Duke vs Maryland

Sports Guy

I know both of these teams have a game before they play on Saturday...And I know that both of them could lose their next games even though they both should win.

So, while I am not overlooking those games, I wanted to discuss this game.

I still believe Duke is the best team in the conference but MD and GT appear to be in the running for second best team...with teams like Clemson, Wake and maybe FSU on the outside and could join in that conversation before too long.(yardbirds, not discounting your boys..just need to see more at this point)

It is very possible that this game will be for the lead in the conference.

First of all, Duke is the best home team in the country. They shoot great, blow teams out, etc...Katz just wrote a blog about this but can't find it.

Duke has the bigger, deeper and more talented front line...MD has the deeper backcourt but Smith and Scheyer could be first team all acc guys...as will Grievis(who may get POY since Davis and Singler aren't deserving...Landesburg also in this discussion).

As I said in the other thread, I expect each of these teams to split this year...I don't think MD goes into Cameron and wins and I don't think Duke wins on senior night at MD, in primetime.

MD got embrassed by Duke last year in Cameron and lost to them the other 2 times they played.

Many people on here are excited by MD winning games by 20ish points lately...And that's great..They should be...MD is playing great right now and looks like a sweet 16 team..at least. But Duke has beaten the Zags, Wake, Clemson, BC and GT by at least 19 points...beat FSU by 14...Only ended up winning by 9 against UCONN but had a huge lead on them(although UCONN doesn't look as good now). My point isn't to belittle what MD has done...Just to say that Duke has done this all year long...and against better competition.

I think MD has the athletic edge on Duke and that is something that could really cause a lot of problems for Duke.

OTOH, I think Duke is the smarter team...i think they are the better defensive team...In Cameron, they are the better shooting team...I think they are the better shooting team anyway BUT MD is shooting the ball great right now, so that must be taken into account.

You know Greivis will want to come back from his bad game at Cameron last year...This is his last game at Duke and he has played well there in the past...and he always wants to do well on the road since he is disliked so much. I do expect him to have a good game.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with the majority of what you said. Just to add to it and pick some nits...

I think the best four in the ACC are Maryland, Duke, GT & Wake. I'd put Clemson, FSU and VTech slightly behind them for various reasons, but it's really subjective.

Duke has a bigger and much deeper frontcourt, but talented isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of those players. Each of them does different things well, but I don't see Plumlee(s), Zoubek, Thomas and Czyz as any more talented than Milbourne and Williams. Gregory's athleticism could actually cause Duke some problems too. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I'd add Malcom Delaney to the list for POY voting. But let's face it, a lot of it has to do with the final standings. Scheyer is the best bet for first team ACC guard. At this point, Nolan Smith's numbers aren't as good as Vasquez, Delaney and Landesburg but he doesn't turn the ball over and if Duke finishes first, he has a case.

I also expect a split. Not sure if what happened last year favors Maryland or Duke. No Gerald Henderson makes a big difference. Cameron is the toughest place to play, but it's also a special game for opposing seniors. And it could have extra meaning in the standings this Saturday.

To echo what I posted in the other thread, Duke clearly has the better resume. But if Maryland won Saturday it would open things up a lot. I also agree that Duke is the better shooting team, but probably not in College Park this year.

Both teams play good defense. I'd like for you to expand on why you think Duke is better; but from a Terps perspective I'd say Hayes and Tucker are the weakest links and everybody else is above average defensively, including Bowie and Gregory.

To me, tempo will be the deciding factor in these games. Duke runs a smoother offense but Maryland can beat them in the open court, especially when Zoubek's in the game. It's not necessarily how many points are scored, but how they're scored. The less the shot clock is a factor, it favors Maryland and vice versa.

Dukes advantage- backcout quickness how can Hayes handle Smith, how will Grevis shoot. Whichever team shoots best here wins. Look at Duke Georgtown, Georgetown shot 72% are they that good? no.

Frontcourt- the edge to MD, Milborn,Williams and Mosley are better then all the Duke players. Zobek and Thomas are both busts. That being said all the mentioned players can have good games, they will help decide the game as well. Bench has to go to MD if Tucker plays like he has

Agree with the majority of what you said. Just to add to it and pick some nits...

I think the best four in the ACC are Maryland, Duke, GT & Wake. I'd put Clemson, FSU and VTech slightly behind them for various reasons, but it's really subjective.

