Joe Jordan on the Rob Long Show at 9:45am today

ScottieBaseball

Speaking of Joe Jordan.....

http://baltimoresportsandlife.blogspot.com/2010/01/few-more-questions-with-mr-joe-jordan.html

Thought you guys would be interested in some of his comments here.

Baltimore Sports and Life: “I believe you announced the O’s spent $8.8M on the 2009 draft-picks. Will there be a similar budget available for the draft-picks in 2010?”

Mr. Joe Jordan: “I asked for even more than that. I haven’t given the budget much thought – we have a lot of work to do from now til June. I have always been given the financial resources to sign the players we like. This year will be no different.”

Let's hope he gets it. The O's should spend as much as they can on the draft. We should be willing to go as high as $15-17 million if need be.

If Harper falls to us for example, we have to take him if he's the BPA. Signablity should not be a factor in the first round.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's hope he gets it. The O's should spend as much as they can on the draft. We should be willing to go as high as $15-17 million if need be.

If Harper falls to us for example, we have to take him if he's the BPA. Signablity should not be a factor in the first round.

Wade Townsend says Hi. And good bye.

But, was Matzek so much better than Hobgood that it was worth spending enough on him to get him signed. Matzek ended up signing for about $4M, but that was as the 11th pick. If he went #5 overall, he probably would have taken even more.

I think its easy and fair to say that Matzek would have been the better pick than Hobgood for even money.

What's less clear, is if Hobgood + $2-3M or so to spend later in the draft is better than just Matzek.

Would you rather have Hobgood, Givens, and Coffey or just Matzek? I think that's the more fair and the more interesting debate.

It's a matter of opinion. I understand what BAL is doing with spreading out the bonus, but yes Matzek was MUCH better at draft day than Hobgood. Matzek shows feel four 4 pitches and by draft day had posted playoff games with velo readings in the mid-90s. Who knows where the velocity ultimately ends-up, but he was a more refined pitcher with plus stuff and mechanics, even if Hobgoods curveball potentially ends up the best singular pitch between the two.

Guest rochester
Jordan's pick of Hobgood is going to be scrutinized until he makes it to the majors, as right now, three better HS pitchers were taken after him.

Matzek, Turner, Wheeler are all ranked higher than Hobgood.

And Callis recently said Matzek would be better than Tallion, likely the #1 HS pitcher in the 2010 draft if not the #1 pick.

Jordan looks like he really blew this pick, but only time will tell...

How incredibly biased! May want to wait, oh I don't know, a couple of years before even making a statement like this.

Yes that is what he said. Some folks, myself included, do not believe that money did not play some part in the pick.

So you think Jordan is a liar? Besides theories and speculation by folks like yourself, what has Joe done to make you believe he's being less than truthful?

I really don't understand. Jordan has come out and said he liked Hobgood better than Matzek. I heard from other scouts there were some concerns about Matzek's delivery holding up and his attitude. Matzek slipped to #11 and seven pitchers were taken above him. Maybe, just maybe other teams had some concerns as well.

Could it be that Jordan and his scouts actually just liked Hobgood better than the so-called "consensus"?

It's a matter of opinion. I understand what BAL is doing with spreading out the bonus, but yes Matzek was MUCH better at draft day than Hobgood. Matzek shows feel four 4 pitches and by draft day had posted playoff games with velo readings in the mid-90s. Who knows where the velocity ultimately ends-up, but he was a more refined pitcher with plus stuff and mechanics, even if Hobgoods curveball potentially ends up the best singular pitch between the two.

Seven pitchers went before Matzek. I know there were some money issues here, but seven teams choose another guy. Maybe some other teams besides the Orioles had some concerns about Matzek as well?

To you, Matzek was MUCH better, but for the Orioles and six other teams, they liked another guy better. I'm not convinced it was all about money.

A podcast of the Jordan interview is now up: http://www.roblongshow.com/

- First a general discussion of how far the farm system has come since Jordan arrived (mostly Long just complimenting Jordan).

- Discussion of Britton. He was a tall skinny kid with a quick arm when we signed him. He has gained 25 pounds, throws a tough sinker 90-94 mph, Tyler Henson told Jordan nobody hits the ball squarely off him, all the grounders are spinning this way and that. He is very focused and determined to get where he wants to be.

