Joe Jordan on the Rob Long Show at 9:45am today

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did he say about Britton?

The part I heard:

- He still has a lot of confidence in Hobgood, compared him to a young Kevin Millwood, and is very high on the Orioles' ability to develop young pitchers and maximize their potential.

- His pick for an organizational "sleeper" is Tyler Henson, who is a great athlete who can play five positions and Jordan thinks he could have a Mark DeRosa type career.

Jordan's pick of Hobgood is going to be scrutinized until he makes it to the majors, as right now, three better HS pitchers were taken after him.

Matzek, Turner, Wheeler are all ranked higher than Hobgood.

And Callis recently said Matzek would be better than Tallion, likely the #1 HS pitcher in the 2010 draft if not the #1 pick.

Jordan looks like he really blew this pick, but only time will tell...

Jordan's pick of Hobgood is going to be scrutinized until he makes it to the majors, as right now, three better HS pitchers were taken after him.

Matzek, Turner, Wheeler are all ranked higher than Hobgood.

And Callis recently said Matzek would be better than Tallion, likely the #1 HS pitcher in the 2010 draft if not the #1 pick.

Jordan looks like he really blew this pick, but only time will tell...

So, Callis is a better judge of talent than Jordan, I guess.

There is little doubt that Jordan is out on a limb with Hobgood. If that pick succeeds, he'll be a visionary, but if he fails, that pick will haunt Jordan forever because it was not what most other teams would have done. No. 5 picks don't come along all the time, so you would hate to miss big with one.

Here's a tougher question: Hobgood turns out to be Millwood, Matzek turns out to be a real consistent no. 1 starter. How do you feel about the pick at that point? My answer is, if you get a Millwood out of that pick, you don't worry about what might have been.

There is little doubt that Jordan is out on a limb with Hobgood. If that pick succeeds, he'll be a visionary, but if he fails, that pick will haunt Jordan forever because it was not what most other teams would have done. No. 5 picks don't come along all the time, so you would hate to miss big with one.

Here's a tougher question: Hobgood turns out to be Millwood, Matzek turns out to be a real consistent no. 1 starter. How do you feel about the pick at that point? My answer is, if you get a Millwood out of that pick, you don't worry about what might have been.

I agree with everything in this post.

You can't complain if Hobgood ends up being a Millwood type, even if Matzek ends up being a bit better.

My answer is, if you get a Millwood out of that pick, you don't worry about what might have been.

Agreed. Quite frankly, any pick that makes it to the major leagues for more than a cup of coffee is a successful pick. The list of #1 picks in the draft that have crashed and burned long before making it to the majors is a long one - baseball wide, not just the O's. :)

Seems to be a relative gamble on the part of Jordan. But it's hard to argue with his drafting success since he's gotten here. Minus Rowell. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the general concensus was that after Strasburg and Ackley there was a pretty big drop off and not much difference in talent through the rest of the 1st round. So I totally understand Jordan going with a guy that wasn't demanding the moon and who he has said numerous times was his favorite pick at #5.

No, but you are not going to hear ANYONE say that they had Hobgood rated higher than Matzek. Matzek should have been the pick for a number of reason including him being further along than Hobgood. I do not mind taking high upside high school kids, just not when high upside college pitchers are available. Only time will tell, but the Orioles taking Hobgood over Matzek reminds me of the Raiders taking Heyward-Bay over Crabtree.

Archived