BA Top 100

winudi

Nice to see us "hold serve" with a better than average proportion of the top 100 given the graduations of Wieters and Tillman - as well as the recognition for Britton. IMO, BA has danced around Britton's advancement and potential but has given little indication that ZB would be well-inside the Top 100.

Looking forward, the only guy who might be here next year among these four should be Britton. Hopefully, we score with our first rounder this year and success from Hobgood. If a sleeper emerges, we could emerge with four or so again next year. I expect the overall depth in our system will continue to improve in 2010, but we will look like a young farm system again with few plus talents at Bowie and above when the year ends IMO.

In listening to the top 100 preview BA podcast, the two guys stated that Britton was one of the guys they adjusted late. Can't remember why they re-evaluated him, but it seems that the previous statements that he might not be a top 100 guy were amended recently.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's system ranks around 8th over all

1. Rays - 7 players

2. Indians - 5 combined ranking 214

3. Cubs - 5 - 353

4. Rangers - 4 - 81

5. Braves - 4 - 153

6. Giants - 4 - 166

7. Reds - 4 - 182

8. O's - 4- 204

9. Red Sox - 4- 207

17. Jays - 3 - 133

27. Yankees - 2- 88

It's nice that all four of our guys on this list are expected to arrive either in 2010 or by mid-2011.

I note that Matzek (23) and Wheeler (49) are on the list.

And Crow (40) and Green (52).

I will be more concerned if those guys are on next year's list, and Hobgood isn't. We knew BA wasn't that high on Hobgood to begin with, and nothing happened after the draft in 2009 that would have changed their minds. Hopefully in 2010 Hobgood shows why the Orioles drafted him so high, and next year he'll be on the list.

A few comments from BA's Will Lingo:

There is some debate among O's fans as to whether Matt Hobgood was the right pick at number five in last June's draft. What is your take on that?

"It's hard to tell at this point. They said they weren't trying to save money with the pick, but it did seem like they were. Then again, a lot of people underrated Matt Hobgood going into the draft, including us.

"I think it was a legit pick. High school pitching is so tough, though, it's really hit or miss. I really think it's too early to tell. I think he's a legit guy and a lot of people may have underrated him."

http://masnsports.com/2010/02/will-lingo-on-the-os-top-prosp.html

And Crow (40) and Green (52).

Matzek, Turner, Wheeler, Miller, Crow and Green are all ranked above Matt Hobgood who was taken before all of them.

Jordan's got to know something nobody else knows about this kid, but I haven't seen anything written saying he's got anything special that is going to make him a better player than all of these guys. He seems to profile as a #4-#5 starter that can eat innings at best, and you can find that in the later rounds.

Coffey or Berry could wind up being a better pitcher than Hobgood.

Matzek, Turner, Wheeler, Miller, Crow and Green are all ranked above Matt Hobgood who was taken before all of them.

Jordan's got to know something nobody else knows about this kid, but I haven't seen anything written saying he's got anything special that is going to make him a better player than all of these guys. He seems to profile as a #4-#5 starter that can eat innings at best, and you can find that in the later rounds.

Did you read Will Lingo's comment about Hobgood? He said it was a "legit pick" and that he may be underrated by some of the writers. When you're putting draftees who, in many cases, may not even have played on a pro team last year onto a top 100 prospect list, it's a reach.

Brignac still up there, with his defense getting a high mark...Really think he should be one of, if not our top target.

Sucks to see Green and Wheeler so high...Should have been taken over Hobgood...But of course, that just reinforces the idea that those guys are better prospects now...not that they neccassarily will be long term.

Also, Bell is the third best third base prospect, if you consider Wallace as a first baseman, which the Jays seem to.

Lars Anderson in the top 100 over Snyder is pretty ridiculous...

While I'm a big Snyder booster, I am not surprised he isn't in the top 100. He didn't do enough at AAA to warrant it. And frankly I don't care about the list much. Bergesen and Reimold weren't in last year's top 100, how are their futures looking now? Snyder just needs to keep making progress.

It's astounding that the post above yours quotes an expert saying Hobgood was widely under-rated and a "legit" pick which somehow you interpret as Hobgood being a 4/5 SP.

Way, way, way too early to be making any definitive statements on Hobgood. Lingo is already backtracking and saying most folks had him underrated.

Why do you think he's a #4/5 at best? Does his G/F ratio at Bluefield profile as 70 homers a season in OPACY?

From Callis chat on ESPN.com:

Jim Callis: The five guys I liked the best who didn't make it were: Diamondbacks 3B Bobby Borchering, Royals 1B Eric Hosmer, Marlins 3B Matt Dominguez, Orioles 1B Brandon Snyder and Twins OF Ben Revere.

He also stated his preference of Matusz over Bucholz.

Archived