Dawson and the Hall

sangar

Andre Dawson will be inducted into the Hall of Fame as an Expo. He publicly stated many times he wanted to go in as a Cub. He says his best years and happiest memories were while playing for Chicago and that is the way he wants to be remembered.

The Hall didn't say no, they didn't say anything. They decided that he will go in as an Expo and Andre was never even offered the opportunity to offer input.

I can understand the Hall maintaining final approval but the player's wishes should be given primary consideration not ignored as irrelevant.

Wade Boggs wanted to go in as a Devil Ray. Clemens has repeatedly said he wants to go in as a Yankee. And if there's a hope in hell of seeing Mussina inducted in an O's uni, it certainly won't be because the Hall took his wishes into account.

Fair's fair. This is one area where the Hall should be given credit for generally getting things right.

Then there's this ...

Dude's lucky to even be in the Hall. He should quit complaining.

You speak truth.

I don't see a real solution to the matter. If you let the player be the sole decider you end up with a possible scenario like Boggs going in as a Ray, even though he denied it. If you let the Hall decide you risk pissing off the player and sticking them with a hat they didn't want, or with a hat that doesn't represent the essence of their career. I don't see a real, fair solution, but in general I support not simply deferring to the player.

Now that I think about it the only real solution is to get rid of the hat thing and just enshrine them as the individual, as the NFL does. Sure we remember more for one team than another, but they aren't recognized as such. Personally I'd rather not go down that road, as I think the baseball HOF is unique in this regard, but it's about the only solution I can think of that's fair to both sides.

In this case I feel they got it right. Dawson can complain all he wants, but he made a name for himself, spent the most number of years, and accumulated the bulk of his stats with the Expos. I'm sure the Hall of Fame has probably considered trying to acknowledge the Expos franchise now that they don't exist anymore, so that might be a part of it.

I don't see a real solution to the matter. If you let the player be the sole decider you end up with a possible scenario like Boggs going in as a Ray, even though he denied it. If you let the Hall decide you risk pissing off the player and sticking them with a hat they didn't want, or with a hat that doesn't represent the essence of their career. I don't see a real, fair solution, but in general I support not simply deferring to the player.

Now that I think about it the only real solution is to get rid of the hat thing and just enshrine them as the individual, as the NFL does. Sure we remember more for one team than another, but they aren't recognized as such. Personally I'd rather not go down that road, as I think the baseball HOF is unique in this regard, but it's about the only solution I can think of that's fair to both sides.

In this case I feel they got it right. Dawson can complain all he wants, but he made a name for himself, spent the most number of years, and accumulated the bulk of his stats with the Expos. I'm sure the Hall of Fame has probably considered trying to acknowledge the Expos franchise now that they don't exist anymore, so that might be a part of it.

Catfish Hunter went in with a blank hat (because he hated both Charlie Finley AND George Steinbrenner :P), so maybe if it's that much of an issue for a certain player you can do that.

I agree about Boggs, though. This is why we can't have nice things! :D

I don't get what the big deal is. Right below the guy's picture on the plaque there's a full listing of every big league team he played for and the years. Not like you're wandering around the Hall thinking Dawson only played for the Expos.

I don't think you'd say that if Frank was inducted as a Red. Or if somehow Murray were to somehow go in as something other than an Oriole.

I don't think you'd say that if Frank was inducted as a Red. Or if somehow Murray were to somehow go in as something other than an Oriole.

I wouldn't have an issue with Frank with a Reds cap. Murray couldn't be anything but an Oriole with the current system, which is what I like.

I'd be curious to know 1) who would have a problem if Frank Robinson were inducted as a Red, and 2) among them who would feel as though Mike Mussina (should he make the Hall) should go in as an Oriole. I feel those are very similar cases.

Honestly, there's a very legitimate case for Robby going in as a Red, and if that had happened I wouldn't be too upset. It would be interesting for things like retired numbers (since all six retired Orioles went to the Hall as Orioles), too.

It would be one of 10000 little annoyances that I'd change if I could but I can't so I won't worry about it.

As the great philosopher Mickey Rivers once said: Ain't no sense worrying about stuff you ain't got no control over, 'cause if you ain't got no control over 'em, there ain't no sense worrying. And there ain't no sense worrying about stuff you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, there ain't no sense worrying.

Archived