But didn't it try to once? I seem to recall the stadium being closed for a week or two and the Expos having to switch some series to the road because pieces of concrete were falling down into the seating area and repairs had to be made.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you were still in Blacksburg the day before, when Mussina pitched the great game vs Hershiser and we lost in 12 innings? I was in Blacksburg too, for whatever football game we had that weekend. Watched the Mussina/Hershiser game at Champs.

Yea, a bunch of us went down for the game. Apparently it was an awful 24-17 loss to Miami of Ohio. :mad: Then another friend drove down to meet us after the game, we drove to Cleveland in the morning, saw the game, then went home to sleep on Columbus Day.

(Edit: week after that, so it was actually a 17-7 win over BC.)

Stadiums I have attended, past AND present

MLB:

I have been to Camden Yards (obviously)

Memorial Stadium

Yankee Stadium

New Yankee <s>Shopping Mall</s> Stadium

Petco Park (really nice ballpark, but they won't let you bring bottled water in)

This year I am going to make my first trip to:

Natinals park

Citi Field

ok here we go

OPACY

Old Yankee stadium

Skydome

Fenway Park

Jacobs Field

Old Indians Mistake by the lake

Comerica Park (Tigers)

the Big A

Petco Park

Bank One (diamondbacks)

Wrigley

old Comisky park

Miller Park

PNC Park

3 Rivers

Old Busch stadium

Safeco Field

Memorial Stadium

RFK

Nationals Park

Great American Ball Park (Reds)

This year we plan on going to San Francisco

This year we plan on going to San Francisco
You'll love it. One of the best, especially when compared to candlestick. You may also want to hop on the Bay Bridge and see the Cavernous Colliseum in Oakland as it's pretty close (maybe 1/2 hour) and it would be another notch on the pistol grip.

Current:

OPACY

Wrigley

US Cellular Field

Fenway

PNC

Nationals Stadium

OLD:

Yankee Stadium

Veterans Stadium

Metro Dome

I hope to make more road trips this year. I would love to see the O's in Chicago and New York again this year like I have in years past. I am also trying to make the trip to San Fransico and Toronto to see the O's.

I'm not going to be the closest to the goal, but here are mine:

Toronto

Baltimore

Texas

Boston

Yankees

Atlanta

Cubs

Dodgers

San Francisco

I originally answered the question literally, but seeing how the thread has morphed I'll add:

Didn't see a game but...

Oakland (drove past it a couple times)

Seattle / Safeco - took the tour this summer while M's were on road

Detroit/Comerica - got within a few blocks walking (saw the lights) before I had to go back to work

Chicago/US Cellular - drove past it

Philly/Citizen's Bank Park - drove past it

Great American Ballpark - peered through gates & visited Reds HOF

Coors Field - took pictures outside it during October snowstorm last fall

Phoenix/Dbacks home - went in just after 2009 season ended - they had Daniel Cabrera's name on the scoreboard

Defunct

Memorial Stadium - my second home in the first half of my life

Yankee Stadium - dozen or so times

Atlanta Fulton-County (walked by it before implosion)

Exhibition Stadium - saw it from a distance

RFK - Saw some exhibition games and Jamaica/US soccer

Shea Stadium - dozen or so times

Veteran's Stadium - saw it during off-season

Three Rivers - rode past it as a kid

Some interesting stories! I still have a lot of them to cross off, only about a quarter way there. I took a road trip to Canada with my sons back in 2002 to see the Expos when I thought it would be their last year in Montreal. Of course they played two more seasons before moving to DC. Got to see Vlad hit a popup off the ceiling and drop back into shallow right field for a double. Then we went down the road to Toronto and saw a game between the Orioles and Jays. During the game I got to see them close the roof of what was then Skydome.

I also took a trip to the Big Apple in 2008 with my wife to see Yankee Stadium and Shea before they closed. Had been to the Bronx back in the early 70's as a kid but wanted to get there once more before it closed.

Current stadiums:

BAL

BOS

TOR

WAS

PHI

HOU

ARI

Old stadiums:

BAL

NYY

NYM

MTL

I'll make it a point to try to get to the new ones in NY sometime, more likely 2011 than this summer. There's a reasonable chance I can swing a business trip someplace this summer that I can work a game into while on the road, though nothing is set just yet.

As for the list of ones I have seen from the outside but not a game:

NYY (new)

TBR

CLE

LAA

SEA (old)

NYM (new)

PIT

SF

There could well be others but really, how significant is it if I didn't get to go inside?

Archived