Duke has a bigger and much deeper frontcourt, but talented isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of those players. Each of them does different things well, but I don't see Plumlee(s), Zoubek, Thomas and Czyz as any more talented than Milbourne and Williams. Gregory's athleticism could actually cause Duke some problems too. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I'd add Malcom Delaney to the list for POY voting. But let's face it, a lot of it has to do with the final standings. Scheyer is the best bet for first team ACC guard. At this point, Nolan Smith's numbers aren't as good as Vasquez, Delaney and Landesburg but he doesn't turn the ball over and if Duke finishes first, he has a case.

I also expect a split. Not sure if what happened last year favors Maryland or Duke. No Gerald Henderson makes a big difference. Cameron is the toughest place to play, but it's also a special game for opposing seniors. And it could have extra meaning in the standings this Saturday.

To echo what I posted in the other thread, Duke clearly has the better resume. But if Maryland won Saturday it would open things up a lot. I also agree that Duke is the better shooting team, but probably not in College Park this year.

Both teams play good defense. I'd like for you to expand on why you think Duke is better; but from a Terps perspective I'd say Hayes and Tucker are the weakest links and everybody else is above average defensively, including Bowie and Gregory.

To me, tempo will be the deciding factor in these games. Duke runs a smoother offense but Maryland can beat them in the open court, especially when Zoubek's in the game. It's not necessarily how many points are scored, but how they're scored. The less the shot clock is a factor, it favors Maryland and vice versa.

First of all, Czyz transferred.

Secondly, the best basketball player in the game on Saturday is Mason Plumlee...well, he is the most talented and highest upside basketball player.

I find it interesting that you left Singler off that list of Duke frontcourt players.

Milbourne is a talented and athletic guy but Thomas can shut him down defensively, as he has done to other talented and athletic guys in the past...but I expect Milbourne to get his..No doubt about that.

Zoubek isn't much more than a guy to lean on players, get fouls and rebounds...he has poor hands and is too soft around the basketball when trying to score..But he can give servicable minutes.

You really underrate the Plumlee brothers...They are extremely athletic and talented kids...Mason being the better of the 2.

And Singler is a matchup issue...If you put Mosely on him, he can go down low and post him up. I am guessing they put Milbourne on him as he has height and athleticism...Mosely probably goes on Scheyer....At least, that's what I would do...That gives them the best matchups they can have...The problem is, those 2 will work a lot on the defensive end, which may tire them out offensively.

I think the key to the game is going to be rebounding.

Dukes advantage- backcout quickness how can Hayes handle Smith, how will Grevis shoot. Whichever team shoots best here wins. Look at Duke Georgtown, Georgetown shot 72% are they that good? no.

Frontcourt- the edge to MD, Milborn,Williams and Mosley are better then all the Duke players. Zobek and Thomas are both busts. That being said all the mentioned players can have good games, they will help decide the game as well. Bench has to go to MD if Tucker plays like he has

Top 10 team...playing in the best conference in the country..Just beat Nova...yes, they are obviously good.

Singler is better than those 3 guys you mentioned and Mason Plumlee is the most talented guy in the game.

Thomas isn't a bust...he is exactly what they got him for...oh and he is shooting better this year.

And MD isn't a deeper team and their bench isn't more talented.

Georgetown was beat the next game by SFlorida, had a 14-0 lead and got blown out by Syracuse. No team is as good all the time as Georgetown was against Duke, no team would of beat Georgetown that day.And Vilanova is that good, Georgetwon just got em, thats collage basketball.

I did forget Singler, he is the best in the court, I considered him a backcourt player not front court.

I do feel the key will be Nolan Smith, you stop him and Maryland wins, Hayes will have his hands full. Might not be quick enough. Bowie might be needed here and can he step up?

Dont leave Mosley out of the picture, he can make a difference in things other then points

Thomas top 20 recruit? No, all Duke recruits are overrated, get recruited over and some transfer when they realize it.

Georgetown was beat the next game by SFlorida, had a 14-0 lead and got blown out by Syracuse. No team is as good all the time as Georgetown was against Duke, no team would of beat Georgetown that day.And Vilanova is that good, Georgetwon just got em, thats collage basketball.

I did forget Singler, he is the best in the court, I considered him a backcourt player not front court.

