MacPhail: Miggy won't play any SS

Frobby

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see AM saying we didn't bring Miggy here to play SS, but telling the Manager he cant play there is ludicrous.

People need to realize that Miggy may not want to be treated like a yo-yo. If he's moving to third and on a one-year contract, he might be out to prove that he can be a good third baseman for 2011. Going back and forth might impede his progress.

Can Justin Turner really be worse than Andino?

Defensively, absolutely. Turner has only played 31 games at shortstop in his entire minor league career. Since two organizations have decided he can not play there effectively in anything more than in emergency, than I would say absolutely Andino is a better option as a back up shortstop.

Shortstop is the one position you don't want to give up too much defense.

Don't forget Scott Moore was a SS when he was drafted, and they did try him out there some in Norfolk.

Moore was going to be a candidate for 3B, but now that Tejada has that role, I think you'll see him compete with Turner and Andino for a supersub role.

I think this is a waste of roster flexibility.

I understand the thought of wanting to let Miggy get adjusted to 3B and not have to worry about SS at all, but I don't see how switching back to SS once a week or so will derail his development at 3B. It may slow it just a bit, but I think the advantage of an actual useful roster spot far outweighs the slight retardation of Miggy's adjustment to 3B.

I figured as much...

So all of you Andino droppers...in the case that BRob gets injured, who is his replacement?...and don't you dare say Wigginton.

Wigginton is actually a solid defensive 2B man. Scott Moore would be the non-Wigginton option.

Keep in mind also for you Turner fans, he's going to be riding the pine a ton as the 25th man, and it might be better to see him get regular playing time in Norfolk, just in case Roberts goes down for a period of time and they need him.

Somebody like Moore, who likely doesn't have the potential future of a ML regular, would be more suited to a bench role because that's the role he'll have anyway.

I second that, Turner.
Yep, Turner both because he can handle 2B and also because he is a nice bat against left-handed pitching. I think he could have a .775+ OPS against lefties, which would be a real nice way to both have a decent PH bat against lefties as well to spell Roberts once or twice a month against left-handed starters.

MacPhail never said that Tejada wouldn't be used as a back up - just that his primary position is that of thirdbase and he won't be in any type of "rotation".

If injuries occur I am sure that Miggy will get a start or two at short.

Not according to the MASN article sighted in the OP:

O's president Andy MacPhail says Tejada's signing will not keep the Orioles from carrying a utility infielder and he doesn't expect to see Miggy at shortstop at all.

"If he makes the move to third, he makes the move to third. We don't want to move him back and forth like a yo-yo."

Archived