Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

Since they are professionals, shouldn't they look professional? If I was an owner and had to pay out millions and millions of dollars to these players, the least the players could do is at least look like professional. I could almost live with neatly trimmed facial hair, but the long hair has got to go. I'd personally hold down guys like Manny, Arroyo, and Ronnie Belliard while someone cut their hair with hedge pruners.

What does this mean? Professional to who.

They are professionals, so maybe your narrow minded definition of professional needs a shave and a trim.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked those 1979-83 Oriole teams so much better if Murray, Dempsey, Dauer, Lowenstein, McGregor and Flanagan had been clean-shaven. :rolleyes:

Look, this isn't the biggest thing in the world. It is nowhere near as important as the momentous issue of whether the Orioles' road uniforms should say "Baltimore" on them or not. But the policy is stupid. These are grown men. And I have to tell you, I have never had a beard, but I wouldn't want to work for a company that had such a stupid policy.

I wish there was an option for indifferent, or better yet, who cares?

Seriously, I really don't care one way or another. Ball players are creatures of habit as it is, so is it really going to affect anyone, which in fact it wouldn't, if they don't shave for a month because they're on a hot streak? Looking like Johnny Damon circa 2004 isn't, and never will, make you play like Johnny Damon circa 2004. The players can talk about wanting to take the "pressure" off, or trying to be more "loose," but I think if that's what it takes for you to play loose and at ease then I'm not sure I can find you dependable as a player and a performer.

Uhhhh. Am I missing something? It's baseball we're talking about right? I couldn't care less what the players' facial hair looks like.

-m

Well, yes, you are missing something. An employer certainly has the right to ask his employees to follow reasonable rules. Which may include dress codes, working hours, etc. Baseball is a business, as such these players are subject to the owners wishes and are highly compensated for it. If Mr. Angelos and/or AM wish to present an image, so be it. If I was getting paid that what these guys are, I'd get a body wax if they desired. And, yes it is a game and being so they are lucky to be paid to play a game. Again, I don't really care one way or another about the policy, just a businessman's expectation for his employees.

Seems a shame Arrieta has to lose his neatly trimmed beard and Kakes has to scrap the Paul Bunyan look. :D

I voted No!

Baltimore has always been a blue collar town. Why can't players reflect that? I can understand wanting players looking professional and having a team first point of view. However I have to ask myself is it really necessary to ruthlessly stamp out all forms of self expression in our society?

Well, yes, you are missing something. An employer certainly has the right to ask his employees to follow reasonable rules.

And I would not disagree that employers have that right. However, my disagreement stems from my view that it's just baseball -- it's supposed to be fun. My beef is with the decision, not the right to make the decision.

-m

And I would not disagree that employers have that right. However, my disagreement stems from my view that it's just baseball -- it's supposed to be fun. My beef is with the decision, not the right to make the decision.

-m

I certainly agree that baseball "is supposed" to be "fun" and most and fans perceive it as a game and not a business or a game. I suspect many players, at a given point, lose the game aspect and it is just a job with too much travel and lousy hours. And, fans likewise, take the game too serious and instead of playing and enjoying the game, sit on their....and study stats, play fantasy, and become fanatics versus fans.

Archived