I do feel the key will be Nolan Smith, you stop him and Maryland wins, Hayes will have his hands full. Might not be quick enough. Bowie might be needed here and can he step up?

Dont leave Mosley out of the picture, he can make a difference in things other then points

Thomas top 20 recruit? No, all Duke recruits are overrated, get recruited over and some transfer when they realize it.

So what? MD lost to William and Mary..Guess that means they suck too, right?

So what? MD lost to William and Mary..Guess that means they suck too, right?

Granted, his posts aren't a bastion of clarity, but I'm not sure why you're getting all apoplectic about this. He said that Georgetown isn't - day to day - as good as their 72% shooting performance against Duke. He didn't say that Duke sucked, or that Georgetown sucked, he was saying that any team can get hot for a game (and perhaps that Duke has some defensive issues that were illustrated in the G'town game). I don't agree w/ his "talent evaluations," but sheesh.

William and Mary was on it that night, I was there. They would of beaten alot of teams that night. They did beat Wake as well.

Ok...and South Florida is a borderline tourney team and plays in a very tough conference.

Just stop being such a homer...Your points are all over the place and incredibly inconsistent...You have a complete double standard...Just admit that and it will be easier to discuss things.

Granted, his posts aren't a bastion of clarity, but I'm not sure why you're getting all apoplectic about this. He said that Georgetown isn't - day to day - as good as their 72% shooting performance against Duke. He didn't say that Duke sucked, or that Georgetown sucked, he was saying that any team can get hot for a game (and perhaps that Duke has some defensive issues that were illustrated in the G'town game). I don't agree w/ his "talent evaluations," but sheesh.

Correct. His point has been mis-represented.

I think Duke most likely wins this game due to the better frontcourt as SG says. Homecourt as well.

Correct. His point has been mis-represented.

I think Duke most likely wins this game due to the better frontcourt as SG says. Homecourt as well.

Meh, you guys are a lot more impressed with Duke's frontcourt than I am. They have no significant inside scoring threats. Singler is the one guy you have to worry about. I think Milbourne and Gregory will alternate defending him. Gregory's been playing about 19 minutes a game - I think he gets close to 30 against Duke unless Milbourne has early success defending Singler. Thing is, we'll get in big trouble against Duke if we double-team Singler with a guard, but he's very hard to single-cover on the perimeter.

Thomas and the Plumlees are nothing more than solid role players, imo. I don't see the greatness in Mason that SG does, though he's seen him a lot more than I have, so maybe I'm missing something. As much criticism as Zoubek gets for being awkward, I think he's more effective than those 3 - when he's not committing stupid fouls - last I checked, he had the best rebound rate in the ACC.

Bottom-line - if we can single-cover Singler, MD matches up really well with Duke.

Meh, you guys are a lot more impressed with Duke's frontcourt than I am. They have no significant inside scoring threats. Singler is the one guy you have to worry about. I think Milbourne and Gregory will alternate defending him. Gregory's been playing about 19 minutes a game - I think he gets close to 30 against Duke unless Milbourne has early success defending Singler. Thing is, we'll get in big trouble against Duke if we double-team Singler with a guard, but he's very hard to single-cover on the perimeter.

Thomas and the Plumlees are nothing more than solid role players, imo. I don't see the greatness in Mason that SG does, though he's seen him a lot more than I have, so maybe I'm missing something. As much criticism as Zoubek gets for being awkward, I think he's more effective than those 3 - when he's not committing stupid fouls - last I checked, he had the best rebound rate in the ACC.

Bottom-line - if we can single-cover Singler, MD matches up really well with Duke.

Mason will have, without question, the best talent and skill set on the court in this game....But saying that and saying he is at the point of reaching that potential is another thing...At this point, he is a role player...However, at any point, he could turn it on.

I agree with what many analysts have been saying about Duke...They are probably a sweet 16ish team...Going deeper than that will likely depend on Mason Plumlee's development.

Mason will have, without question, the best talent and skill set on the court in this game....But saying that and saying he is at the point of reaching that potential is another thing...At this point, he is a role player...However, at any point, he could turn it on.

I agree with what many analysts have been saying about Duke...They are probably a sweet 16ish team...Going deeper than that will likely depend on Mason Plumlee's development.

Kind of like most every season. A disciplined, good shooting, very well-coached team that struggles when they run into big, athletic teams.

(That's not meant to be a knock. Most teams struggle against teams like that.)

Archived