Pie continues to impress

ChaosLex

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand your support for Pie. But, if MacPhail, Trembley and the coaching staff are agreed that Luke Scott is not a major league 1Bman, I will take their word for it. Just think it's presumptuous to call it a "poor decision" at this point in time. It remains to be seen how Pie, Reimold and Scott will split up AB's between LF and DH, so the judgment stage can probably wait awhile. My own wish is that Scott do well enough to generate trade interest and give the FO some options if Reimold and Pie both continue to show high-ceiling potential during the course of this season. I'm bullish on all of Reimold, Pie and Snyder, so I think we could have some interesting choices in the LF/DH/1B arena by the end of the season.

I'm definitely not saying I think I know more than MacPhail and co, but don't you find it a little odd that they aren't at least trying to let him learn the position in the offseason and they've dismissed the conversion rather easily? Worst case scenario, is that he fails and is still the DH/back up OFer.

Regardless of what people think of Atkins, if he were to get hurt in ST, I'd rather see Scott get the 1B ABs with Wigginton backing up the corners. So why not let him work at it? He seems very willing to try.

If he is successful, then it makes the outfield picture that much more clearer as far as playing time goes and it also increases Scott's value.

I just find it odd that they haven't spent the time this offseason working on it.

Has there been any talk about Scott getting time at first this spring training?

I mean, is the Orioles plan to play Atkins 162 games? If he gets hurt or sucks, does that mean Wiggy gets the time?

Scott was fine at first last year and he said he started feeling more and more comfortable over there.

Such a foolish decision to sign Atkins.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.schmuck28feb28,0,2030426.column

Clearly, the talent is real, but it's not going to express itself if Pie has to sit around waiting for Reimold and/or Jones to come up lame. He needs to play regularly, and you can make a case that it would be in the best interests of both Pie and the team.

Reimold is coming off heel surgery and probably would benefit from a lighter schedule in left field, especially during the early weeks of the season. If he's swinging the bat well - or Luke Scott is not - then Trembley also can use him as the designated hitter and go with his speediest defensive outfield, which figures to be a pretty attractive option with the Orioles likely to sacrifice some defense at the corner infield positions.

What I'm trying to say is that the Orioles need to look at Pie as more than just an extra outfielder. If he takes another developmental leap, he would be a huge asset this summer and a very valuable commodity come next winter, when it comes time again for MacPhail to pursue a marquee cleanup hitter.

He's also great fun to watch, which ought to count for something.

Has there been any talk about Scott getting time at first this spring training?

I mean, is the Orioles plan to play Atkins 162 games? If he gets hurt or sucks, does that mean Wiggy gets the time?

Scott was fine at first last year and he said he started feeling more and more comfortable over there.

Such a foolish decision to sign Atkins.

Scott is just getting started with 1B prep today.

http://masnsports.com/2010/02/during-todays-workout.html

Archived