Dawson and the Hall

sangar

I think the player's choice should be the first consideration the Hall looks at. If it seems within reason then it should be approved. If it is not reasonable (Boggs) then the Hall makes the choice.

I agree. It's a typical overreaction from Selig. Like the AS game.

Does Selig have any governance over what the Hall does at all?

Honest question. I don't know.

I don't think there's any official linkage between MLB leadership and the Hall, but more of a traditional one. The Hall often does whatever the heck it wants, but I'm sure they take the Commish into some consideration.

It would be one of 10000 little annoyances that I'd change if I could but I can't so I won't worry about it.

As the great philosopher Mickey Rivers once said: Ain't no sense worrying about stuff you ain't got no control over, 'cause if you ain't got no control over 'em, there ain't no sense worrying. And there ain't no sense worrying about stuff you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, there ain't no sense worrying.

One of the best quotes ever. Something to live by.

Who gets to define "within reason"?

Well I think the Boggs case is an obvious one where someone should step in and say "Wait a minute,". If Frank Robinson tried to go in as an Indian or an Angel or if Joe Morgan tried going in as a Giant, those would be other examples.

Who gets to define "within reason"?
Good point. Even something like a consensus opinion from a group of intellegent men is no guarantee that common sense will prevail. But any system that ignores the wishes of the man who is being honored is inherently wrong.

You weren't talking to me, but who cares? I know Frank Robinson and Eddie Murray played for the Orioles.
Does your son (Grandson?) know Ty Cobb played for the Tigers? I think uniforms are important for both historical content as well as the pride most players had in wearing that uniform. I guarantee most players would agree.

Does your son (Grandson?) know Ty Cobb played for the Tigers? I think uniforms are important for both historical content as well as the pride most players had in wearing that uniform. I guarantee most players would agree.

He would if he went to the HOF and looked at Cobb's plaque, even if Cobb had on a different cap.

I don't see how what cap a guy goes into the HOF with changes how well people know what teams guys played for. Well except for people who have no clue who they played for in the first place and happen to catch the news of the induction or whatever.

He would if he went to the HOF and looked at Cobb's plaque, even if Cobb had on a different cap.

I don't see how what cap a guy goes into the HOF with changes how well people know what teams guys played for. Well except for people who have no clue who they played for in the first place and happen to catch the news of the induction or whatever.

So then do you think Boggs should have been allowed to go in as a Devil Ray?

So then do you think Boggs should have been allowed to go in as a Devil Ray?

I think Boggs should go in as a hell of a baseball player.

What percentage of fans make the trip to a tiny village in upstate NY so they can go look at the plaque and see the hat he's wearing? 1%? Probably not that much. Most people know Frank was an Oriole and Ty Cobb was mostly a Tiger but also an Athletic because they're baseball fans, and baseball fans know stuff about baseball.

I have an honest question. Am I the only one who likes the logos on the caps?

Of course not. When a player is identified with a team, it is only natural that fans of the team-and-player wanna see the guy wearing the right hat...

I don't get what the big deal is. Right below the guy's picture on the plaque there's a full listing of every big league team he played for and the years. Not like you're wandering around the Hall thinking Dawson only played for the Expos.

Even though most know that his best years were spent in Montreal as an Expo. :D

WOW. I just looked at his stats. Did you guys know that Dawson never walked more than 44 times in a season? And in his MVP season, walked only 32 times in 621 ABs? He should go in as an Expo, that 44-walk season took place in Montreal.....................;)

WOW. I just looked at his stats. Did you guys know that Dawson never walked more than 44 times in a season? And in his MVP season, walked only 32 times in 621 ABs? He should go in as an Expo, that 44-walk season took place in Montreal.....................;)

Sure, his OBP is the main criticism against him. If he'd averaged 75 walks a year he'd be a no-doubt HOFer and probably would have deserved several MVP awards. I believe his OBP is the lowest of any HOF outfielder, including the questionable/huge Hall choices made by the Vet's Committee.

Archived