- Discussion of Joseph. Long mentions that whenever they interview the top pitching prospects, they all rave about Joseph. Jordan says they kind of lucked into signing him on the 2nd day of the draft, there were some doubts in the industry about his ability to catch but he sent a scout out who said Joseph could catch for him any day.

- Discussions of Hobgood and Henson that I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread. Suffice it to say Jordan is very confident in Hobgood, loves his intangibles and his physical abilities, and he already has three pitches.

Thanks for posting.

So you think Jordan is a liar? Besides theories and speculation by folks like yourself, what has Joe done to make you believe he's being less than truthful?

I really don't understand. Jordan has come out and said he liked Hobgood better than Matzek. I heard from other scouts there were some concerns about Matzek's delivery holding up and his attitude. Matzek slipped to #11 and seven pitchers were taken above him. Maybe, just maybe other teams had some concerns as well.

Could it be that Jordan and his scouts actually just liked Hobgood better than the so-called "consensus"?

I think Jordan is a decent man and a good soldier that does the best that he can with what he is given to work with.

I also think that if everyone else on record is saying that Matzek and Wheeler>Hobgood then that is probably the case.

The fact that the O's openly exceeded budget in signing Givens shows that Matzek + later overslot signing would have been problematical.

Do you know if the O's would have authorized say 10.8 million instead of 8.8 million for the entire draft if Matzek was picked?

The O's should spend as much as they can on the draft.

No they shouldn't. They should spend as much as they think the talent is worth, not as much as they can.

The idea is not to somehow blow every dollar in the budget, it's to make good decisions. If they can the same talent for less money, that's good, not bad.

He said that his budget hasn't been a problem...

Seven pitchers went before Matzek. I know there were some money issues here, but seven teams choose another guy. Maybe some other teams besides the Orioles had some concerns about Matzek as well?

To you, Matzek was MUCH better, but for the Orioles and six other teams, they liked another guy better. I'm not convinced it was all about money.

Tony, let's be fair and honest. Baseball America contacts scouts from all organizations when writing up players. Law, whose opinion you lauded in the Minors section today, has Matzek in his top 25 prospects in all of baseball (elite, and correct I think, placement for a HS arm yet to throw a pro pitch). Perfrect Game, people I'm becoming more and more familiar with at each event, had Matzek as a superior talent and they probably saw as much of Matzek against top HS competition as anyone.

Yes, I may be swayed because I've seen Matzek up close and walked away very impressed, but I hardly think simply looking at draft slot is an indication that six other teams liked their people better solely on talent/potential. We know, for example, that the Braves took Minor as a slot signing. And are you really going to include Drew Storen in your "seven"?

There's room to have a nice discussion about the merits of Hobgood vs. Matzek, absolutely. But when we start saying the Nationals like Drew Storen more than Matzek I think we may be overstating the situation. I'm happy to hear anyone's argument as to what about Hobgood's (or any of the other pitchers') stuff, mechanics and projection make him/them a better future player than Matzek. What I'm not willing to do is simply point to draft slot and say each selection was made solely based on talent appraisal.

I'm not gonna dig around for too long, but here are a few that I found quickly.

I thank you for the effort but that is two, two is not most. The highest they had him picked is #11, which is a fine place to be picked, but is still a reach with the fifth pick. The other links you thoughtfully provided show him to be late first round, which I agreed with.

Edit-Honestly no sarcasm intended, I would rep but I must spread.

No they shouldn't. They should spend as much as they think the talent is worth, not as much as they can.

The idea is not to somehow blow every dollar in the budget, it's to make good decisions. If they can the same talent for less money, that's good, not bad.

He said that his budget hasn't been a problem...

If the same people are spending it, more is always better.

Jordan isn't all of a sudden going to start stupidly spending money if he has $13M to spend a year instead of $9M. That extra $4M might not be spent as prudently as the first $9M, but it wouldn't be just throwing it away. It'd likely be spent on guys that are a bit more risky, but we're still more likely to bring in more talent with more money.

More is better. There is no denying that.

Of course, its not exactly a debate that's interesting in any way here on a message board. Its the equivalent of saying you'd want to spend $30M a year for 10 years on Holliday because "hey, its not my money!". Some people try to come at these types of debates from a perspective or reality and what the real-world constraints actually are for as much of an understanding of them as we can grasp. Others don't care what the constraints are and always just want the team to spend more, whether its the draft or free agency or whatever.

How to best spend whatever money we do have allotted is a more interesting conversation to me than "we should just spend more, always".

Archived