Dennis Sarfate DFA

NCSUFreak2006

I guess you missed the last couple of games at home. Dennis' last pitch to Overbay was 97, and the previous pitch was 96. Oh yeah, there were also a couple of 79 curves for strikes. No mattter. It's over and done with. Good luck to your site and with your team. Hope they have a wonderful year. We should have a new place to land in a few days. It's all good. Personally I am wishing he goes back to the NL, somewhere close to home.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess you missed the last couple of games at home. Dennis' last pitch to Overbay was 97, and the previous pitch was 96. Oh yeah, there were also a couple of 79 curves for strikes. No mattter. It's over and done with. Good luck to your site and with your team. Hope they have a wonderful year. We should have a new place to land in a few days. It's all good. Personally I am wishing he goes back to the NL, somewhere close to home.

Uh oh :( feelings hurts.

I wish Sarfate the best seemed like a good dude, and liked his MASN skits.

my feelings aren't hurt. Get the facts right, that's all. So many people write opinions on here and think they are gospel. The facts are the facts. His ball isn't straight, that is nonsense. Ask Palmer the next time you talk to him, what Dennis' stuff is like. I already have. Dennis will be playing MLB this year. Why would my feelings be hurt?

my feelings aren't hurt. Get the facts right, that's all. So many people write opinions on here and think they are gospel. The facts are the facts. His ball isn't straight, that is nonsense. Ask Palmer the next time you talk to him, what Dennis' stuff is like. I already have. Dennis will be playing MLB this year. Why would my feelings be hurt?

Well, we'll just have to disagree about the movement of his fastball. I've talked with multiple scouts about all of the Orioles pitchers as well and each mentioned the lack of movement on Sarfate's fastball. Either way, he's a good guy and i hope he lands on his feet somewhere. If he popped a few 97's at the end of the year, good for him. I saw him at 92-93 in late September. If he was throwing 97 mph with movement the Orioles would not have DFA'd him.

Regardless, I hope he does well, it's nothing personal, but the Orioles have a bunch of right-handed relievers and it's probably good for him if he found somewhere with less depth.

I saw him about a dozen times in Harbor East with his wife and his daughter in the past six months or so. He was always smiling and talking to people. It looked like he was completely digging living in Baltimore. I assume that he hadn't purchased a home, but that part of it must really suck.

Doesn't every pitcher wish he was in the NL? :D

Seriously, though...all the best to Dennis going forward.

For the Orioles sake and since he said he really liked Baltimore, I hope that he goes unclaimed and then makes the team in Spring Training. If he is claimed, good luck to him and hopefully it is a team closer to home.

I'm not sure where this is coming from but I've read this several times now. Sarfate was topping out at 92-93 MPH in September and batters hit .286 off him. He allowed 20 batters to reach base in 12.2 IP.

Add to the fact we have Lebron, Mickiolio, Merideth, Berken, Hernandez, Albers and Gabino as replacements for him just on the 40-man roster. In Norfolk, Miller, Hoey, Ouellette, Perrault, and Tanaka all come to mind as additional right-handers that could be as good or better.

Could we have parted ways with Hughes instead? Possibly, but we have way more redundancy in right-handed middle relievers than we do power hitting 1B/DH types.

He's a good depth guy, but he's no big loss if he's signed by someone else.

What is it you see in Berken, Albers, and Gabino? Whatever it is, it's apparently a lot more than I've seen.

What is it you see in Berken, Albers, and Gabino? Whatever it is, it's apparently a lot more than I've seen.

Honestly I don't know squat about Gabino but the Orioles must like him enough to put him on the 40-man. Berken has better overall stuff 9much better breaking stuff) and can be stretched out to be a spot starter/long man and Albers can be a groundball machine when he's on. Albers could be next if he doesn't come to camp in much better shape than last year.

I don't post much, am content to just sit back and check the drift. But this one really has me upset. With the flotsam and jetsam that remains on this roster, I do not understand how they could let an arm like Sarfate's go (he was throwing in the upper 90s at season end). His fast ball is hardly straight, in fact it has strong running movement in on right-handers. It sometimes moves too much and that's why he gets in trouble with his control. He also has a very good breaking ball; I thought it was amusing to read that someone thought that David Hernandez had a better one (don't know which David H that person was watching; wish he did).

Sarfate will be claimed without doubt, probably by the first or second team in the queue - KC? Cleveland? Oakland? He gone and quick . . .

I don't post much, am content to just sit back and check the drift. But this one really has me upset. With the flotsam and jetsam that remains on this roster, I do not understand how they could let an arm like Sarfate's go (he was throwing in the upper 90s at season end). His fast ball is hardly straight, in fact it has strong running movement in on right-handers. It sometimes moves too much and that's why he gets in trouble with his control. He also has a very good breaking ball; I thought it was amusing to read that someone thought that David Hernandez had a better one (don't know which David H that person was watching; wish he did).

Sarfate will be claimed without doubt, probably by the first or second team in the queue - KC? Cleveland? Oakland? He gone and quick . . .

Sarfate has a career 4.53 ERA and has never had an ERA under 4.74 in a full season. He was walked 6.1/9 and his strikeout rate dropped off last season with the velocity drop. His career 1.49 WHIP is not exactly jaw dropping. He's 28-years old and and his career comps by baseball reference are just ugly.

Someone might give him a shot, but I think you and few others are way over estimating his value and his effectiveness.

Honestly I don't know squat about Gabino but the Orioles must like him enough to put him on the 40-man.

Here's what little I know. Gabino pitched in his native Dominican League this winter, and not very well. In one start and seven relief appearances, he got clobbered for 13 hits in 9 innings pitched en route to a 1-2, 6.00 line. He got tagged for a couple long balls, walked four and struck out only five.

However, he got picked up by the Leones de Caracas to pitch in the Venezuelan playoffs and put up a 1.08 ERA in 8 appearances. (8 1/3 ip, 6 h, 1 bb, 4 k). I didn't see any of the games, but it's nice that his small sample sizes give at least the illusion of improvement.

Incidentally, another Dominican --Radhames Liz-- also surfaced in the Venezuelan semi-finals. Sorry to report he walked 9 batters over 7 innings in his two starts.

Archived