Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

I lived the same life as you, which is why I can't understand why people keep insisting that facial hair shows personality. No matter what I have looked like, I've been the same person. I just look better when I clean up.

And some people look better with facial hair than they do clean-shaven. Why not make it a matter of personal preference instead of forcing players to be clean-shaven?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And some people look better with facial hair than they do clean-shaven. Why not make it a matter of personal preference instead of forcing players to be clean-shaven?

I have yet to meet that person. I've met people who think they look better, but I haven't actually met any who do.

Well, he's made it very clear that he thinks he is the arbiter of how others should look and what others should do: conform to his personal preferences. From the Beatles on down, he's decided how everybody should look. The only rights he's mentioned is PA's alleged right to make people be clean shaven.

Well, he's made it very clear that he thinks he is the arbiter of how others should look and what others should do: conform to his personal preferences. From the Beatles on down, he's decided how everybody should look. The only rights he's mentioned is PA's alleged right to make people be clean shaven.

I've never said people HAVE to be clean shaven. I just said they look better when they do. It's an opinion, but apparently opinions offend some people...

I've never said people HAVE to be clean shaven. I just said they look better when they do. It's an opinion, but apparently opinions offend some people...

It's the creation of rules based on opinions that offends people. (I think)

Or perhaps the rationalization of a rule based on someone's opinion. Whichever is happening here.

It's the creation of rules based on opinions that offends people. (I think)

Or perhaps the rationalization of a rule based on someone's opinion. Whichever is happening here.

People should have a right to be ugly if they choose.

And since most of the players on the Orioles had no choice about where they play, they have no choice about how they grow their facial hair, or whether they look good or bad based on their facial hair. How about a rule that says anyone who was drafted by the Orioles, or traded to the Orioles without their consent, gets to do whatever they like with all of their hair?

For the record, I think people have the right to look however they want. You should be able to represent yourself however you want to. However, when the players put on the Orioles jersey, they don't only represent themselves, they represent the team and therefore the owner. In this situation, he gets final say.

The team is a reflection on Angelos (as is evidenced by the fanbase's hatred of him), so if he wants his team to be clean shaven and look professional, then he has that right.
Thank you Peter Angelos for making these guys shave. The Orioles will remain the most "professional" club in the bigs.

I don't understand the "professional" issue. I work in a large law firm. Presenting ourselves professionally, and having the confidence of our clients, is extremely important. But there are numerous attorneys here, and at any other big law firm I can think of, who have facial hair. My doctor has facial hair, and he's certainly a professional.

Looking like a slob is unprofessional. Having facial hair that is properly groomed and trimmed is not.

The team is a reflection on Angelos (as is evidenced by the fanbase's hatred of him), so if he wants his team to be clean shaven and look professional, then he has that right.

Does he? MLB is a special case. It's a government-aided monopoly, with an amateur draft. Most of the O's players had no choice in playing for the Orioles. So, for up to 15 years, you're telling someone they have no choice of facial hair because of bad luck.

I lived the same life as you, which is why I can't understand why people keep insisting that facial hair shows personality. No matter what I have looked like, I've been the same person. I just look better when I clean up.

My wife says I look better with a goatee, and won't let me shave.

I don't understand the "professional" issue. I work in a large law firm. Presenting ourselves professionally, and having the confidence of our clients, is extremely important. But there are numerous attorneys here, and at any other big law firm I can think of, who have facial hair. My doctor has facial hair, and he's certainly a professional.

Looking like a slob is unprofessional. Having facial hair that is properly groomed and trimmed is not.

I work with a substantial number of engineers who are considered subject matter experts who represent the Navy on big DoD programs who look like professional wrestlers or hippies or cowboys or some combination thereof.

Does he? MLB is a special case. It's a government-aided monopoly, with an amateur draft. Most of the O's players had no choice in playing for the Orioles. So, for up to 15 years, you're telling someone they have no choice of facial hair because of bad luck.

Nobody who gets drafted to play professional baseball should be complaining about "bad luck". You're getting paid loads of money to play a game. Shaving is quite literally the least they could do for their employer.

Archived