Sun: 21 roster spots are set going into Spring Training

JTrea81

Andino was worse than a replacement player last season as his horrible bat made him worth -0.3 WAR. Green was at least slightly above replacement level at 0.4 WAR.

We can do so much better.

If the club were to sign Nomar on a minor league deal for example, he would be a major improvement over Andino.

You cannot say this team is committed to winning if Andino makes it north with the team without him having a monster spring.

Izturis is injury prone, so can you honestly say you'd be okay with Andino full time at SS for a month?

A lot of teams that have been committed to winning have had players similar to Andino.

He makes sense as a defensive replacement after Izturis is pinch hit for, which should happen often imo. They could do better at backup SS, but this isn't anything to get up in arms over. The difference between having him on the bench and having Aubrey, Montanez, Moore, or whoever else is very little in terms of wins and losses.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you Stevie Wonder?

Andino is horrible....However, bringing in another back up IFer isn't really going to change things either.

Disappointing to see that right now, DH may be on the outside looking in...I know he didn't do anything to warrae you nt a spot be handed to him but I think he should be in the pen.

No I am not Stevie Wonder.

Are you Scott Boras??

Scott Moore has played 42 games at shortstop in the minors. He has a fielding percentage of .884.

Andino has an career ML OPS of .557.

Is he really a guy you want in the lineup on any day?

We don't have the luxury of just having a defensive replacement. Championship teams can do that because they have the luxury of doing so because of the makeup of their roster.

It doesn't have to be Moore, but he's a better option than Andino, and the Orioles can certainly find an even better option like Nomar if they want.

Going with Andino because he's "out of options" is just a lazy move.

I would laugh hysterically if any team tried to pick him up off of waivers...

We don't have the luxury of just having a defensive replacement. Championship teams can do that because they have the luxury of doing so because of the makeup of their roster.

Scott Moore can't play shortstop. That kind of rules him out as a backup shortstop.

Please tell me you aren't trying to say Andino is a good player.

You shouldn't even say that to disagree with me because he was horrible last season.

Do you understand what "worse than replacement level is?"

Edit: And thanks for the assumption that I am unaware of "worse than replacement level". Clearly, I'm the one who needs an education on WAR and replacement level values.

Yes, I'm saying he's a fantastic all world player :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that sweating the backup middle infielder thing is only something that would concern a person who has an axe to grind. We all wish it was someone better, but every team has weaknesses.

So, again, give it a rest.

It doesn't have to be Moore, but he's a better option than Andino, and the Orioles can certainly find an even better option like Nomar if they want.

Going with Andino because he's "out of options" is just a lazy move.

Why don't we have the luxury of a defensive replacement? We have two good pinch hitters in Pie and Wigginton and only 1 starter that should be pinch hit for. They also have backup OF and 1B/3B/DH pretty much covered. So what is this other bench player going to do for us? Yeah, if the guy can play SS, he can start occasionally there, but I'd want someone who can field well there.

Yes, I'm saying he's a fantastic all world player :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that sweating the backup middle infielder thing is only something that would concern a person who has an axe to grind. We all wish it was someone better, but every team has weaknesses.

So, again, give it a rest.

Every team doesn't play in the AL East.

Is this season about winning games, or carrying players just because they are out of options?

I hope he gets a shot at it this spring to prove you wrong...

Why? He's already proven that he can't play shortstop when he was, first, terrible at shortstop and then permanently moved to another position.

If we're not going to require that our backup shortstop be able to play shortstop, let's just sign Delgado to do it. I'm sure he'll out-OPS Moore.

Why don't we have the luxury of a defensive replacement? We have two good pinch hitters in Pie and Wigginton and only 1 starter that should be pinch hit for. They also have backup OF and 1B/3B/DH pretty much covered. So what is this other bench player going to do for us? Yeah, if the guy can play SS, he can start occasionally there, but I'd want someone who can field well there.

Whoever gets that backup middle IFer job will likely see some significant time at SS because Izturis is injury prone, and MacPhail doesn't make moves to fix things very quickly.

I'm sick of Andino coming up with runners on base and we actually have a decent bottom of the lineup it appears so that will probably happen more frequently.

The guy batted .194 with RISP with a .518 OPS.

Andino was the worst hitting backup SS in the majors with 200+ PAs and the 5th worst in the majors overall.

Is this season about winning games, or carrying players just because they are out of options?

And putting Scott Moore at shortstop is the way to accomplish this? I love your jab at me about how I don't understand below replacement level, yet you have no concern about defense. And you're obsession with him is ridiculous.

And putting Scott Moore at shortstop is the way to accomplish this? I love your jab at me about how I don't understand below replacement level, yet you have no concern about defense. And you're obsession with him is ridiculous.

For the combination of offense and defense, Moore at SS would be better than Andino.

And I'm not saying I want him there as my first option.

I'd love to see this team go out and sign Nomar frankly, but if not, Moore is better than anything else we've got for that bench spot IMO.

For the combination of offense and defense, Moore at SS would be better than Andino.

And I'm not saying I want him there as my first option.

I'd love to see this team go out and sign Nomar frankly, but if not, Moore is better than anything else we've got for that bench spot IMO.

You mean the guy who had a -0.3 WAR last year? See how that works?

Archived