Joe Jordan on the Rob Long Show at 9:45am today

ScottieBaseball

I was talking about hitters not pitchers.

We had the pitching depth to take a Matzek, and there were plenty of FA arms that could put up what Matusz would have until Matzek was ready.

And yet we have this, from the day long BA chat the other day:

Adam (Charlotte, NC): What's the ceiling on Justin Smoak? Do you think it's possible he puts up Texiera type numbers for his career?

Jim Shonerd: Smoak doesn't have 40 home run power like Teixeira, though playing half his games in Arlington will help. Still, he can be .290-.300 hitter with 20-25 home run power, with above-average defense thrown in.

.290-300 with 20-25 home runs, in Arlington. I am not sure that Snyder might not end up close to those numbers if he played in Arlington. I am certain that finding that on the free agent market would be easier then finding a #1/2 left handed starting pitcher.

And put me into the camp that thinks you never have enough pitching depth.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And yet we have this, from the day long BA chat the other day:

.290-300 with 20-25 home runs, in Arlington. I am not sure that Snyder might not end up close to those numbers if he played in Arlington. I am certain that finding that on the free agent market would be easier then finding a #1/2 left handed starting pitcher.

And put me into the camp that thinks you never have enough pitching depth.

The difference, I guess, is about .050 points of OBP and plus defense at 1B.

Not sure that's worth giving up Matusz in our system.

Here's another angle to speculate on. Maybe part of the thinking is that with all the current young pitching talent geared up for 2011 (Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, Arrieta, Britton, Erbe) it's a good idea to have another top guy ready to compete not with that group but as part of a later wave.
I think this point shouldn't be overlooked during this discussion. Both this year and last year AM seems to be building a wave of pitchers due to arrive around the same time our current wave will be hitting arb and/or FA. Rather than spending a bundle keeping them (buying arms?) he will let most leave and bring up young arms that we have grown.

I was talking about hitters not pitchers.

We had the pitching depth to take a Matzek, and there were plenty of FA arms that could put up what Matusz would have until Matzek was ready.

Ha ha ha. Development time is only important when JTrea says it is. Okay.

I don't care about other drafts - I care about passing on a great talent like Matzek who's like Hobgood - a HS pitcher - except apparently a much better prospect.

Not to the Orioles. If they thought Matzek was a much better prospect they would have selected him. I'm fine with people who like Matzek better, but the one thing I will reject every time is that the Orioles choose a guy who they believed was a much lesser prospect just to save some money.

Not to the Orioles. If they thought Matzek was a much better prospect they would have selected him. I'm fine with people who like Matzek better, but the one thing I will reject every time is that the Orioles choose a guy who they believed was a much lesser prospect just to save some money.

I understand that, but either way, it's a problem - unless everyone else who does rankings is wrong.

I understand that, but either way, it's a problem - unless everyone else who does rankings is wrong.

Not wrong in general, just wrong about one player, and that happens all the time. It is not unusual for great ballplayers to have been drafted way down in the draft, after dozens and sometimes hundreds of guys who never make it were chosen first. More than 5 dozen guys were picked before Eddie, and more than 400 guys were picked before Pujols. It's fairly normal for everybody to be wrong about an individual player.

So Tony, let me ask you this...If Matzek would have signed for the same money, do the Orioles draft him or Hobgood? Have you ever asked JJ this?

Archived