Sun: 21 roster spots are set going into Spring Training

JTrea81

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-orioles0213,0,4924460.story

The Orioles are basically looking for a backup catcher and rounding out the bullpen.

This however is not good news:

Pie will be joined on the bench by middle infielder Robert Andino, corner infielder Ty Wigginton and a reserve catcher, which likely will be veteran Chad Moeller, who mentored Wieters and the young pitchers in 2009.

Andino has no business being on a team that is supposed to "win as many games as they can."

Connolly goes on to mention this however:

Offensively, Andino is the most vulnerable, but he is out of options and the Orioles want a utility infielder who can play shortstop, which he proved last year that he could do.

Blake Davis would probably be better offensively than Andino and I know Scott Moore would be.

Hopefully it's just Connolly's thinking that Andino has a spot to lose, and not a preconceived notion by Trembley...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that no team could ever make the playoffs with a backup like Andino. You have to start one, like the Sox did last year with the Nick Greens of the world.

Give it a rest.

Andino was worse than a replacement player last season as his horrible bat made him worth -0.3 WAR. Green was at least slightly above replacement level at 0.4 WAR.

We can do so much better.

If the club were to sign Nomar on a minor league deal for example, he would be a major improvement over Andino.

You cannot say this team is committed to winning if Andino makes it north with the team without him having a monster spring.

Izturis is injury prone, so can you honestly say you'd be okay with Andino full time at SS for a month?

Andino was worse than a replacement player last season as his horrible bat made him worth -0.3 WAR. Green was at least slightly above replacement level at 0.4 WAR.

We can do so much better.

If the club were to sign Nomar on a minor league deal for example, he would be a major improvement over Andino.

You cannot say this team is committed to winning if Andino makes it north with the team without him having a monster spring.

Izturis is injury prone, so can you honestly say you'd be okay with Andino full time at SS for a month?

And, of course, there's context in your obsession with WAR that you are overlooking. Like sample size.

I think Andino did a great job last year.

You simply can not judge a player by math only.

You also have to believe your eyes.

Are you Stevie Wonder?

Andino is horrible....However, bringing in another back up IFer isn't really going to change things either.

Disappointing to see that right now, DH may be on the outside looking in...I know he didn't do anything to warrant a spot be handed to him but I think he should be in the pen.

Disappointing to see that right now, DH may be on the outside looking in...I know he didn't do anything to warrant a spot be handed to him but I think he should be in the pen.

This is the thing that I would be worried about from that article. Not the backup MIer.

And, of course, there's context in your obsession with WAR that you are overlooking. Like sample size.

Please tell me you aren't trying to say Andino is a good player.

You shouldn't even say that to disagree with me because he was horrible last season.

Do you understand what "worse than replacement level is?"

Archived